How to slow a fan down

PaulPaul

One fan in my case which is the front in take spins at 1300rpm all the time which is loud and unnecessary.

Is there an easy way to slow this down? I have a MSI z87-g43 mobo

Thankyou

One fan in my case which is the front in take spins at 1300rpm all the time which is loud and unnecessary.

Thankyou

I assume you have these plugged into your motherboard. If that is the case, have you checked the BIOS for a fan controller?

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

If your board has bios fan control, you could try to reduce the speed that way. If it doesn't, no worries because you can simply purchase a 5v or 7v fan adapter and that'd reduce the speed fo the fan.

I assume you have these plugged into your motherboard. If that is the case, have you checked the BIOS for a fan controller?

Really?  I assume it's plugged directly into the PSU with a molex adapter (sounds like it)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Really?  I assume it's plugged directly into the PSU with a molex adapter (sounds like it)

I assumed the same thing honestly. Giving the benefit of the doubt maybe? I guess i worded that in hopes it was true.

Intel Core i7-6700k | 2 X Gigabyte 4GB GTX 970 Overclocked Edition | 16GB (4X4GB) DDR4 2133MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum | MasterCase Pro 5

ASUS Z170 Deluxe Motherboard | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro + Seagate 2TB Storage | Corsair Hydro H80i GT | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | Corsair HX850i

7V adapter

you can get them for 2$ on amazon/ebay

so instead of 12V they only give 7V to the fan

so it will spin at about 60%

noctua-na-src7-low-noise-adapter-for-4-p

It is connected to the motherboard. In the aux1 fan header, 3 pin.

Then it should be possible to control it by either changing the settings in the BIOS or in Windows.  If all else fails, get one of those resistor wires shown above and do it "manually"

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

some people would suggest using low noise adapters ir PWN controller, but the thing with them is that they cost Money

if you want to be ghetto just put a pencil between the fan blades, that should slow it down plentfuly

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

some people would suggest using low noise adapters ir PWN controller, but the thing with them is that they cost Money

if you want to be ghetto just put a pencil between the fan blades, that should slow it down plentfuly

wouldn't that be louder than just letting it run at full speed?  And possibly damage the fan?

wouldn't that be louder than just letting it run at full speed?  And possibly damage the fan?

if it's getting louder then you have to push it in deeper, eventualy the fan should become inaudible

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

3 Pin fans can be MoBo (BIOS) controlled by the MoBo supplying them with less voltage if you can find no control in the BIOS for this fan speed you can reduce the voltage yourself either by plugging the fan into a controller or by putting a resistor in series with the fan supply (this in series resistor is easiest done by using one of the pre made voltage convertors shown above).

Sometimes (perhaps most famously by Noctua) these adaptor wires are called ULNA (ultra low noise adaptor) or LNA (low noise adaptor).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

if it's getting louder then you have to push it in deeper, eventualy the fan should become inaudible

Just so I make sure we're imagining the same thing here, you're suggesting having a pencil slightly in the way of the fan blades so they rub on it as they go around, like having a card in the spokes of your bike?

Just so I make sure we're imagining the same thing here, you're suggesting having a pencil slightly in the way of the fan blades so they rub on it as they go around, like having a card in the spokes of your bike?

yes

alternatively you can punch the pencil all the way trough fan blades so it jamms it and stops the fan from spinning

Nope, I assume,  he is talking about the pencil being shoved right in preventing the fan from turning.

"This too shall pass"

yes

alternatively you can punch the pencil all the way trough fan blades so it jamms it and stops the fan from spinning

lol ok I stand by all my comments then, I think that would probably be louder as the fan comes by and hits the pencil ~100 times a second, and could damage or wear out the fan blades and/or motor.

Nope, I assume,  he is talking about the pencil being shoved right in preventing the fan from turning.

well, that would do the job, but then, just unplug it?  :wacko:

we take the hardware to the limit, push them over it, and run Commercials inbetween, records get broken, chips get burned, power supplies explode and the hardware just gives out

pc master race we are the tinkerers we are the DIY we are the enthusiasts

I thought you were going for the humour angle I did not realise you were serious (would imagine that the noise as the fan blades hit the pencil would be jarring).

"This too shall pass"

I thought you were going for the humour angle I did not realise you were serious (would imagine that the noise as the fan blades hit the pencil would be jarring).

yeah, me too - that's why I was questioning the suggestion

@Ryan_Vickers

I have rather mucked up, I have conflated you and Dx member whose initial suggestion was 'Stick a pencil in it'.

Note to self pay more attention to who said what before posting.

"This too shall pass"

Thankyou

When you do find your way into BIOS , if you have a 3-pin fan connected to your motherboard check that you have it set to DC, if its a 4-pin fan plugged into your motherboard header set to PWM mode.