ALDI selling half decent computers (AUS)

slightlyjaded

So this turrned up yesterday, and I didn't pay much attention to it because...ALDI....

http://aldi.medion.com/md8804/au/?refPage=aldi

It's a half decent computer system current gen for 800 bucks australian. I say half for a reason. It has no graphics card, they don't tell you details of the motherboard, and no idea what the psu is, or even what it's rated for.

What it does include however is a low spec skylake processor, 8GB of ddr4 ram, a 128 GB ssd, and a 2TB HD. It's in a midi tower, so if it has even one pcie slot to mount a graphics card, this is the start of a decentish system.

Yes you could spend over double this on quality components with the same specs, but for a family member for light gaming and facebook use?

Yeah, I saw that the other day.

Thought it was actually a good deal for a computer with those specs.

Although, I laughed as the brochure showed in one section being DDR4 and one section being DDR3.

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

It isn't really that cheap, it will probably have a shit mobo and a PSU just as bad.

1 x Intel Core i5 6400 - $279.00ea
Total: $878.00 - @pccasegear.com 28/01/2016

i can give some insight here:

medion's power supply OEM of choice is FSP group, mine caught fire.

their motherboards are a marvel of DRM engineering, not only does every medion i've seen out there "mysteriously" die on its 4th anniversary, they start to act up really funny if you change internal hardware, and on mine they managed to bodge mount the STOCK INTEL COOLER resulting in a painful bend in the motherboard...

(i didnt know you could mount those the wrong way either...)

they're a great stopgap solution if you need a computer NOW, are gonna replace it 4 years from now either way, and dont care about upgrades.

It isn't really that cheap, it will probably have a shit mobo and a PSU just as bad.

V300 SSDNow :P

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Uh. I wouldn't spend 800$ on that thing. The mobo and PSU are probably 100% shit.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Uh. I wouldn't spend 800$ on that thing. The mobo and PSU are probably 100% shit.

refer to my post, i've gutted two medions, i know enough xD

you forgot shipping, time spent Faffing about etc.....

You forgot to include P+H (with casegear that's never cheap), and win 10 upgrade (yes it's a piece of shit, and most OEM's an do the upgrade for free)

And? They probably use the cheapest SSD they can find, so why can't I?

Because it goes as slow as a hard drive after a bit of usage.... might as well get a 1tb HDD

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

The stuff you use don't account for cheaper prices as pre built system most of the time come with cheaper component and you can reduce the prize by buy window key off reddit and getting motherboard with built in wifi. 

Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDV Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($94.00 @ IJK) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.00 @ Centre Com) 
Case: Silverstone PS09B MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.00 @ Storm Computers) 
Power Supply: Corsair VS 350W ATX Power Supply  ($48.00 @ CPL Online) 
Total: $707.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-28 19:48 AEDT+1100

Add Windows/wifi addon card for 60 AUD. 

Magical Pineapples

you forgot shipping, time spent Faffing about etc.....

You forgot to include P+H (with casegear that's never cheap), and win 10 upgrade (yes it's a piece of shit, and most OEM's an do the upgrade for free)

Windows 10 is a free upgrade, the shipping would be $33.

Because it goes as slow as a hard drive after a bit of usage.... might as well get a 1tb HDD

They are not as low as HDDs, but they are definitely not fast SSDs

I will just say my opinion of this is the same as dell, the components that they do list (basically only the cpu here) are quality and as listed. The rest is the cheapest piece of shit they can find. I consider this the start of a low spec pc build for a friend/ relative that won't need more than basic upgrades for a year (yesd I consider a gpu a basic upgrade, and I'd probably the replace the PSU at the same time.

i can give some insight here:

medion's power supply OEM of choice is FSP group, mine caught fire.

The FSP group is one of the largest manufacturers of power supplies ...

Some of the best rated consumer PSUs are made by FSP.

sure they also produce cheap sh*t, but the name alone doesn't account for anything ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I refuse to buy electronics fr Aldi, Kmart, 2 Dollar shops, etc because of the shit components they use (mainly the PSU's, mobos and coolers)

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

The FSP group is one of the largest manufacturers of power supplies ...

Some of the best rated consumer PSUs are made by FSP.

sure they also produce cheap sh*t, but the name alone doesn't account for anything ...

well... medion takes all cheap sh*t, then asks the OEM to make it even cheaper sh*t, and then ducktapes that together into a pc.

they have actually released computers where the GPU was supposed to provide all case airflow to save on that 1 dollar fan...

Hah. So this is the PC my friend was talking about. 

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

I refuse to buy electronics fr Aldi, Kmart, 2 Dollar shops, etc because of the shit components they use (mainly the PSU's, mobos and coolers)

Kmart has some of the worst headphones ever. They just break

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

well... medion takes all cheap sh*t, then asks the OEM to make it even cheaper sh*t, and then ducktapes that together into a pc.

I am just saying, that your logic is flawed.

In fact Medion is owned by Lenovo now. Does it make that PC any worse or better? probably not.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I am just saying, that your logic is flawed.

In fact Medion is owned by Lenovo now. Does it make that PC any worse or better? probably not.

i've seen a medion laptop without a fan controller, hows that?

(as in, fan was either off, or 100%)

they are the absolute bottom of the barrel garbage, cutting price wherever possible to fit that aldi price point.

they have actually released computers where the GPU was supposed to provide all case airflow to save on that 1 dollar fan...

So walmart?