Great place to learn C++ ?

Spev

I'm taking a class as part of my degree and enjoy C++, but I'm a beginner. The class is really boring (slow paced) & I want to excel & learn at my own pace. I am wondering what options I have that would be great for learning C++. I don't mind books but I enjoy (as most people probably would) to watch video tutorials or oral explanations, I learn extremely well by watching & then doing, if that helps. What would be some good options for me? I don't mind paying if it's legit, but ofc free is better lol, thanks team.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

codecademy?

UE4 is also in C++ so that might be some motivation for you if you need it

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

codecademy?

Doesn't teach C++

I am wondering what options I have that would be great for learning C++. I don't mind books but I enjoy (as most people probably would) to watch video tutorials or oral explanations, I learn extremely well by watching & then doing, if that helps. What would be some good options for me? I don't mind paying if it's legit, but ofc free is better lol, thanks team.

• Books come highly recommended for learning C++.
  • Here is some more advice regarding learning C++.
  • Here are some more resources for C++.
  • Lynda.com (offer code wanshow) also has some C++ video tutorials.

Doesn't teach C++

OMG, that first link says Strousstrup's C++ book reads like K&R? No way, Strousstrup's book is so boring. It has some cool code segments, but the quality of writing is nowhere close to K&R, which is second only to SICP for readability imo. 

I'm taking a class as part of my degree and enjoy C++, but I'm a beginner. The class is really boring (slow paced) & I want to excel & learn at my own pace. I am wondering what options I have that would be great for learning C++. I don't mind books but I enjoy (as most people probably would) to watch video tutorials or oral explanations, I learn extremely well by watching & then doing, if that helps. What would be some good options for me? I don't mind paying if it's legit, but ofc free is better lol, thanks team.

Are you a beginner in programming, or a beginner in C++? If it's the former, C++ isn't important, learning to program is. And Brian Harvey's CS61A class is flat out amazing for teaching you to think in terms of understanding the program instead of fumbling around in a hard to use language like C++. It uses a language called Scheme that is so simple you learn its rules in the first lecture. 

http://inst.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cs61a/sp11/

If you have any interest in this truly phenomenal course download ucbscheme and run it either through Linux (whether native or in a virtual machine like Virtualbox or VMWare Player). The textbook is free too, and it's a masterpiece. Challenging and readable, and always exciting. I remember reading this book after two quarters of introductory programming (using C++) and I kept thinking "Wow, you can do that?" over and over while reading this incredible book. It made me a way better C++ programmer too even though it never mentions the language.

https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/

There a book called learn C++ in 28 days. There should be a PDF somewhere online. It was pretty helpful last time I read it

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I researched this a while back and it seemed the general consensus was to get a book. C++ Primer Plus and Bjarne Stroupstrup's book were recommended to me.

Doesn't teach C++

I'm interested in the Lynda videos, they seem interesting. That WAN show link is helpful, they have some previews which are nice, typically (just found out) it looks like Lynda just gives you an introduction video on most topics and you have to sign up for the rest & the intro doesn't give you any idea of what the course would be like. Might give Lynda a shot. They have a lot of different languages on there and the courses aren't painfully long. I could watch an entire one in probably a few hours worth of time. This might be just what I need to get a foot in the door into programming. After I get a basic knowledge of some languages I think I'll better understand text books and more advanced readings out there.

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

As somebody said before; if you're new to programming then your main focus should be learning 'programming' rather than a specific language. I'd recommend doing the codecademy course on java. It has many similarities to C++, and the knowledge of programming learnt is equally applicable.