Is it just me, Or is chrome getting worse?

So I don't know if anyone else here has noticed but Chrome in the video department is getting worse performance wise, even on Chrome OS.

Running Netflix or even Youtube causes the videos to become out of sync, even on a strong fast connection and having HW acceleration enabled.

I could understand on 1 PC but on all my PCs (Desktop, work laptop, chromebook) they all fall out of sync, worst I noticed it on was the WAN show, but under Firefox its fine.

Is anyone else having this issue?, Is chrome really becoming crap?

Thoughts

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

IDk  i uninstalled chrome about 3-4 days ago.

Now i use a combination of Chromium, Firefox and Edge.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Use the 64-bit version of chrome, havent had a problem. under the download chrome button, click download chrome for another platform

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

The final straw was when they removed Java support.

Trying to go all HTML5? Supprising since Android is Java based

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Another thing they need to sort out is their sandboxing system, it chews RAM

Don't have any problems with chrome. Weird that you're running into so many issues.

The final straw was when they removed Java support.

Does anyone still use Java applets? The only ones I know are fairly old.

That being said, I'm glad we're getting rid of NPAPI stuff in favor of HTML5 stuffs, NPAPI's about as bad as Flash in terms of security. 

Trying to go all HTML5? Supprising since Android is Java based

That's not how this works. Not all "Javas" are the same. There's millions of devices that run Java code, including a lot of big applications for both windows/linux. Java Applets, which use NPAPI to run in webbrowsers is old and deprecated, which is why Google removed it from chrome. This also means the Unity web plugin and Silverlight don't work anymore, but you should really be using WebGL and HTML5 for those anyway.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Use the 64-bit version of chrome, havent had a problem. under the download chrome button, click download chrome for another platform

But it still doesn't explain why Chrome OS is affected also

Don't have any problems with chrome. Weird that you're running into so many issues.

Does anyone still use Java applets? The only ones I know are fairly old.

That being said, I'm glad we're getting rid of NPAPI stuff in favor of HTML5 stuffs, NPAPI's about as bad as Flash in terms of security. 

That's not how this works. Not all "Javas" are the same. There's millions of devices that run Java code, including a lot of big applications for both windows/linux. Java Applets, which use NPAPI to run in webbrowsers is old and deprecated, which is why Google removed it from chrome. This also means the Unity web plugin and Silverlight don't work anymore, but you should really be using WebGL and HTML5 for those anyway.

The problem with some websites, NowTV being my main one (Netflix on HTML5) is requirements for Silverlight, when I am working under Linux they don't work, or at least without using moonlight which isn't supported now.

But I agree, HTML5 and WebGL should be the standard, although a new type of flash is supposed to be coming out, complete rebase I believe.

The problem with some websites, NowTV being my main one (Netflix on HTML5) is requirements for Silverlight, when I am working under Linux they don't work, or at least without using moonlight which isn't supported now.

But I agree, HTML5 and WebGL should be the standard, although a new type of flash is supposed to be coming out, complete rebase I believe.

If it's not HTML5, Adobe shouldn't bother.

And really, you can achieve DRM using HTML5 too, so I don't know why this nowTV insists on using silverlight, especially since MS actually announced End-of-Life back in 2012. Even Edge doesn't support silverlight anymore.

Also, I found this fun little note on mozilla's blog:

Mozilla intends to remove support for most NPAPI plugins in Firefox by the end of 2016. Firefox began this process several years ago with manual plugin activation, allowing users to activate plugins only when they were necessary. This decision mirrors actions by other modern browsers, such as Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, which have already removed support for legacy plugins.

Source

So, if this NowTV doesn't change by the end of this year, there'll be only IE and older versions of browsers that still support Silverlight and Java applets.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

If it's not HTML5, Adobe shouldn't bother.

And really, you can achieve DRM using HTML5 too, so I don't know why this nowTV insists on using silverlight, especially since MS actually announced End-of-Life back in 2012. Even Edge doesn't support silverlight anymore.

Also, I found this fun little note on mozilla's blog:

Source

So, if this NowTV doesn't change by the end of this year, there'll be only IE and older versions of browsers that still support Silverlight and Java applets.

Sky Go (for UK Sky Subscribers) is also Silverlight only and Amazon Prime Video uses Silverlight by default with an option to change to flash, neither have any support for HTML5.

WebTV in general has to shake up this year or many services will end up dying a death due to users being unable to access content.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Silverlight is still supported, latest release was 16/01/2016 but its an old piece of technology, HTML could easily do this with less overhead and the ability to control their own system better.

I never understood why they needed locked systems like this.

Chrome OS on the other hand supports NowTV dispite it been on Linux because they can get the licences to work it, Netflix isn't even fully supported on Linux because its Linux. oh and the fact they still have silverlight support. suppose its better than no HTML.

But as said in OP, Chrome seems to be getting worse for me, more proof that open source seems to be winning everything I suppose.