SpeedFan and 3-pin fans

namarino

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with the SpeedFan program? Do you know if it supports 3-pin fan control? Thanks for the help!

only if your motherboard does

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

No none of them do. the 4th pin on the header is the pin that controls speed or RPM. Without it there is no way to control the speed without an inline adapater.

No none of them do. the 4th pin on the header is the pin that controls speed or RPM. Without it there is no way to control the speed without an inline adapater.

Wut. You can control fan speed without a 4-pin plug. Not as accurately as a 4-pin, but definitely controllable.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Wut. You can control fan speed without a 4-pin plug. Not as accurately as a 4-pin, but definitely controllable.

Got it. The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of getting a pair of Gentle Typhoons for a radiator and they have only 3 pins. I don't know if there's any downside to that though...

Incorrect. 4th pin is for PWM control which is more accurate than DC control of 3pins. There are ton of ways to control 3pins. Starting from manual knobs and ending to Speedfan using GPU temps as control source.

Got it. The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of getting a pair of Gentle Typhoons for a radiator and they have only 3 pins. I don't know if there's any downside to that though...

Controlling 3pins isn't as accurate and you will have higher rpm starting point. Something like 40% as lowest running speed. You can go for 0%/rpm but nothing in between. My Spectre Pros could go down to 30% after been spinning for awhile but required 40% to start from 0.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hey guys, does anyone have experience with the SpeedFan program? Do you know if it supports 3-pin fan control? Thanks for the help!

I control 3-pin case fans using SpeedFan works like a charm. I'm assuming the fans are plugged to a motherboard header ...BIOS setting should be DC mode not PWM mode.