Surface Pro 2 is a go

GoodBytes

do we know if the tablet is using a normal ultrabook cpu or the 4.5w intel chip which would make it passive?

We know that the Surface Pro 2, much like the current Surface, uses a low voltage CPU.

But what we don't know, is if Microsoft was able to get the even lower voltage CPU from Intel (Ultra-low-Voltage Core i processor series). I doubt it, as Intel had it scheduled to be normally be released it in September, which is now... so a bit too late, if Microsoft thinks of a November release, unless they were able to get a deal with Intel and get them before the official release, to use in the tablet development phase. The ultra-low-voltage is 11.5W.

My guess is that it will be the Core i5-4300U - 15W - 1.9GHz, with the HD Graphics 4400 at 287$.

The other option is the slower Core i5 4250U - 15W - 1.3GHz , but the the HD Graphic 5000. A $342 CPU. I doubt they'll go for the faster GPU, when the CPU is slower than (if we look at the MHz number only, because that's what consumer will look at), the current Surface Pro, with it's 1.7GHz CPU. (All speeds mentioned are without Turbo boost, which the CPU actually does support).

We know that the Surface Pro 2, much like the current Surface, uses a low voltage CPU.

But what we don't know, is if Microsoft was able to get the even lower voltage CPU from Intel (Ultra-low-Voltage Core i processor series). I doubt it, as Intel had it scheduled to be normally be released at a time which is after the Surface Pro 2 is released. So it's most likely using a 15W Core i5 Haswell.

My guess is that it will be the Core i5-4300U - 15W - 1.9GHz, with the HD Graphics 4400 at 287$.

The other option is the slower Core i5 4250U - 15W - 1.3GHz , but the the HD Graphic 5000. A $342 CPU. I doubt they'll go for the faster GPU, when the CPU is slower than (if we look at the MHz number only, because that's what consumer will look at), the current Surface Pro, with it's 1.7GHz CPU.

Ok it would be interesting to see them down the line to use a ultra-low-voltage core I processor and bridge the gap between the surface and the surface pro. It's not really a gaming device anyways so I would see the i5-4300U being used over the i5-4250U.

Well don't feel too bad. It's just improved battery which can be fixed with a keyboard with battery add-on, which the Surface Pro has the connector at the bottom (notice the 2 big long holes with metal contacts, on the left and right side of the keyboard connector), when it will come out.

Performance should be the more or less the same, as we are talking about low voltage Intel CPU here, or worse, the ultra low voltage Intel CPU (which ever Microsoft could get it's hands on), especially GPU side. Of course we have to wait for review of this chip, but I doubt it's anything major or really noticeable.

So not really outdated. It's more solving complaints and concern about the Surface Pro 1. Sure rumors says it will have NFC, wireless AC, wireless charging, but meh, I don't think it's anything you won't be able to sleep, let alone even actually use.

ahah yea i know i was just saying that.

Well actually i don't really care about CPU speed increase/no increase, I have reduced the power consumption of the cpu to 70% to increase battery life anyways(i don't see a performance drop!). Haswell however is enticing for the extra battery. I have the 128 gb storage version which honestly i feel is enough because I store my important (school) documents on my 20gb of Copy (its an alternative to dropbox) storage. Plus i dont ever use the SSD/main hdd in my computer for storage (always extra hdd or external hdd). I've never found a use for NFC and i don't have a wireless AC router (plus the surface's wifi is already awesome). So all this, as you said, really doesn't bother me.

The only thing i wish I had is the 8gb ram. I know windows 8 is efficient and 4gb is enough b/c im not doing anything intensive. To be honest, the desktop that I "game" with and run "intensive" programs only has 3gb ddr2 ram. but its just this little nagging feeling that it might not be enough in the future ( i need this to last at least 3-4 years, til i graduate college). 8gb ram is just like wow ok no need to worry at all!

Oh i forgot to mention it before, THe kickstand! I would love to have a new kickstand, the more options the better! :)

P.S. Thanks for the info, it was very comforting :P

Edited by Giddyguy

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Another fail. You would have though MIcrosoft would have learned from the around $1 billion right off.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Another fail. You would have though MIcrosoft would have learned from the around $1 billion right off.

Ok. What makes you say that?

Ok. What makes you say that?

There is too much competition in the mobile market. There are literary 100 of companies competing with one another. Compared with the PC market space there are 2 companies in competition with GPU's and CPU's. And then 15 for Motherboards. Besides people buy a tablet to consume entertainment rather than to do work. No one I know does work on a tablet because it is too hard and pointless. If people want to do work on the go then they will opt for a laptop. Plus Microsoft prices it's tablets far too high, from a £1000 and higher. Compared to what the competition has which is a very slimmed down version but is also streamlined to do content consumption very well. As I say again tablets are only good at content consuming not doing content creation or work.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Actually, for content creation, tablets with Wacom pen is a perfect choice IMO. Most of content creation come from drawing on paper first then transfer to PC. If tablet wasn't ideal for content creation, Wacom wouldn't make their new windows 8 tablet. Can't remember the name though :/

No. The highest end model was 1000$.

You do get your money worth with the Surface Pro. It's targeted at engineers and artists that needs a Wacom digizer pen, and to some extent students because of the pen (in the similar fields). Not Mr and Miss everyone, to watch youtube videos, or facebook updates. The tablet is very high quality, and it's quiet impressive what they put in in 10inch form factor and in ti's thin profile.

i would have to disagree with you the digitizer pen isnt the main selling point and i think the optimal market would be students since it is running windows 8 and will most likely have the office suite.

'cause:

- You don't have a digitize pen

- You need to sit down to use it, ideally an area with a table

- The resolution is Windows 8 minimum screen resolution 1366 x 766 for most laptops of that size... let a lone TN panel.

There are ultrabook convertible tablets with digitizer support. For around the same price.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

There are ultrabook convertible tablets with digitizer support. For around the same price.

Using a pen on a screen like a laptop is very hard.

Using a pen on a screen like a laptop is very hard.

The point of a convertible is that the screen flips around and lies flat in the keyboard. Look at the Thinkpad x230t for instance. It's much easier to write on the screen that way.

I've used a similar tablet for years.

Most people I know with similar tablets used it incorrectly.

I can show you a writing sample too. It's just as easy as writing on paper.

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

ah ok. I see where you getting.

So makes it differ from the Surface Pro? Basically why I should get that, and not the Surface Pro 2, is what I am asking (in greater details... what's the up and downs)?

Microsoft did very well with the original surface pro. The new Haswell CPU will up battery life by a bunch - win win. If I had a need for a tablet with a pen on the go (and running windows 8) it would definitely be this one.

Well, the keyboard, for starters. A good ultrabook convertible has a much better keyboard (I'm also making the distinction between ultrabook convertible and tablets with keyboard attachments, but the ASUS Transformer is an example of a tablet with a good keyboard attachment, hardware differences aside). Makes it more versatile. I've used the touch-based keyboard on the surface, and it'll take lots of getting used to. Screen size is another plus, as most of them are in the 12.5" to 14" range.

Also the media creation vs. consumption debate, figured I'd chime in:

The reason tablets aren't used for media creation is the interface isn't mature enough, but that's changing. You can do video editing on tablets. You can do photo editing as well. You can also do some elements of 3D art on tablets (Blender features being ported to Android, and should run fine on Windows 8). Painting and sketching is also freely available (or using paid apps like Sketchbook mobile). The problem though, is pressure and tilt sensitivity, which is where a true Wacom tablet (Intuos, Cintiq) really shines. No convertible tablet/laptop on the market has the same level of pressure sensitivity that a Wacom tablet has (at most 128 or 256 levels vs 1024/2048 levels).

Tablets can still be used for other content creation: typed content, for instance. General productivity through various apps.

The gap between laptops, ultrabooks (with or without touch), convertible laptops, and tablets (with or without keyboard attachment) is closing.

You raise a good points. It is true that a larger screen will make a 1080p display easier to use, all by not increasing the DPI setting, which will maximize my work space.

As for the keyboard, side being a larger keyboard than a 10inch tablet, which to be honest I have no idea if it will bug me or not (I touch netbooks at the store, and left fine... but it's hard to tell as I am not actually using one). But the Surface and Surface Pro, has a traditional keyboard option:

013Surface_Unboxing_35332542_610x436.jpg

So I don't think that will be a problem.

So now.. do I need a larger screen or not (assuming both are 1080p), hmmm...

Good to see the regular keyboard.

Personally, the sweet spot for a laptop/tablet is 12.5". Makes the Thinkpad X230/t and Thinkpad Yoga (they just announced it) desirable options.

Good to see the regular keyboard.

Personally, the sweet spot for a laptop/tablet is 12.5". Makes the Thinkpad X230/t and Thinkpad Yoga (they just announced it) desirable options.

Cool I'll into them. Thanks a lot.