Fallout 4 Low Frame Rates

Idanov

Hello everyone,

I need your ideas about this.

I recently updated my rig with a sapphire r9 390 but while playing Fallout 4 I noticed some really low framerates.

As you can see in the picture they are in the low twenties way to often for my taste.

When I am looking at the sky or at the ground i get 60.

At the moment I have everything set at maximum settings. I've tried to lower some settings but actually only the shadow distance makes a difference. Ad medium I get up to 40 fps.

Is this normal? Does my CPU limit it and I just have to lower the settings? Or is something wrong here?

I have an 

i5 760

8gb in single channel

r9 390 

Oh god, while AMD cards aren't the best for Fallout 4 that CPU is a HEAVY bottleneck in that game since it's a VERY CPU demanding game

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

You cpu is pretty old now adays. Its probably doing a good job as a bottle neck.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

You don't look like you have a fantastic CPU.

Also i have heard running MAX on AMD cards on fallout wasn't that great, play around with the shaders to see if it makes any difference.

Oh god, while AMD cards aren't the best for Fallout 4 that CPU is a HEAVY bottleneck in that game since it's a VERY CPU demanding game

His 390 should be fine. Its just the cpu being ancient im guessing.

Spoiler

Nihla

i5 4570k @ 4.20ghz 1.2v | Zotac 1060 AMP + Zotac 1070 ti Mini | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | X2 LG 29UC88

Hifiman HE4xx | Philips SHP9500s | Swans HiVi M10

Hello everyone,

I need your ideas about this.

I recently updated my rig with a sapphire r9 390 but while playing Fallout 4 I noticed some really low framerates.

As you can see in the picture they are in the low twenties way to often for my taste.

When I am looking at the sky or at the ground i get 60.

At the moment I have everything set at maximum settings. I've tried to lower some settings but actually only the shadow distance makes a difference. Ad medium I get up to 40 fps.

Is this normal? Does my CPU limit it and I just have to lower the settings? Or is something wrong here?

I have an 

i5 760

8gb in single channel

r9 390 

That I5 is probably holding you back. Also, Fallout 4 has gameworks, so it works better on Nivida cards.

Gameworks says otherwise.

No, you can run Fallout 4 on a 390 on recent drivers without issues, just set shadows to medium. The issue here is the CPU cause as @App4that stated, it's the most CPU heavy game he's played so far so his 4790k bottlenecks his 980Ti at times :o

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

No, you can run Fallout 4 on a 390 on recent drivers without issues, just set shadows to medium. The issue here is the CPU cause as @App4that stated, it's the most CPU heavy game he's played so far so his 4790k bottlenecks his 980Ti at times :o

I know. Blaming lack of sleep. Thought he meant something else.

It should be illegal to release a game in the state Fallout 4 is in.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

snip

snip

snip

snip

so i guess all of you agree, that it is just fallouts (and my wallets) fault. 

I either have to buy a better cpu, overclock it or live with the fact, that i'm still not able to run everything at ultra. I had hoped so.

I might overclock it but at the time i just don't want to. I have never done anything like it and im not very patient.

thanks for the advice. good to know that there is nothing wrong with my build. 

I wish y'all a good night or a pleasant day.

*Cough*Arkham Knight was worse*Cough*

Barely, but they both suffer the same problem of it being OK somehow in the industry now to release broken games. OP has a awesome rig, no reason people should be stressed out over a game. In my opinion anyone that buys a broken game should get their money back until it's fixed.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Gameworks says otherwise.

every gameworks game is horrible for me I don't understand anymore.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw