Is there really any actual use to a custom loop for your CPU anymore?

Not sure if most folk have noticed but most achieved OC's with a CPU on water (not AIO) are what you could get with a high end Air cooler or an AIO.

For instance... only 4.7ghz 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430810-kurald-galain-a-full-custom-watercooled-x99-blackout-build/page-3

Beautiful build, and no disrespect it's awesome, but the OC's are generally meh.

Then people get OC's like this on a POS AIO...

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/2v5z9j/quick_story_of_my_i5_2500k_3_years_later/

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

Asthetics is one reason but the price to performance is generally not worth it unless you have the newest I7 .

OCs are primarily down to a better chip, not cooling solution.

that said a custom loop will potentially allow for a higher heat dissipation capacity, however most chips with even a decent cooling solution will either hit a voltage or clockspeed limit or be practically ribbing up against it.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Not really, my temps didn't get any better switching from an AIO to custom loop. In fact my idle temps went up because the GPU's are dumping more heat into the loop.

CPU: Intel i7 4770k 4.3ghz MOBO: Asus Z87 Sabertooth RAM: 2x8GB RipJaws 1866mhz GPU: 2x GTX780ti SLI 1.2ghz SSD: 960GB 2x Intel 730 RAID0 CASE: Fractal Design Define S COOLING: Custom EK watercooling loop

really the main benefit to a custom loop is looks, sure aio will do most or a good air cooler but just saying i have a fully custom watercooled pc is something that not a lot of people can say(truthfully that is)

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Not really, my temps didn't get any better switching from an AIO to custom loop. In fact my idle temps went up because the GPU's are dumping more heat into the loop.

Or it could be for a CPU cooler like the NH-D14/15 with 6 heatpipes the heat from the CPU is more effectively dissipated that a water block that has a smaller surface area and relies on the liquid to remove the heat.

Not sure if most folk have noticed but most achieved OC's with a CPU on water (not AIO) are what you could get with a high end Air cooler or an AIO.

For instance... only 4.7ghz

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/430810-kurald-galain-a-full-custom-watercooled-x99-blackout-build/page-3

Beautiful build, and no disrespect it's awesome, but the OC's are generally meh.

Then people get OC's like this on a POS AIO...

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/2v5z9j/quick_story_of_my_i5_2500k_3_years_later/

Personally the only component that benefits for liquid cooling is the GPU. CPU's have a TDP approximately 3 times less a high end GPU. It just boils down to aesthetics, LCS look neater

Your e-peen will grow by a couple of inches.

Or it could be for a CPU cooler like the NH-D14/15 with 6 heatpipes the heat from the CPU is more effectively dissipated that a water block that has a smaller surface area and relies on the liquid to remove the heat.

nah. my AIO is wayy more efficient than my old corsair d14. 

@OP. For cooling custom loops can be better than AIOs. My single 120 AIO rad is noticeably hot to touch during full load and my GPU temp is often in the 50-55C. People with AIO report often report 40C or lower.  For performance (speed) AIO and custom loops perform the same was AIO provide enough cooling to max out the stable voltage/clock limit of the chip.

nah. my AIO is wayy more efficient than my old corsair d14. 

You talking about idle temps or load?...my reply to a comment refers to idle temps...still i doubt is wayyyyy more efficient....what is wayyyy more?

You talking about idle temps or load?...my reply to a comment refers to idle temps...still i doubt is wayyyyy more efficient....what is wayyyy more?

I have a 5820k (so more heat than a typically 4 core). Before with the Noctua I was spiking above 90C during full load (1.3V IIRC) and with the AIO peak core temp dropped by 20 or 30C. 

I have a 5820k (so more heat than a typically 4 core). Before with the Noctua I was spiking above 90C during full load (1.3V IIRC) and with the AIO peak core temp dropped by 20 or 30C. 

Typically, at load temps that's where AIO's shine so I agree with you there...much better result

but is that during daily use or stress testing/benchmarking?

That's precisely why you're supposed to run the GPUs in a seperate loop ;)

Custom loops are only worth it for knuckleheads like myself who OC their components like they stole it. The further you push your components, the less value you get in return per dollar spent....but make no mistake, other than the more extreme methods of cooling, a custom loop is the only way to go if you're trying to get the absolute maximum results. Is it worth it? Depends on how you look at it, what your financial situation is, etc...

That's precisely why you're supposed to run the GPUs in a seperate loop  ;)

i'd say slightly higher CPU temps is better than digging a deeper hole in your wallet with the cost of the extra pump, res, fittings and tubing

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Personally the only component that benefits for liquid cooling is the GPU. CPU's have a TDP approximately 3 times less a high end GPU. It just boils down to aesthetics, LCS look neater

So your saying a overclocked 5820k running around 300w wont benifit from a custom loop... Lolz

OCs are primarily down to a better chip, not cooling solution.

that said a custom loop will potentially allow for a higher heat dissipation capacity, however most chips with even a decent cooling solution will either hit a voltage or clockspeed limit or be practically ribbing up against it.

My 4790K hits its voltage wall at the same time it hits the limits of my Seidon 120V (though I didn't burn in the AS5 so that probably didn't help).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

i'd say slightly higher CPU temps is better than digging a deeper hole in your wallet with the cost of the extra pump, res, fittings and tubing

Not necessarily; if you choose wisely to start off with, you'll only need to add a radiator, tubes and fittings if we're just talking about one GPU. But I don't like making assumptions about other people's budgets/finances, or what represents 'value' to them. Although I will say that if someone is venturing into WC, and did their homework beforehand, they'll know that WC isn't something you do for the "bang-for-your-buck" factor..in which case, if a couple hundred bucks is significant, then I'd recommend sticking with a high end air or AIO cooler until finances allow

So your saying a overclocked 5820k running around 300w wont benifit from a custom loop... Lolz

Then I guess your run benchmarks and stress test everyday or encode video files 24/7... it doesn't generally represent daily use but of course it will benefit an overclocked 5820K to be liquid cooled when the need for such test/benchmarking's required.

Then I guess your run benchmarks and stress test everyday or encode video files 24/7... it doesn't generally represent daily use but of course it will benefit an overclocked 5820K to be liquid cooled when the need for such test/benchmarking's required.

Sure it does. One of the main reasons for watercooling is the dead silence of the computer under full load, which for a lot of people, is worth the investment in itself. Add on the cooler temps and sweet looks, I'd say it is very well suited for daily use

Sure it does. One of the main reasons for watercooling is the dead silence of the computer under full load, which for a lot of people, is worth the investment in itself. Add on the cooler temps and sweet looks, I'd say it is very well suited for daily use

Ok.. so you know, I have a custom loop so know all the benefits of having one lol, it's a 'want' not a 'need'

Ok.. so you know, I have a custom loop so know all the benefits of having one lol, it's a 'want' not a 'need'

Of course it's a 'want' not a 'need'. But that isn't really my point or what the topic is about

The main goal of this is keeping temperatures as low as possible and looking badass.

I can overclock my i5 4690K to 4.7GHz at 1.300V and it still stays under 80°C under load. I use a bequiet! pure rock btw.

This processor is more or less low power in comparison to broadwell extreme cpus but still not that bad.

What I meant to say is that a custom loop system is very efficient but expensive. And NOT necessary in normal builds.

If I'd happen to run a 4 way SLI Titan X config I'd definately do that. But then again money would obviously not matter  :lol:

An AIO with 120mm fan is more than enough for most CPUs.

[never touch a running system]

Anything other than a intel stock cooler (except if your cpu didnt come with one) is a want.

Most people forgot to mention water cooling is a cpu is great in upgrading. I went from 1155 to 2011v3. Just had to change the brackets. Not like you spend a whole lot on a new set up everytime. Even the gpu block can be bought to be upgradable through a new mount. (alphacool i think)

I've got an H100i GTX cooling my CPU and an H55 cooling my GPU.

These AiOs handle the thermals just fine for even the overclocks I'm using.

On my GPU, thermals were never an issue even with just a 120 rad.

I run into stability issues from just the speed of the switching long before temps even hit 65C.

On my CPU, I could continue to push for a slightly higher overclock than my current 4.6Ghz.

I know I can get more if I up the voltage but then I start to see obscene temps on the cpu package and thermal throttling sets in.

So for me, a custom loop could be useful if I really wanted to push my overclocks to their absolute limits.

Right now, I don't really need that since 4.6Ghz is already well beyond what I ever need.

I have other things I need to upgrade first, like adding additional storage and getting started on our new NAS.

A custom liquid cooling loop is something I'll want to do someday if only for the looks. But it's really nothing I need right now.

---

With the move towards efficiency and sustainability, I think liquid cooling will take a back sit. LCS's will be left to a handful of enthusiasts, but won't be for a looooong time. For example (OK I know I've thrown in non-k series and probably get ear-bashed for this) the i5-2500 has a TDP of 95W and the lastest i5-6600 a TDP of 65W (4 year gap).