Moving to a new PC, keeping old SSD

The_Sandman

Hey everyone,

I'm building a Office PC for a family member and i have a problem regarding the drives. In the old system, everything was stored on a 120GB Samsung SSD. The OS was originally Windows 7 but has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have never done this before so my question is:

What is the best way to transfer the Data to the new system? Is it possible to keep the SSD without getting a new Drive?

If I have to get a new Drive, do i have to get a new copy of Windows or can i work with the Copy of Windows 7 that was used originally with the old PC?

I really hope there is a way so i don't have to reinstall all the programms again and everything stays like it is. I know that i probably have to do all this but i haven't lost all hope yet :D

CPU: i5 6600K | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (6GB) | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1TB) | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1000W) | Display(s): 27'' Asus PG279Q | Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M800 | Mouse: Steelseries Rival | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | OS: Windows 10 | PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwL7zy

Hey everyone,

I'm building a Office PC for a family member and i have a problem regarding the drives. In the old system, everything was stored on a 120GB Samsung SSD. The OS was originally Windows 7 but has been upgraded to Windows 10. I have never done this before so my question is:

What is the best way to transfer the Data to the new system? Is it possible to keep the SSD without getting a new Drive?

If I have to get a new Drive, do i have to get a new copy of Windows or can i work with the Copy of Windows 7 that was used originally with the old PC?

I really hope there is a way so i don't have to reinstall all the programms again and everything stays like it is. I know that i probably have to do all this but i haven't lost all hope yet :D

Follow your own topic. General rule, new hardware means reinstall drivers remove old ones. New system reinstall everything... or not and deal with the absolute shitstorm of troubles and slowdowns that follows.

Follow your own topic. General rule, new hardware means reinstall drivers remove old ones. New system reinstall everything... or not and deal with the absolute shitstorm of troubles and slowdowns that follows.

Thanks, totally forgot to follow^^ Ok, sounds logical to me :)

But is it possible to keep the drive? Let's say i transfer all the Data i need to an external Drive, can i use the Windows 7 copy that was used on the old PC to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on the already used drive? Sorry if this sounds stupid but like i said, i've never reused a drive so i have many questions :)

And is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 again or is this only possible once per license?

CPU: i5 6600K | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (6GB) | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1TB) | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1000W) | Display(s): 27'' Asus PG279Q | Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M800 | Mouse: Steelseries Rival | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | OS: Windows 10 | PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwL7zy

Thanks, totally forgot to follow^^ Ok, sounds logical to me :)

But is it possible to keep the drive? Let's say i transfer all the Data i need to an external Drive, can i use the Windows 7 copy that was used on the old PC to do a fresh install of Windows 7 on the already used drive? Sorry if this sounds stupid but like i said, i've never reused a drive so i have many questions :)

And is it possible to upgrade to Windows 10 again or is this only possible once per license?

Yeah you can reuse the drive in whatever way you want, whether you can reuse the windows 7 license is a different question depending on how you got that windows license. If you got it preinstalled from an OEM (premade desktop or laptop from the store) then no, the license will then be locked to that hardware and you can't use it again. You can update to Windows 10 however many times you want, but it follows your hardware not the actual drive. Say you build a computer, install windows 7 and use a license that you have bought yourself, then you can instal windows 10 from a USB drive because the key that you got when you upgraded to windows 10 recognises your hardware and install automatically.

Yeah you can reuse the drive in whatever way you want, whether you can reuse the windows 7 license is a different question depending on how you got that windows license. If you got it preinstalled from an OEM (premade desktop or laptop from the store) then no, the license will then be locked to that hardware and you can't use it again. You can update to Windows 10 however many times you want, but it follows your hardware not the actual drive. Say you build a computer, install windows 7 and use a license that you have bought yourself, then you can instal windows 10 from a USB drive because the key that you got when you upgraded to windows 10 recognises your hardware and install automatically.

I have bought the Windows 7 license and installed it on the old computer. I just wonder if i could reuse that license now, as i'm keeping the SSD but all the other hardware changes. How i understood your post, i wouldn't be able to reuse the windows 7 license of the old computer right? In that case i would have to buy another key.

Thanks for your advice, i will try it out as soon as the parts arrive. I will let you know how it worked.

I have bought the Windows 7 license and installed it on the old computer. I just wonder if i could reuse that license now, as i'm keeping the SSD but all the other hardware changes. How i understood your post, i wouldn't be able to reuse the windows 7 license of the old computer right? In that case i would have to buy another key.

Thanks for your advice, i will try it out as soon as the parts arrive. I will let you know how it worked.

Sorry about the confusion, but from the way I understand you, you should be able to install that Win7 to a new computer, no problem. After that you just update to Win10 like normal.