Me and my little issue.

Greetings LTT forum users

Been a bit of a lurker on the youtube side for a while, but I find myself in a situation now, that I am unable to solve on my own.

At first, my PC started acting a bit weird lately, and I eventually narrowed it down to my motherboard, which was faulty. I ended up replacing it with one by a different manufacturer, since I found the customer service at that particular manufacturer inept. They made my problem worse.

My PC worked fine for a week, no issues in sight, untill today, when I woke up to a PC that refused to boot past BIOS.

I had to cut all power, turn off the PSU with the switch on the back, to even get it to boot, and now after removing my second graphic card, it seems to be working just fine again.

My system specs are as follows:

i7-4790k @4GHz (4.4 turbo, no OC)

Asus Z97-A Motherboard

16 GB of DDR3-ram (2x 8GB HyperX Fury)

nVidia Geforce GTX 970 x2 in SLi (no OC or mining)

Corsair CX750M PSU, 750 watt bronze.

1 Kingston 480GB SSD

1 Kingston 120GB SSD

1 Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD

I'm at a complete loss for what the problem could be. My system worked just fine, for 9 months, and I didn't really have any issues at all, untill I installed windows 10, atleast none that I noticed. I generally build my PCs to last around 4 years, so having a problem like this, after just one, kinda throws a wrench in it all, since I don't really want to spend any more money on it, than I already have, but it's looking like i'll have to at this point.

Sincerely, a desperate dane.

Welcome to the Forum!

Please stop using the CX power supply. It sounds like it's slowly dying.

Sig under construction.

Replace that PSU, that PSU is definitely not fit for SLIing

Get an EVGA G2 or GS or anything from XFX or Seasonic

Edit- that auto correct

Might be power supply. CX series wasn't designed to handle GTX class GPUs

what @Tedster said is correct.

They are bad. Really mediocre.

Thanks for the quick replies already, and yeah, I was suspecting my PSU from the get go, but I didn't want to steer the discussion that way in case there was something I had overlooked.

Which PSU specificly should I look for? 750watt seems to be plentifull for my needs, so just anything that isn't CX series? The EVGA Super Nova 2 doesn't look that expensive, so I might try that.

Update:  Ended up buying the EVGA SuperNova G2 850 watt version, since the 750 was sold out, will report back once I get it delivered and installed.

Update #2: New PSU arrived and installed, PC booted up perfectly the first time, but will let it run over the weekend to test for stability.

So, PC ran for a few days, then windows update happened (10 sucks) Wish you could disable those automatic updates, but oh well.

Then my PC reboots, does the install thing, and now my OS is missing.

My BIOS/UEFA can see the drives just fine, and after running a complete system restore, there's still nothing. Should I be worried?

My PC is as mentioned above, with the only difference being the new PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 850

Update: I did as Windows requested, disconnected any drive that doesn't contain windows, and now it boots. Any ideas?

Update 2: After unplugging my drives, and booting up my PC with one more drive plugged in each time, it now works again. I'm at a loss as to what is going wrong. All I know is that it happened at the same time as a major windows update, but if that is a result of the update, or a coincidence, I have no idea.