Microsoft blames "networks" for NFL's surface tablets malfunctioining

AlTech

post-89336-0-21822500-1453725514.png

In the NFL, New England Patriot's Surface tablets malfunctioned and disturbed their coaches. As a result their coaches weren't able to assit them fully in one of the rounds. According to Microsoft the malfunction was caused by the networks and not the actual hardware.

On the Patriots sideline, they're having some trouble with their Microsoft Surface tablets," Washburn said. "That last defensive possession, the Patriots coaches did not have access to those tablets to show the pictures to their players. NFL officials have been working at it. Some of those tablets are back in use, but not all of them. A lot of frustration that they didn't have them that last possession.

Some context:

Microsoft has a $400 million deal with the NFL that ensures the league will use its tablets on the sideline.

This is similar to the issue the Pittsburgh Steelers had against the Patriots earlier this season, when they had trouble with their headset communication system.

And this is what Microsoft had to say:

Our team on the field has confirmed the issue was not related to the tablets themselves but rather an issue with the network. We worked with our partners who manage the network to ensure the issue was resolved quickly.

YAY! Kudo to Microsoft, the game must continue and so they fixed the issue in a timely manner.

Leave a comment below!

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2016/01/new_england_patriots_have_malf.html

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

how exactly did they "fixed" the issue since, quote

Some of those tablets are back in use, but not all of them

how exactly it's not a HW issue, if it was the network all those issue could be solved

how exactly it's not a HW issue, if it was the network all those issue could be solved

They talked to the network providers and they fixed the issue.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Network issues? I assume that means wifi problems? Why on earth would they rely on wifi?

Also, Microsoft need to ditch the Marvell wifi card and ditch it fast.

I don't know.. how can it be hardware related if all Surface Pro's fail all at once. That doesn't make any sense.

Even a software bug should not cause this, as it worked just fine before, so only some should be affected.

So, it must be the network system.

Network issues? I assume that means wifi problems? Why on earth would they rely on wifi?

Also, Microsoft need to ditch the Marvell wifi card and ditch it fast.

I read that they upload each play to the cloud and the information store gets sync on all other Surfaces on the same network. I don't know how the game is played btw

The reason some were fixed and others werent is probably simply because they hadnt picked them back up yet. My phone is sitting on my desktop it is  currently both working and broken. I wont be fixed on which one it is until I pick it up and check.

You are seriously delusional if you think that it's even possible for all those tablets to break at the same time without outside influence.

In other words, they were not broken to begin with.

In other words, they were not broken to begin with.

oh right ... so there weren't a bunch of people reporting HW issues with their brand new Surface tablets

remember even Linus saying something about that

oh right ... so there weren't a bunch of people reporting HW issues with their brand new Surface tablets

Yes, hardware failure on 1 tablet is possible. Hardware failure on 2, 3, 4,5 ,6, etc. tablets at the exact same time is extremely improbable. Probably something similar to getting hit by lightning while getting attacked by a shark.

Driver issues (mostly Intel integrated graphics, as up to this day, their drivers are awful under Windows 10), and that was on the Surface Pro 4. They use 1 gen older devices, the Pro 3. They used to use the Pro 2, when the Pro 3 was out.

Rounds?! Ehh, there aren't rounds in football. There's quarters.

Case: NZXT H500i. Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A. CPU: i7 9700k OC @ 5.0GHz. GPU: EVGA 2080 FTW3 CPU Cooler: NZXT X62. Memory: G. Skill Ripjaws 32Gb 3200mhz. Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD /  120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD  /  WD Caviar Black 3TB / WD Caviar Green 4TB. . PSU: Corsair AX760. Monitor: 2x Acer XB270HU. Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB. Mouse: Corsair Glaive. 

That is not the issue.

http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-nfl-tablet-reliability-2016-1

http://www.winbeta.org/news/no-people-microsoft-surface-didnt-cost-patriots-super-bowl-appearance

Try again. Intel graphics drivers are very well known to cause massive problems on laptops since ages. They are very picky. Surface Pro 4 users don't have sleep support because of Intel, and Surface Pro 2 users have their drivers crash all the time, and now it the Pro 3 it creates conflict with the pen or crashes itself.

You can be sure that Windows update is disabled on the NFL devices.

That is not the issue.

your excuses are irrelevant when MS is actively breaking ppls Surface tablets

fire more people, that should fix it  <_<

MS has a chronic problem that got worse and worse as years passed

your excuses are irrelevant when MS is actively breaking ppls Surface tablets

fire more people, that should fix it  <_<

MS has a chronic problem that got worse and worse as years passed

You'll always find bugs and issues with software. Scratching the bottom of the bucket doesn't make you right.

Again, it is impossible that all devices crashes at the same time. Did you ever have a BSOD where ALL the system at your home had a BSOD at the same time? No. And the issue of the NFL wasn't a BSOD. We already been over this.

The only chronic issue that Microsoft has, is not making Intel drivers, like Apple, and baked them into Windows.

You'll always find bugs and issues with software. Scratching the bottom of the bucket doesn't make you right.

ignoring the fact you are a moderator, from one forum user to another: you go out of your way to defend MS

do you have any direct relation with them!? because otherwise I don't understand you

other than MS' word on this issue there is no other "party" to confirm there was no issue with the Surface tablets - and I do not believe MS by default

ignoring the fact you are a moderator, from one forum user to another: you go out of your way to defend MS

do you have any direct relation with them!? because otherwise I don't understand you

other than MS' word on this issue there is no other "party" to confirm there was no issue with the Surface tablets - and I do not believe MS by default

I am not defending Microsoft. The topic is not about shitty Intel driver and what Microsoft SHOULD be doing to correct the problem, but rather that 1 team NFL Surface equipment went down, so the team could not resort in players seeing their playback, or sharing up close the plan of attacks and such, and had to resort for the rest of game with the old fashion method.

If you want to make a new topic about the issue that some Surface Pro 3 user are having, then go do it, but saying this here, implies that you THINK that the problem is because of the latest firmware, and it isn't.

Also, I am not a mod in threads I participate in. I wear a dual hats by the demand of the community. I use the report button like everyone else, on issues, and I don't have any special treatment, and yes I can get a WPs, and they are Senior mods above me, and Admins.

If you want to make a new topic about the issue that some Surface Pro 3 user are having, then go do it, but saying this here, implies that you THINK that the problem is because of the latest firmware, and it isn't.

Also, I am not a mod in threads I participate in. I wear a dual hat. I use the report button like everyone else.

I haven't implied that what I posted is directly related to the incident but, to show MS' inability to manage their hardware and their tendency to blame anyone and anything instead of owning it

ps: I have no need to report you, I was just curious

If Microsoft and the NFL didn't partner and force everyone to use the Surface (and have to continually remind everyone, 'They're NOT iPad's.') they wouldn't have had their hardware fail on a national stage. And then the coaches/players would use good old paper and photographs, completely making this issue never exist at all. Or, why don't they anyways? I'm not against technological progress, but Microsoft and the NFL are at fault here; for prioritizing ad revenue/space over the game. The coaches are at fault to an extent too, for buying into this crap.

But it's probably karma for all the cheating the Patriots have done. Suck it New England.

I haven't implied that what I posted is directly related to the incident but, to show MS' inability to manage their hardware and their tendency to blame anyone and anything instead of owning it

Ok, well you should make it clear, or make a new thread.

But yes, Microsoft has this problem of not properly testing their firmware releases for the Surface line, and being a bit too excited in releasing a new Surface line product too fast.

If Microsoft and the NFL didn't partner and force everyone to use the Surface (and have to continually remind everyone, 'They're NOT iPad's.') they wouldn't have had their hardware fail on a national stage. And then the coaches/players would use good old paper and photographs, completely making this issue never exist at all. Or, why don't they anyways? I'm not against technological progress, but Microsoft and the NFL are at fault here; for prioritizing ad revenue/space over the game. The coaches are at fault to an extent too, for buying into this crap.

I believe they did resort back to the old method. But the problem is not the device. The team itself said it wasn't. It just could not connect to the network. The network equipment failed.

I believe they did resort back to the old method. But the problem is not the device. The team itself said it wasn't. It just could not connect to the network. The network equipment failed.

The problem is Microsoft jamming a Surface in everyone's hand because of a stupid ad deal with the NFL. Spend that money on testing, R&D, products, anything besides forcing people to use your devices because of an ad contract; especially one as big as the NFL. Or just keep them for the anchors and reporters. Nobody is really going to think, 'Oh man! The defensive coordinator is using a Surface! I'll buy a Surface!' And now you have a nationally televised epic fail with them searching to place the blame on someone else. Even if it was a network problem and no fault of their own, Microsoft has no one else to blame but themselves for putting themselves out to dry like that. Because whether or not you, the tech community or whoever else KNOWS it was a network failure, to the rest of the sheeple (keep in mind the average NFL fan) it looks like Microsoft shit the bed. Those three people that were going to buy a Surface because the defensive coordinator was using one, are now going to an Apple store.

The problem is Microsoft jamming a Surface in everyone's hand because of a stupid ad deal with the NFL. Spend that money on testing, R&D, products, anything besides forcing people to use your devices because of an ad contract; especially one as big as the NFL. Or just keep them for the anchors and reporters. Nobody is really going to think, 'Oh man! The defensive coordinator is using a Surface! I'll buy a Surface!' And now you have a nationally televised epic fail with them searching to place the blame on someone else. Even if it was a network problem and no fault of their own, Microsoft has no one else to blame but themselves for putting themselves out to dry like that. Because whether or not you, the tech community or whoever else KNOWS it was a network failure, to the rest of the sheeple (keep in mind the average NFL fan) it looks like Microsoft shit the bed. Those three people that were going to buy a Surface because the defensive coordinator was using one, are now going to an Apple store.

But the problem was not the Surface. The problem was with whatever network equipment. The Surface Pro did not fail. Say what you will, but since the deal, sales of the Surface did increase. Microsoft turned the Surface into this billion dollar money making machine. So was it bad?

But, yes I agree, Microsoft should be doing more testing. But I believe Microsoft did massively improve. I think you guys forgot the story with the Surface Pro 2 early firmware which was disaster after disaster, rushing release firmware updates. Since that point Microsoft has 0 issues with Surface firmware update up to now, for some Surface Pro 3 users, which is in no relation to the event that occurred.