Error: Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

• Hello everyone,
  • I've been running a pretty hefty 3D program called Maya from autodesk. I've been animating for some time now, but I've had this error message start to appear more and more often. When it does, Maya and any other open windows or programs freeze and I lose all unsaved progress. Having YouTube and Maya open at the same time almost guarantees the error will occur. The error message that appears is "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". This seems to be a pretty common thing when I scanned the internet forums, and I tried editing my TdrDelay by upping it to 8 from the previous 0 but that didn't work and ended up giving me a new error message "application has been blocked from accessing hardware" so I undid the edits I made. I also tried troubleshooting my RAM to see if one out of the two sticks was broken, but they both were getting the original error. I'm kind of at my wits end here and I need to get Maya up and running so I can do my homework, please help! I've attached a screenshot with the error.
  • operating system: 
    • Windows 10 Home 64 bit.
  • specs: 
    • Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz Quad-Core
    • motherboard AsRock Z97 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 
    • G.Skill Ares series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866
    • 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD drive
    • 500 GB Western Digital HDD drive
    • EVGA Supernova GS 650W 80+
    • XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card

BIOS version:​

• American Megatrends Inc. P1.60, 1/15/2015

post-244049-0-94735700-1453250817_thumb.

sounds like your gpu may be going bad

"I take great pride in my humility" -Me

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1614 ($629 with sales)
  • Games owned: 126
  • Games played: 111 (88%)
  • Hours on record: 3,483.3h

Ok, going into a bit more detail there are some things you can check to help trouble shoot this issue.

What version of catalyst drivers are you using? 

Im assuming that your GPU has some load on it while undertaking the maya tasks, whats temps / load are you encountering?

Since the release of crimson iv been experiencing this issue non stop due to rising temps so iv had to manually up the fan speed to compensate.

When the drivers do crash, go into the event logs of your computer and have a look for any critical errors which match up with the times the driver stopped working to see if it gives you any more details.

Hopefully just some basic troubleshooting will help eliminate a lot of guess work and help identify the cause behind the fault, on a side note this issue has only been happening to me when I 'upgraded' to windows 10 and after a clean install I never encountered this issue (but thats a last resort move).

Let us know how you go ;)

sounds like your gpu may be going bad

My GPU was a refurbished one, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was dying. 

Cesario, I'm not exactly sure how to check a lot of these things, but I think my catalyst driver version is 15.11. In the past my temperatures stayed in the 30s while running Maya, how do you suggest to check the load/temp?

I've attached a screenshot of the event logs that were related to my problem. They were listed under warnings and there were no critical errors. Is this the info you mentioned? My Windows 10 is a clean install. I bought it when I built the pc, so I don't think that is the problem (the update killed my laptop :angry: ).

Thanks for the quick replies!  :)

post-244049-0-59057000-1453274094_thumb.

maybe try older drivers...?

"I take great pride in my humility" -Me

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: $1614 ($629 with sales)
  • Games owned: 126
  • Games played: 111 (88%)
  • Hours on record: 3,483.3h

To check the temps I use Open hardware monitor, it will display loads, speeds and temps of your components.

I would agree with @DolphinOps, check and see how your system is fairing and if you notice the temps are higher than expected under load, try and roll back the graphics drivers to see if that makes any difference, im thinking its either temps or crappy driver install (common on W10 due to permissions not installing all components)(make sure you 'run as administrator)

Okay, so it looks like my GPU load is staying below 61.0% and the core is staying below 38. The voltage is below 1.200, the clocks for the core is below 1000MHz and the memory is below 1500MHz. The fans are operating at 1019RPM. All of these seem like reasonable numbers to me. Do any of these seem out of the ordinary? I'll try an older driver if that is the case.