Cat.6 only 100mbps in a new House

Hey everyone,

I recently moved into a new house and we have our ethernet wired through the walls. All cables end in the "networking room", where they are connected to a switch -> router -> modem. To connect everything I used only cat.6 TIA/EIA-568-B cables. So here comes my problem, when connected directly to the switch I get 1Gbit/s, but when connected with the cables that are wired through the wall I only get 100mbit/s.

According to the specifications of my electrian (the only spefication I got...) they used cat.6 cables capable of up to 600mhz. Which according to my knowledge should be more than enough for 1Gbit/s.

Form what I've read only 2 pairs in the cable are used for 10/100 mbit/s. What's up with the other 2 pairs? :o

https://www.iplocation.net/rj45-wiring

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIA/EIA-568#Wiring

What could be the source of my problem?

- It's probably not distance, because I get the same speeds in every Room.

- It's not the Network adapter (I checked by pluging it in directly).

+ Worng wiring..?

+ Wrong cable used..?

If anyone has an idea I would be very grateful!

PS: sorry if my english isn't perfect, I'm not a native speaker.

My first idea would be to confirm that the cables are indeed what they claim they are.

And don't worry about your English; I didn't even notice until you mentioned it :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Run a test on each of the cables using a cable tester. See if they all work. I have had cables where the second set of conductors is not working, so only the first set worked, and I got 100mbit/s speeds. After checking it with my cable tester, I found that a couple wires in the sockets were not terminated very well (the cable used was shit cable from china, the conductors are far too thin and do not reliably make contact in the termination jacks)

So I would first try testing each run with a cable tester to make sure all 8 conductors are connected correctly

"Only" 100 mbps;p

well they're supposed to be gigabit.  Everything worth using's been gigabit for like 10 years now

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

well they're supposed to be gigabit.  Everything worth using's been gigabit for like 10 years now

I have 2mbps connection so anything above that is a dream for me

Run a test on each of the cables using a cable tester. See if they all work. I have had cables where the second set of conductors is not working, so only the first set worked, and I got 100mbit/s speeds. After checking it with my cable tester, I found that a couple wires in the sockets were not terminated very well (the cable used was shit cable from china, the conductors are far too thin and do not reliably make contact in the termination jacks)

So I would first try testing each run with a cable tester to make sure all 8 conductors are connected correctly

That's a good idea, I'll try that!

My first idea would be to confirm that the cables are indeed what they claim they are.

Yeah, but how? The guy who sold them will claim they are legit for sure...

I have 2mbps connection so anything above that is a dream for me

to the internet, right?  Yeah mines not great either (well under a gigabit) but having all the networking in your house be from this decade is great for transferring files between computers :)

what's the total distance through the wall? make sure your switch is PoE if they're over 100ft, check for signal interference from power lines which should've been insulated

for that matter why cat6 aka cat 5e, you could've gone with cat7 or 8 which is basically the same except better shielding for data integrity

might I suggest adding wifi A/C AP's?

there's a lot of factors but it could all come down to poorly managed switch, check your settings on everything

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

what's the total distance through the wall? make sure your switch is PoE if they're over 100ft, check for signal interference from power lines which should've been insulted

for that matter why cat6 aka cat 5e, you could've gone with cat7 or 8 which is basically the same except better shielding for data integrity

there's a lot of factors but it could all come down to poorly managed switch, check your settings on everything

well the switch is an unmanged Netgear GS308, not many settings to change :P

I got an Asus RT-AC56U Router for wifi, sure the wifi could be better but it works for me. I don't really feel the need to add more AP's, altough I did think about buying an Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC-PRO :P

The Cable length is between 10-30 meters (depending on the room), I don't really think length is the issue. But I could ask a friend to try a PoE switch, thanks for the input ;)

what's the total distance through the wall? make sure your switch is PoE if they're over 100ft, check for signal interference from power lines which should've been insulted

PoE has NOTHING to do with distance. Anything rated gigabit has to output strong enough signals and accept weak enough signals to be able to link over 100m (over 300 feet) of good condition Cat5e or better. A PoE (Power over Ethernet) switch won't magically increase distances. In fact the distance a PoE device can receive adequate power fron the switch can sometimes be less than the distance the same device can link at if externally powered, with the same wiring.

Also there is no Cat8 yet, and Cat7 is a (completely unofficial and made up) name for STP Cat6a (STP = shielded twisted pair, UTP = unshielded twisted pair)

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

have you tried each wire attached to the router? unplug from switch and test a wire you know you were getting slow speeds from directly to the router

if you suddenly have more speed it's the switch in some capacity

if it's still slow check the router with another wire, if it's suddenly faster then it was the wire

if it's still slow check a cable against the modem, etc just repeat

the answer is always test everything all the time, this should've been checked before you even put up drywall

Spoiler

CPU: TR3960x enermax 360 AIO Mobo: Aorus Master RAM: 128gb ddr4 trident z royal PSU: Seasonic Prime 1300w GPU: 5700xt, 5500xt, rx590 Case: c700p black edition Display: Asus MG279Q ETC: Living the VM life many accessories as needed Storage: My personal cluster is now over 100tb!

PoE has NOTHING to do with distance. Anything rated gigabit has to output strong enough signals and accept weak enough signals to be able to link over 100m (over 300 feet) of good condition Cat5e or better. A PoE (Power over Ethernet) switch won't magically increase distances. In fact the distance a PoE device can receive adequate power fron the switch can sometimes be less than the distance the same device can link at if externally powered, with the same wiring.

looks like you're right, for some reason I remembered cat6 having issues after 100ft much less 100m and poe being a solution, a data loss/integrity problem

oh well

Spoiler

what's the total distance through the wall? make sure your switch is PoE if they're over 100ft, check for signal interference from power lines which should've been insulated

The only thing POE will possible do is ruin some of his devices if they accept the power when they're not suppose to. The POWER part in PoE means it will POWER A DEVICE, not have anything to do about boosting the signal level. You know, like power a business grade AP.  

The only thing POE will possible do is ruin some of his devices if they accept the power when they're not suppose to. The POWER part in PoE means it will POWER A DEVICE, not have anything to do about boosting the signal level. You know, like power a business grade AP.

While this could be true, I've never seen a device actually cause a switch to deliver power on the port when it wasn't supposed to - in other words I've never seen the switch erroneously detect a device requesting power. My experience lies solely with HP managed PoE switches, and netgear and engenius unmanaged PoE switches (all using 802.3af or 208.3at, not any sort of nonstandard PoE like passive 24V). Of my company's 100,000 customers, I'd estimate about 40% of them are connected to HP PoE switches and 15% of them to one of the unmanaged switches. So over 50,000 residents, with some active installs as old as 10 years, and I haven't heard of someone's equipment getting fried by our hardware. It's usually lightning hitting the building and making it into the ethernet.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

i would say cables not wired correctly or cable with 1 of the conductor interrupted (unlikely if you have the problem in all the rooms).

can you upload a picture of the cable pinout?

Three things I can think of:

1. One of the pairs is down or not connected. You should be able to take the face plate of the wall-plug to check

2. Your adapter is in low power mode. I know for example that some laptops will drop their adapter speed down to 100Mbps when on battery

3. You have a dud cable somewhere, very possibly one of your patch leads

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If you're getting 100Mbps throughout the house then the problem is either the cables or the switch. Make sure the switch is not hard set to 100Mbps and make sure the port you are testing from is not hard set to 100Mbps (disable auto-negotiate and try forcing 1000Mbps to see if that helps). The chances of your cables being CAT5 or below are slim unless the house was wired up prior to CAT5e.

-KuJoe