Sony A6000 cant slowmo

Go to solution Solved by nickl,

My Sony A6000 that I bought about a year ago cant shoot slowmo. Ive tried updating the firmware and even got myself a new SD card (class 10) for the job, however it still says "This memory card does not support recording of XAVAC S movies. Change the file format or change the memory card."

The SD card is a Snadisk Extreme 16gb Class 10 60MB/s.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SanDisk-Extreme-16GB-SDHC-UHS-I-U3-4K-Ultra-HD-Memory-Card-60MB-s-Class-10-SD-HC-/251743512593?hash=item3a9d152811:g:EckAAOSwkNZUgC6R

Will I need an sd card that is maybe 90mb/s? 

Also, is it possible to record slowmo in a format other than XAVAC S? Like AVCHD?

Thanks. 

Although I did a bit of digging on the camera, and on the Sony site, it says that there is no XAVC S support for the a6000, it seems to be a new feature of the camera with a firmware update. From this thread on dpreview, it seems that your memory card needs to be at least 64GB, so you will have to get a new card... 

Otherwise, I doubt that there is a specific "slow-mo" option, I would imagine that it is simply 60fps, and you would slow it down in post.

My Sony A6000 that I bought about a year ago cant shoot slowmo. Ive tried updating the firmware and even got myself a new SD card (class 10) for the job, however it still says "This memory card does not support recording of XAVAC S movies. Change the file format or change the memory card."

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SanDisk-Extreme-16GB-SDHC-UHS-I-U3-4K-Ultra-HD-Memory-Card-60MB-s-Class-10-SD-HC-/251743512593?hash=item3a9d152811:g:EckAAOSwkNZUgC6R

Also, is it possible to record slowmo in a format other than XAVAC S? Like AVCHD?

Thanks. 

no sd card will make the camera do slow mo as the camera doesn't support it in the first place. You can slow down the 60fps video to 30fps, but other than that there are no slow motion features on the a6000.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Thanks. 

Although I did a bit of digging on the camera, and on the Sony site, it says that there is no XAVC S support for the a6000, it seems to be a new feature of the camera with a firmware update. From this thread on dpreview, it seems that your memory card needs to be at least 64GB, so you will have to get a new card... 

Otherwise, I doubt that there is a specific "slow-mo" option, I would imagine that it is simply 60fps, and you would slow it down in post.

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.

Also get the 90MB/s or faster cards. And yes, if your camera can record XAVC, it wil require a larger capacity memory card.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

SNIP

yes XAVS came with new firmware

You will need a bigger and faster card to use it, or the camera just locks you out

You do not need XAVS for "slow mo"

You can record at 60p or 50p and then play it back at half speed for 50% slow motion

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Also get the 90MB/s or faster cards. And yes, if your camera can record XAVC, it wil require a larger capacity memory card.

A 60MB/s card is more than fast enough.

1MB are 8Mb

snip

XAVC S implementation in the A6000 is 1080p 50Mbps bit rate.  A 16GB memory card is going to end up getting filled very fast, you might be able to record only about 15 minutes of video.  So if you want to record XAVC S 1080p60, these are the cards I would get.  And they can still be usable if you upgrade your camera to something else in the future, like an A7sII.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/824149-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXPA_064G_A75_Extreme_Pro_64GB_SDHC_SDXC.html

Otherwise shoot AVCHD 1080p60, of course with lower bit rates.

Which reminds me, I need to get a few more of those cards myself along with additional CompactFlash and XQD cards. :(  Looking at my bank account.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer