What is the best airflow with this setup

nivra552

Hi guys currently I have a Phanteks evolv ATX.. I was wondering what is the best airflow for it...I have 5 140mm fans in the case..2 in the front as intake, 1 at the back as exhaust and 2 in the top (radiator fans) as exhaust also do think this is optimal?I was thinking of changing the front with 3 120mm fans what do you suggest/recommend? Thanks for the time God bless!

Linus' video explains it pretty well

Spoiler

[CPU] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core        [Motherboard] MSI B150 Gaming M3
[RAM] 8GB Kingston Black (1x8GB) DDR4-2133         [GPU] Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5
[Case] Fractal Design Define R4    [PSU] Corsair CX600M
[Storage] Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB   [OS] Windows 10

That sounds like negative air pressure which you don't want. Funnily enough Jay posted a good video on the topic today. :)

Linus' video explains it pretty well

Thanks for linking me to the video...but what do you guys suggest me doing?

put your rad in the front as intake, with dual 140's and 1 exhaust 

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

Personally, I would go with two 140s in the front. Larger fans spinning with bigger scoops. Extra points for ones that are pressure optimized, since they will force more air through. You also use less fan headers and such.

As for optimization, Linus' video basically states that the best config based on his findings were fans in the front and back. Front intake and rear exsaust. Adding fans to the top did not really affect temps as dramatically.

I'd go with an exhaust at the back. 140mm. You want to get more air in than out to prevent dust and such (positive air pressure is good). Radiator I would put in the front personally. 

Spoiler

[CPU] Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core        [Motherboard] MSI B150 Gaming M3
[RAM] 8GB Kingston Black (1x8GB) DDR4-2133         [GPU] Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5
[Case] Fractal Design Define R4    [PSU] Corsair CX600M
[Storage] Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB   [OS] Windows 10

Thanks for linking me to the video...but what do you guys suggest me doing?

I can't speak for @PolosElite23 but it seems like we both wanted to point you in the right direction, so you could choose what works for you. :) If you want it easy, you could flip around the back exhaust as intake and that should make possitive air pressure in the case. There is more to consider though, like case restrictions, fan speed, stuff like that.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

I would remove rear fan. Top fans are more than enough to exhaust.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I would remove rear fan. Top fans are more than enough to exhaust.

Having no fan at the rear to exhaust would leave it open for dust to come in due to the area of negative pressure from the top exhausts. The OP's currently setup seems good.

I can't speak for @PolosElite23 but it seems like we both wanted to point you in the right direction, so you could choose what works for you. :) If you want it easy, you could flip around the back exhaust as intake and that should make possitive air pressure in the case. There is more to consider though, like case restrictions, fan speed, stuff like that.

That could be useful but would otherwise bring in dust without a rear dust filter.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

That could be useful but would otherwise bring in dust without a rear dust filter.

True, but still better than negative pressure. And you can always get 140 filter. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

True, but still better than negative pressure. And you can always get 140 filter. :)

Negative pressure doesn't really matter if all intakes are filtered. Cases aren't airtight.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Negative pressure doesn't really matter if all intakes are filtered. Cases aren't airtight.

But the dust seeps in through all the little crevises and meshing. My old PC was dusty in a month, the new one I build is just fine meaning waaay less dust.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

But the dust seeps in through all the little crevises and meshing. My old PC was dusty in a month, the new one I build is just fine meaning waaay less dust.

There's no open unfiltered meshing or crevices aside for exhausts with the case.

There's no open unfiltered meshing or crevices aside for exhausts with the case.

Umm, I don't want to argue for the sake of arguing, but the case has meshing on the left, meshing above the fan and holes in PCIe slot covers. All of these places turns pretty much into an intake with negative case pressure.

evolvatx-7b.jpg

Check it out on about 6:14.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Umm, I don't want to argue for the sake of arguing, but the case has meshing on the left, meshing above the fan and holes in PCIe slot covers. All of these places turns pretty much into an intake with negative case pressure.

evolvatx-7b.jpg

Check it out on about 6:14.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=376&v=a12aDCxrcts

Huh, my memory of the case was a bit off. In either case, filtering the rear in general would be needed.

Huh, my memory of the case was a bit off. In either case, filtering the rear in general would be needed.

Oh well, it happens. :) I'm not mad or anything, just standing behind my opinion. Filter on the back would be reeeeally helpful, that's true. :)

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler