Cheap-ish audio interface ( Under £80 )

AstroBenny

Good day,

I'm in need of an Audio interface (with USB output) to use with a Rode NT1 XLR microphone so I can use the mic with my PC.

Don't want to spend too much..

What are my options?

I don't like 2D games...I just couldn't get into them.. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I use the presonus audiobox USB to drive my studio monitors and it has xlr inputs on the front. Sweetwater is a really great site too, I suggest you buy from there.

I use the presonus audiobox USB to drive my studio monitors and it has xlr inputs on the front. Sweetwater is a really great site too, I suggest you buy from there.

Looks pretty decent. Any complaints? 

Looks pretty decent. Any complaints? 

not at all, works flawlessly! It comes in a white version too, but I can't seem to find it

not at all, works flawlessly! It comes in a white version too, but I can't seem to find it

Would it be possible to connect a pair of 3.5mm headphones to them? The "phones" port looks non-standard.

Here's a picture of it in my setup:

gallery_186854_2559_572511.jpg

The crib :D

Here's a picture of it in my setup:

gallery_186854_2559_572511.jpg

Looks like my old set up when I still had my bunk bed with a table below it

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Would it be possible to connect a pair of 3.5mm headphones to them? The "phones" port looks non-standard.

you will need an adapter but it will work

Focusrite Scarlet Solo is a good alternative

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

you will need an adapter but it will work

Could I plug a guitar into it as well to record to PC?

Could I plug a guitar into it as well to record to PC?

If you want to do that as well as voice you're better off with something like the Scarlett solo because it has a dedicated jack for guitar/instrument inputs so you wont need to buy an adapter 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

If you want to do that as well as voice you're better off with something like the Scarlett solo because it has a dedicated jack for guitar/instrument inputs so you wont need to buy an adapter 

There's different types of ports for whether it's a microphone or an instrument?

Why would I need an adapter when using the Audiobox USB?

so does the presonus audiobox see where it says instrument/microphone you see the xlr jack combo plug.

There's different types of ports for whether it's a microphone or an instrument?

Why would I need an adapter when using the Audiobox USB?

No there the same

If you just want to plug  a guitar into a pc just get a DI box and a cable adapter.

The Dick of the audio page!

so does the presonus audiobox see where it says instrument/microphone you see the xlr jack combo plug.

No there the same

If you just want to plug  a guitar into a pc just get a DI box and a cable adapter.

Well I would like to use the microphone to speak to friends so a DI box won't suffice, right?

Well I would like to use the microphone to speak to friends so a DI box won't suffice, right?

Nah that wont do the job. A audio interface will probably be best.

I just got home and i can help clear things up. The 2 inputs on the front of the audiobox usb are a XLR/7mm combo input. This means it will accept either a gutair or mic with an xlr cable in each of the inputs. The back outputs for headphones and speakers are all 7mm audio jacks, so to plug in headphones with a 3.5mm jack, you will need an adapter, which you can pick up for around $4 usd or about 3 pounds. If you get a scarlett, the only one under 80 pounds is the solo, which only has one input so you will not be able to record your gutair and plug in a mic at the same time. Hope this helps

Ah alright didnt see that it was a combo input

PSU Rankings

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2016 at 10:31 PM, Xizerz said:

I just got home and i can help clear things up. The 2 inputs on the front of the audiobox usb are a XLR/7mm combo input. This means it will accept either a gutair or mic with an xlr cable in each of the inputs. The back outputs for headphones and speakers are all 7mm audio jacks, so to plug in headphones with a 3.5mm jack, you will need an adapter, which you can pick up for around $4 usd or about 3 pounds. If you get a scarlett, the only one under 80 pounds is the solo, which only has one input so you will not be able to record your gutair and plug in a mic at the same time. Hope this helps

I just bought myself a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface :)

What exactly is the adapter I would need to connect 3.5mm headphones in to the audio interface?

1 hour ago, AstroBenny said:

I just bought myself a Focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface :)

What exactly is the adapter I would need to connect 3.5mm headphones in to the audio interface?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Premium-Quality-Headphone-Adapter-Gold/dp/B002JP6JEK
theres plenty of them all cheap just find one which delivers to you at a price your happy with. If your spending over a 5 you are being ripped off.

On 2/11/2016 at 6:31 PM, EndlessOyster said:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Adaptor-Premium-Quality-Headphone-Adapter-Gold/dp/B002JP6JEK
theres plenty of them all cheap just find one which delivers to you at a price your happy with. If your spending over a 5 you are being ripped off.

What exactly are the "line outputs" L and R on the back of the Audio interface? What would I use them for? Cheers.

Just now, AstroBenny said:

What exactly are the "line outputs" L and R on the back of the Audio interface? What would I use them for? Cheers.

its a output to send to a amp or a mixing desk

1 minute ago, EndlessOyster said:

its a output to send to a amp or a mixing desk

So if I'm just using headphones I can just use the front headphone port?

Out of interest why is there a Left and Right for the line output but not for headphone ports?

Just now, AstroBenny said:

So if I'm just using headphones I can just use the front headphone port?

Out of interest why is there a Left and Right for the line output but not for headphone ports?

Yes
headphones have left and right in a single jack. but mixing desks dont normally have stereo inputs in a single input.

53 minutes ago, EndlessOyster said:

Yes
headphones have left and right in a single jack. but mixing desks dont normally have stereo inputs in a single input.

What does the 48V Phantom Power button do?