Headphones paired with Amp or Sound card

blakers28

Well the issue im facing is that EVERY single headset ive chosen, ive returned and im wondering if its becuase i dont have a dedicated sound card. Im only using the SupremeFX onboard. And they either end up having too much bass and no trebles or great treble and no bass at all. Im wondering if maybe the past headsets i tried would have exactly what i need had i tried them with a sound card OR if i was right to return the headsets and need to look at buying a pair online like the V-Moda or Sennheiser or something of the like. 

In addition, all i have to go on are online reviews which still make it difficult to make an informed decision on since i still cannot try them before i buy them. Also me being picky isnt helping much either. Since im using a great Mic already, i just need a great pair of cans for with deep punchy bass as well as high treble. 

HA! I don't know where you read to get a sound card over a headphone amp, it's the complete opposite on this forum.

If you read the FAQ you would know why sound cards are a broken concept.

Stop buying headsets and start buying headphones.

And no, the reason why the audio sounds bad is because the headphones in the headset suck. Sound cards don't magically make everything better. Not only that, sound cards break a LOT and the drivers will kill your system. It's a bad idea all the way around.

edit - If you want the sound you are looking for, take my advice and buy a headphone amplifier and a DT 770 or 880.

In addition, all i have to go on are online reviews which still make it difficult to make an informed decision on since i still cannot try them before i buy them. Also me being picky isnt helping much either. Since im using a great Mic already, i just need a great pair of cans for with deep punchy bass as well as high treble. 

I highly doubt that the soundcard (be it onboard or another) is the problem.  It sounds to me like you need a more pricey set of headphones. Stay away from anything with a mic attatched.  The DT 770 have been recommeneded if you are not happy with the price of those then you might need to look at the studio gear from sony, like the MDR 7506 or MDR v6, they are not massively bassy but definately clear through most of the freq. range and are closed. Or you could get the MDR v55 this one has better bass, they do isolate but are leaky.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Alrighty,

Thanks again guys. I shall report back when i have results of my decision.

Thank You

MayFlower,

Do you have a link to this FAQ?  A search on this forum pulls no FAQ at all. Im either overlooking it and being dumb or something is going on on my end lol.

MayFlower,

Do you have a link to this FAQ? A search on this forum pulls no FAQ at all. Im either overlooking it and being dumb or something is going on on my end lol.

It's on top of the Audio forum, it's the first thread stickied at the top.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/18617-the-audio-boards-frequently-asked-questions-pre-answered/page-7#entry720411

By the way, can someone explain the specs that are important to watch out for when looking at Amps/headphones? 

I understand impedance is the amount of power needed to push the sound and the lower the number, the better.   For example, the http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/specifications.html ,

Its specs are:

• Frequency Response: +0.01, -0.01 dB (20Hz-20kHz)
  • THD 1 Khz 150 Ohms: 0.0016%
  • IMD CCIF 15 Ohms: 0.001%
  • IMD SMPTE: 0.002%
  • Noise (ref 400 mV): -105 dB
  • Max Output (33 Ohms): 613 mW
  • Output Impedance: 0.54 Ohms
  • Crosstalk (15 ohms): 65 dB
  • Channel Balance (at 50% volume): 0.6 dB

The DT 770 PRO:

Closed Studio Headphones
Bass Reflex Technology 
-For Improved Bass Response
Impedance: 250 ohms
Frequency Response: 5Hz-35KHz
Rugged Headband Construction w/ All Parts Replacable
Single Side Cord & Monitoring
Adjustable Soft Padded Headband
Circumaural Leatherette Ear Pads
Coiled Cconnecting Cable

Im not sure if the O2 has the power to push these headphones. Actually im sure they do but im not able to see how lol. Apologies, im not electronic savvy.

Thanks

You need to look for gain and power output at 250/300 ohms for amps.

I can't remember how much power the o2 has at those impedances (I'm on my phone) but it's enough. The o2 has 2x and 6x gain which is loud enough for up to 600 ohm headphones, so your fine.

Headphone specs don't really mean anything.

Ok before i go, this is what im gathering from all my reading. 

To get the sound ive been descibing this whole time, its better to go with an AMP vs a sound card. 

An amp basically allows you to increase the volume of headphones without the distortion? Im assuming in doing so, this should allow me to hear the thumping of the bass and hear the crisp trebles much better than i would on a internal sound card and definitely better than no card at all.

Im just surprised i dont notice any difference between no card and my onboard SupremeFX card lol.  Oh well.

Impedance is the measure of resistance in an AC circuit - it changes with frequency. For specs they list a "Nominal" impedance and there is no standard on how any given company derives this spec. For amplifiers, you need to pay attention to the output impedance; it should be obvious that headphones only have an input impedance. The general rule of thumb is to buy headphones with an input impedance at least 8 times greater than the output impedance of your amplifier. Soundcards on the market today have an output impedance around 10 ohms, so you would need headphones with an impedance rating of at least 80 ohms. However, the huge majrity of headphoens on the market have an impedance less than this 80 ohm spec, which is the main reason why we don't recommend soundcards. I'm 90% certain your onboard audio has the same op amp as most soundcards, which may be part of the reason you havent enjoyed all those low impedance headsets.

TLDR: Buy the DT 770 Pro and if you don't like them I'll eat my foot. An amp would be a good idea as well.

Ok before i go, this is what im gathering from all my reading.

To get the sound ive been descibing this whole time, its better to go with an AMP vs a sound card.

An amp basically allows you to increase the volume of headphones without the distortion? Im assuming in doing so, this should allow me to hear the thumping of the bass and hear the crisp trebles much better than i would on a internal sound card and definitely better than no card at all.

Im just surprised i dont notice any difference between no card and my onboard SupremeFX card lol. Oh well.

Because sound cards are not designed very well, they sound bad. You are correct on the amp.

Oooo, i forgot, since im using a BLue Yeti Mic, and its connection is USB, should i invest in a separate amp or card for it as well? Possible get one amp that may cover both the headphones and mic? Possible get a mic that uses standard mic jack or do nothing regarding the mic?

Last question i promise lol. This is all very interesting to me the more i read and the more i understand.

I think you are right about the 770's especially since they are closed back. Having open backs would get picked up on the mic all the time when im streaming my games online.

Im going to make a purchase today and hoepfully ill be done with this headache of a search. 

Thanks guys

USB should be fine. If you wanted to do serious recording, an "upgrade" would be an external recording interface (which would connect via USB as well) and anything that includes both headphone and mic isn't going to be very good at doing both. Recording interfaces don't concentrate much on headphone amplifying circuits, and high end headphone amps don't even think about microphone inputs.

Awesome, good to know! 

Alright that should do it for me. I really appreciate all of you for the assistance!

Ok there is an issue:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0TH-00JD-00022

AND

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-770-PRO-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1376847952&sr=1-2

One is listed haveing some sort bass reflex technology and is like 350.00!! Surely its not because of this bass tech? Also newegg has it listed as a 770 pro but the pic is an 880 and is open backed so the listing is a bit misleading. Does one have something the other doesnt that can justify that big of a price gap?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-Studio-Headphones-DT770-250-Ohm-FREE-Extended-Warranty-/181211105103?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item2a3106074f

If you have to pay tax from amazon, get it on eBay.

Those seem to be the newer models of the 770's? Not sure of the bass-reflex stuff. Look up some reviews. Either way, the cheaper 770 will sound fine. If you are spending the $350, there are better headphones. 

The version on Newegg is the non-pro 880 in the image. Just... don't look at Newegg marketplace items.

the one from newegg has infra red things that change the stereo sound based on how your head is turned.

at least it looks like it, with that weird t bar thing on top

HT most likely stands for head tracking and is why it's so expensive.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

And now the http://www.ebay.com/...=item2a3106074f is on its way. 

Thanks much for all the helpful info. I did a ton of research and it also seems the 770 beats out the VModa Crossfades too. Of course this only based on what ive been reading.

Just got my DT 990's and they're pretty sweet, so I'm sure you'll love your 770's. Fit is a little strange, and treble is harsh ("s" sounds), but that's what the break in/burn in process is for.

Exactly, im looking forward to harsh trebles becuase i know they will sound better over time. The problem i kepts running into with ALL of these now returned headsets was no treble at all. I wouldnt notice any hissing of the S or anything close . It was always either too bassy with no treble or no bass at all. I kepts trying to find that all around good headset/headphone that had both