Massive fire at hynix fab UPDATE- Minor damage was received to the factory

Emperor_Piehead

A large fire broke out at hynix production facility in Wuxi, China. the Factories primary job was to put SSDs in casings and apply stickers.If the damage is extent then we could see a rise in the price of nand since they began to prioritize that over Dram.

23d_thm.jpg 23b_thm.jpg 23c_thm.jpg

Update- 

Apparently these are the main factories for nVidia GDDR5 which might cause a shortage for nVidia cards.

The company is ascertaining if there are any casualties and investigating the cause of the fire, which occurred at a plant in Wuxi, China, Son Hee Young, a spokesman of Icheon, South Korea-based SK Hynix, said in an telephone interview. The fire, which started at 3:50 p.m. local time during deployment of equipment, was extinguished by 5:20 p.m., the company said in a statement today.

Luckily nobody was killed by the fire, but no word on injured. The prices of ram have already gone up 10% and shipments of memory out of asia have ceased. The fire has destoryed half of hynix's production of memory which may not be as well know in the Dram market they are big in video cards for Nvidia. 

Update Update-

The fire was actually very minimal. Hynix have come out saying that one person had a minor injury. The fire was in the air purification facility and the fab wasn't even touched by the fire. Production is said to begin again soon and insurance will be able to pay for most of the damages. Great to hear that damage was minimal from this fire. 

Thanks @Nicktrance for the update.

source- http://www.tweaktown.com/news/32725/hynix-fire-not-as-bad-as-expected-company-says-damage-is-minimal/index.html

source- http://www.techpowerup.com/190121/massive-fire-at-sk-hynix-fab-in-wuxi-china.html

source- http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/hynix_memory_plants_on_fire_after_chemical_explosion.html

source- http://www.kitguru.net/components/memory/faith/hynix-fabs-on-fire-after-chemical-explosion/

Moment of silence, for our alternate timeline future SSDs for reasonable prices

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Oh s**t... hope RAM prices won't go up

If it does it won't be as bad as nand, but we still don't know how bad the factory was damaged.

*buys an SSD now, before the prices rocket*

Good plan!

I don't personally need any more storage, but I hope to go that this doesn't do to SSDs, what the floods did to HDDs. Prices went like this: £60 1TB Black = £130 after floods. So will a £125 (840 250GB on Amazon.co.uk) become £260!? That's back to the prices before SSDs were mainstream!

The price wont jump too much guys, it's not like the controller fab or the band fad went up in flames. This was just for putting the ssds in casings.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Crap... I'm sure Samsung is happy at least

Happy? They're probably tired from last night's "Company Bonfire"

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

Buy your ssd now!

Desk: monitors 3x Asus VE248h(eyefinity), Keyboard Cm Strom Trigger(mx red), Mouse Corsair m65, Headset Audio Technica ATH-M50

Black Friday 2013 Build: i7 4770k, Gigabyte Z87X UD5H, 16gb Corsair, Msi R9 290, Corsair Axi 760, Corsair 750D, 2x intel 530 240gb ssd, 2x Seagate 400gb

Older Machine amd x640, msi 760g mobo, 8gb gskillz, Sapphire 6870, Corsair hx650, Cooler master haf 922, ocz agility 3 120gb ssd || HTPC: i7 3770k, shuttle xpc z77, 16gb gskillz, Asus GTX 650 ti, intel 120gb msata ssd

hmm... I wonder how marshmallows would taste over burning NAND...

Flashy xD

T_T there goes that £30 8gb ram

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

hmm or maybe scRAMptious...  :ph34r:

Flashy xD

I think the it'd be liek giving your tongue some TLC ;) if you get the reference you win 1 internet

Crap... I'm sure Samsung is happy at least

Happy? They're probably tired from last night's "Company Bonfire"

Flashy xD

hmm or maybe scRAMptious...  :ph34r:

I think the it'd be liek giving your tongue some TLC ;) if you get the reference you win 1 internet

.... Hahahahaha! This is hilarious!!!

On a serious note; why are we having such a laugh over something so serious? I mean, this is a fire... A big fire. A lot of people could have been hurt and the building repairs won't be cheap!

.... Hahahahaha! This is hilarious!!!

On a serious note; why are we having such a laugh over something so serious? I mean, this is a fire... A big fire. A lot of people could have been hurt and the building repairs won't be cheap!

Yeah, you're probably right. On a more serious note: Luckily first reports claim nobody was killed. Memory prices have already jumped up by about 10% one hour after the reports.

Apparently these are the main factories for nVidia GDDR5 which might cause a shortage for nVidia cards. Hynix has lost half of its production (it used to produce 30% of the world's memory). 

The company is ascertaining if there are any casualties and investigating the cause of the fire, which occurred at a plant in Wuxi, China, Son Hee Young, a spokesman of Icheon, South Korea-based SK Hynix, said in an telephone interview. The fire, which started at 3:50 p.m. local time during deployment of equipment, was extinguished by 5:20 p.m., the company said in a statement today.

source: http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/hynix_memory_plants_on_fire_after_chemical_explosion.html

http://www.kitguru.net/components/memory/faith/hynix-fabs-on-fire-after-chemical-explosion/

@Emperor_Piehead you might want to add this as an update to the post.

This is horrible news!

It's to bad that there was a huge fire at SK Hynix witch makes the chips for the main manufacturer like Apple. Prices for Memory or other main chips prices are going to sky rocket after this. What is going to be the replacement for this?

http://www.techpowerup.com/190121/massive-fire-at-sk-hynix-facility-in-wuxi-china.html

Oh shit... Guys. For those who don't know, they manufacture MOST of the video card memory chips for guys like MSI and EVGA. This is bad. REAL BAD.

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER