Can 1 broken pin stop a computer from working?

So I sent a PC to my friend from Germany to Ireland, and when he got the computer, he turned it on and no display was showing. He tried different connections to the monitor and used different monitors and nothing was working. He opened the case and the CPU fan was loose, so it wasn't such a big deal, it could happen in transit but on reinstallation of the CPU fan, he noticed that the CPU had come loose out of the socket so when taking out the cooler the CPU was stuck to the fan because of the thermal paste obviously, but the CPU should not come out of its socket.

He went ahead and just reinstalled everything just like you would normally, and nothing displayed again. I asked him to send a video of the PC when turning on, keeping in mind that I built this and tested it before sending it to him, and everything sounded normal, all fans spinning so it was "sort of" a relief to see that.

But after running out of ideas of what I could be, he went back and checked the CPU and I told him to check for damaged pins, and of course, there was one pin missing near the centre of the chip (which is an AMD FX-8350), and now unsure of what to do next, I am here asking for help.

Broken pin means that the other part of the broken pin is lodged in the motherboard right? Which means new motherboard? Or can you just turn it upside down with the latch open and hope for it to fall out which means one less new thing to get.

What is the next thing we should do here? Completely at a standstill and out of ideas and frustrated like hell!!!!

Can a damaged pin stop the computer from displaying on screen even though it is powering up normally and sounds fine?

Thanks in advanced for your time!

yes if you remove the cpu it will power up just fine but nothing displays

Can absolutely 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Before I start, it's fairly normal for the AMD chips to stick to the cooler. So yeah.

Second, it is very possible that a missing pin could fuck things up a bit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Damaged pins can stop it from working or make the system stupidly unstable.

look closely with a torch on the motherboard, if there is a piece in there then its new mobo and cpu. if not it's just new cpu. no way I know you can fix it sorry.

Wow this was old as heck, Need to update this signature!

Can a damaged pin stop the computer from displaying on screen even though it is powering up normally and sounds fine?

yes... is it fixable? possibly, figure out which hole the pin is suppose to be in and put a piece of metal roughly the size of the pin in the hole and put the CPU back in, it might work then, linus did it in a video once

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

Or can you just turn it upside down with the latch open and hope for it to fall out which means one less new thing to get.

What is the next thing we should do here? Completely at a standstill and out of ideas and frustrated like hell!!!!

Find the broken pin and attempt to place it back in the socket with the processor. Save yourself some cash OP. 

All the way back in 2009 young Linus did a video for NCIX showing how to go about it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

You may be able to fix it by sticking the broken pin in the hole where it fell out on the CPU:

And to answer your question yes a single broken pin cam completely screw up the computer. For all we know that pin could've been for something important like power delivery.

Yeah, if it is any of the power delivery, memory controller, base clock control pins then it's game over if you can't repair it. It is, however, relatively easy to repair a broken pin on a PGA socket. LGA is a different beast though.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

It depends on the function of the pin. If it's only ground, no. If it delivers power or allows data to be transferred, yes. Also, if that broken pin shorts two other pins together, that will cause issues as well.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

with LGA, you buy a new motherboard.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like kind of a mixed pool of opinions. "Might be fixable", " might not be", "broken".... Still dunno what to do really. He's watching linus' video at the moment so I'll update back here once I have more news. He did also tell me he manually realigned 3 pins on the CPU.

LGA is Intel isint it? This is an FX CPU so its not LGA right? Is the FX socket pin fixable at all?

Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems like kind of a mixed pool of opinions. "Might be fixable", " might not be", "broken".... Still dunno what to do really. He's watching linus' video at the moment so I'll update back here once I have more news. He did also tell me he manually realigned 3 pins on the CPU.

LGA is Intel isint it? This is an FX CPU so its not LGA right? Is the FX socket pin fixable at all?

You basically need to find some ~ 0.5mm guage high-quality copper or gold wire, and cut about a 3mm long piece off it. This is inserted into the hole in the socket that corresponds to the missing pin on the cpu (it'll stick out a little over the socket, but not too much). You then place the cpu in the socket and lock it in place. This might work. If it doesn't, you can either try again, or buy a new CPU.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

So I've some good news, the pin was found outside of the board so the motherboard is still good. As for the processor we are still trying to sort it out.