Small / Cheap LED Lights for Video

DJfern94

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some small LED based lights, preferably battery powered, just to be used to add sufficient lightning indoors for a DSLR.

(UK, Amazon if possible)

Thanks,

DJFern94

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

snip

A few of these can be a good start, you can also connect them together.  They accept AA batteries and Sony NP style batteries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Amaran-AL-H160-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B00K0CHPY2/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453495105&sr=1-22&keywords=LED+panel

The brightness can be adjusted with a knob on the back, and while they do not have bi-color LED they do come with a diffuser filter and a warm color filter if you want to change the color temperature.

Of course depending on your budget, you can get brighter models.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

A few of these can be a good start, you can also connect them together.  They accept AA batteries and Sony NP style batteries.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Amaran-AL-H160-Digital-Camcorder/dp/B00K0CHPY2/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1453495105&sr=1-22&keywords=LED+panel

The brightness can be adjusted with a knob on the back, and while they do not have bi-color LED they do come with a diffuser filter and a warm color filter if you want to change the color temperature.

Of course depending on your budget, you can get brighter models.

Looks very good!

What do you think of this? Would this be worth the extra cash? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aputure-Amaran-AL-H198-3200K-5500K-Flashes/dp/B00PJPPICG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_421_3?ie=UTF8&dpID=51-0El2icbL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=013J30N33C9YGQEAZYMB

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

It looks to be an improved version of the model I linked.  Let me ask a few questions:

• What sort of lighting equipment do you currently have?
  • Do you plan to mount the LED panel on your camera?
  • What is the distance from the person(s) or subjects that need to be lit to the light source(s)?
  • How much area do you need to light up?  (A large wall, just a small area, etc.  Keep in mind that LED panels are considered more as flood lights, not easy to create spot lighting with panels.)

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

There are some nicer models out there, slightly bit more expensive but provide brighter illumination and more control over color temperature.  The problem is they don't usually use AA or other general store batteries.  If you were willing to invest in some batteries and a charger for them, like what I have linked below, you can get those better LED panels.

Most of these are not genuine Sony branded batteries, they are cheap clones that are good enough to provide power to LED panels like the ones I've linked.  I own a few of them to power my small LED panels and my old Atomos Ninja.  They are rechargeable and I think in the long run will be more cost effective than buying and using AA batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.XSony+NP+F.TRS0&_nkw=Sony+NP+F&_sacat=0

If you're willing to invest in such a battery system, I would recommend a LED panel like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Barndoor-Dimmable-Wireless-Panasonic/dp/B015DY80TA/ref=sr_1_31?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1453496154&sr=1-31&keywords=LED+panel

It looks to be an improved version of the model I linked.  Let me ask a few questions:

• What sort of lighting equipment do you currently have?
  • Do you plan to mount the LED panel on your camera?
  • What is the distance from the person(s) or subjects that need to be lit to the light source(s)?
  • How much area do you need to light up?  (A large wall, just a small area, etc.  Keep in mind that LED panels are considered more as flood lights, not easy to create spot lighting with panels.)

1. At the moment, nothing past standard room lighting.

2. I am able to either mount it on my camera, or on a separate stand, the main reason I want battery powered is so it is portable.

3. I will be mainly using a 35mm prime lens, so probably around 1-2m away from the subject,

4. Really it will just be used for face shots, at the moment my camera has a lot of noise in low light (Nikon D3200), so it will just be used to light up a small area in my room. 

snip

In that case, consider the one you linked as a start.  As I said, it seems to be an improved version of the one I linked and should be good enough for 1-2 meters.  The extra 10GBP should be worth it as the one you linked comes with a carry bag and a better mounting accessory that mine doesn't.

In that case, consider the one you linked as a start.  As I said, it seems to be an improved version of the one I linked and should be good enough for 1-2 meters.  The extra 10GBP should be worth it as the one you linked comes with a carry bag and a better mounting accessory that mine doesn't.

Thanks for the help!