is rooting worth it?

coen113

I have a Samsung galaxy SII, and after a year i want some more out of it, what extra options give rooting? its it worth to void the warranty?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

I personally wouldn't do it because you void your warranty and I guess if you have insurance on it that would be fine but you would still have to pay excess if something went wrong! not really worth it sell your phone and buy a new one!

~james

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

On your phone, no. S2 is still a good phone so no. On my phone it's worth it because LG can't do SW at all...

I rooted my SII skyrocket a week ago, it is MUCH better than the latest update available (4.1.2 is the latest release)

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I personally wouldn't do it because you void your warranty and I guess if you have insurance on it that would be fine but you would still have to pay excess if something went wrong! not really worth it sell your phone and buy a new one!

~james

If it does void your warranty and something goes wrong you can relock it and they wont know = new phone.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

If it does void your warranty and something goes wrong you can relock it and they wont know = new phone.

so, if i do something wrong, i can factory reset it and warranty is back?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Ive rooted my old Galaxy Ace, Nexus 4 and Nexus 7, the Nexus's mainly to change the soft keys colour and icon's. Rooting can help if your having battery life problems, downclock the cpu and save more power or up the cpu for more speed.

Rooting also gives you access to locked files and the ability to delete applications that you otherwise wouldnt be able to delete. If your still under warranty then I would go for it, anything goes wrong just relock the device and they wont know.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

so, if i do something wrong, i can factory reset it and warranty is back?

No rooting requires an unlocking process of the phone, which wipes the memory, if you would need to send it back the phone would be almost un useable, re locking the phone would wipe it and essentially restore it to normal but still keep it unuseable.

I have a Samsung galaxy SII, and after a year i want some more out of it, what extra options give rooting? its it worth to void the warranty?

void warranty ?

sII is ancient

root and flash cm10.2

ull experience speed like nothing uve ever experienced

ps u can reset the flash counter dont worry ur warranty wont be void

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

void warranty ?

sII is ancient

root and flash cm10.2

i think the S2 is the most used android phone ATM

void warranty ?

sII is ancient

root and flash cm10.2

+1 get a newer version of Android on it as well I got ICS on my Galaxy Ace.

rooting is a big deal for me i hate bloatware and i like responsive device and battery time (which is the reason i usually install cyanogenmod without even bothering with rooting)

do i care if it void's warranty : no because flashing stock rom via pc is easy as hell on samsung devices you just download the odin package from xda or somewhere else and flash it thats it (i9300 and i93xx are NOT same device)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

rooting is a big deal for me i hate bloatware and i like responsive device and battery time (which is the reason i usually install cyanogenmod without even bothering with rooting)

do i care if it void's warranty : no because flashing stock rom via pc is easy as hell on samsung devices you just download the odin package from xda or somewhere else and flash it thats it (i9300 and i93xx are NOT same device)

isnt rooting required for installing cyanogenmod?

Nope there are cwm zip files that installed with clockworkmod (which requires flashing the recovery image via odin)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I'm not so worried about warranty.  I guarantee if my phone is less than a month old those jokers are going to give me another one.  I have have only bricked one device, a tablet.  Thankfully that was bought from a local store and they took it back without question. No swap out. I got cash back and ended up getting a much better tablet somewhere else. 

I use Android devices.  I always see these apps saying that root is required.  I rooted my tablet and was able to get to some useful utilities.  I can now edit system folders to update notification sounds and such and run some useful apps but thats it. 

There is nothing magical about rooting.  I would say, for me, its just a box to check on a list of "need to do" steps when getting a new device. 

I like that it is rooted. I think it is worth it if you want full control over your device but don't expect much more after that.  

Computer enthusiast, Network Consultant - 16+ years experience - Associates Degree in Electronics - 1996 - CompTIA A+ certification - 2000 - Bachelor's Degree of Information Technology - 2010

Root your S2.

A friend of mine had his rooted with Cyanogenmod on it. Then he had to go back to stock samsung for some reason and he said it sucks so much ass! Now he is back to CM and it is way faster and smoother! There should be plenty of rooting guides for the S2 and with a phone at that 'age' rooting it is a no-brainer.

Unrooting and relocking the bootloader should be easy as well. Dunno if you even have warranty left on your S2 but it's totally worth it!

I rooted my Nexus 4 out of the box using a toolkit.

Advantages of rooting are manifold.

While i rooted for full phone backups (Nandroid backup) and the ability to use root apps, there are many good and stable ROMs out there for the S2.

Seriously, rooting expands the usability of your phone for at least another year.

who cares...

I rooted and installed Cyanogenmod 10 on my S3 and I think its great! this is my first android phone and I love CM. Roots is really simple, all i needed to do was press 1 button an a program called root and it rooted my device. I was okay with rooting because I did a LOT of jailbreaking tweak and stuff on my Iphone.

At first I rooted to remove Att and samsung bloatware but then went ahead and decided to use Cyanogenmod cut it had some advantages over touchwiz i liked.

Good Luck to you if you do root!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)