Would you buy 1.2TB Intel 750 SSD for $550?

kev507

Most of us (I assume) wouldn't dream of spending as much on an SSD as we would on a top-tier GPU. But if you could get it for $550 instead of the regular $850, would you? 

I have the opportunity to do so, and it's tempting to say the least, I'm just not sure if that's still overpaying... My PC is for gaming, VM's and work. I think I'd probably be most happy to have so much high speed storage for games, so I can take more of them off hard drives and to have programs start stupidly fast (I'm looking at you Outlook/Photoshop/Premiere)

If I didn't already have drives, it would be tempting.  

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

nop would wait no reason for cheaper ones. unless you dont care and have money to burn.

Edited by Slyhawk

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

I would defiantly have bought it if I had known about that deal.  I bought my 400GB version for around $350 

My PC specs: Strix gtx 980ti, i7 5930k @4.1, 32GB RAM, 400GB intel 750 SSD, 

Nah, even cheaper SSD's are fast enough that it wouldn't really make a ton of difference in daily usage, I don't really have a top of the line SSD (Crucial MX100) and my machine boots in seconds and everything I have on it opens nearly instantly.

This is of course just my personal opinion but that extra second or so that the 750 would shave off doesn't really make it worth it in my mind.

Considering a regular sata 1TB SSD is around 350 bucks, it's not that much more expensive to get the Intel 750. I say do it.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

I would defiantly have bought it if I had known about that deal.  I bought my 400GB version for around $350 

not a deal unfortunately, it's through my work so don't feel bad

no because its pretty useless for me. I need HDD storage because it still performs good for media and games and is relatively cheap. ssd just arnt worth it imo, unless you need 1 for a boot drive. if its not gonna be a boot drive then theres no justifiable reason to spend that much on a drive

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Depends.

If I really need it for work, then I will use it.

Since I am using my PC mostly for gaming, I will not buy the latest SSD.

I always felt that they gonna rip me off just because this tech is relatively new.

If you are using it for professional purpose, and your workflow somewhat depends on fast reading and writing time, (keeps the waiting to the minimum), then go for it. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

i would

that more than double the capacity of a 512GB 850 pro which costs $300

and way faster

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

lucky... i used to work part time at supermicro and would always get deals on baller equipment but wouldnt have the money to buy it lol. id say go for it because thats a pretty good deal

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I would actually consider it will probably last you a long time without seeming slow compared to other drives. It is basically future-proof. I'd like to see how long Linus ends up keeping his. Also, NVMe is much faster than AHCI so you will definitely be more happy with your transfer speeds and load times.

No because storage prices are constantly falling and you'll certainly get a faster drive for less money in 6 months.  When buying storage, ONLY BUY WHAT YOU NEED AND UPGRADE ACCORDINGLY!

CPU: Intel i7 4790k @4.7ghz - RAM: HyperX Savage 16GB DDR3 Memory @2400mhz - GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 3.5GB @1500mhz - Mobo: Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z97 - Storage: Win10 on 240GB HyperX Predator m.2 SSD, - Ubuntu w/ Gnome 3 on 80GB OCZ Vertex 3 - 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Game Installs - 5TB mass storage - Monitor: 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 - PSU: Corsair RM 750w - Case: Silverstone FT01 - Cooling: Custom Water Loop