Looking for a mATX case that fits my wants/needs...

FoxxyRin

Basically, my dream case would be a Define Mini with a window, and a few upgrades from the R5. However, that doesn't exist. I know Fractal Design just released a new Mini Define S, but it's mITX, and I need the expandability of a mATX.

Wants/Needs:

• Sleek, minimalistic design.
  • At least one front bay or other non-USB option for an optical drive.
  • Side-panel window. (I'm a sucker for aesthetics.)
  • Support for at least a single radiator, though I'm hoping for a 240/280.
  • Not too finger-printy.
  • CABLE MANAGEMENT!!!
  • A basement/PSU shroud would be a dream.
  • Preferably some sort of door to cover the bays. (Does not apply if it has a non-bay solution for the drive, like the EVGA Hadron.)
  • Under $150

I think that should be all of my wants/needs. I know it's super picky, but I'm fine with sacrificing some things here and there. Possibly even the optical drive. Please and thank you for any help. ♥

Bonus Question: My current theme is Black and "Corsair Blue." However, I've been eyeing some black/white parts. Which do you think would look nicer? Black/Blue with blue/white LEDs, or Black/White with RGB LEDs?

Corsair 350D is your best bet.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Phanteks Ethoo Evlov

enthoo-evolv-1.jpg

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

I've always loved that case, except for one stupid problem...

350D-08b.jpg

I don't understand how Corsair thought that looked okay! I'd really prefer to not have to stealth that drive, since it requires tools I don't want to have to buy for a single use. It's also on the large side for being mATX. 17.70" x 8.30" x 17.30" -- At that point, I might as well just spare a few extra inches and get the R5.

Or you could get the Fractal Design Arc Mini. Finding an mATX with a PSU shroud will be difficult and the best option is the Enthoo Evolv it's absolutely beautiful however it lacks front bay.

NB sorry to mention the Phanteks Evolv does have a optical drive slot however it's at the rear which actually helps keep it's minimalist looks.

I've always loved that case, except for one stupid problem...

-snip-

I don't understand how Corsair thought that looked okay! I'd really prefer to not have to stealth that drive, since it requires tools I don't want to have to buy for a single use.

They made the case wider than the 5.25" bays, which is why it would look stupid with an ODD installed. But that's the compromise they had to make to still make the case look clean from the front.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

Phanteks Ethoo Evlov

These two are really good.

Im currently using a Corsair Air 240. Its sleek, small and has amazing cable management due to its dual chamber design, aswell as great airflow.

CC-9011070-WW-600x600.jpg

I bought a few days ago the Fractial Design ARC Mini R2. (Still waiting for arrival

fractal4.jpg

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

The Evolv case is really nice as well. I had no idea about the rear-mounted optical bay! That's really weird, though, haha~

I've also considered the Arc Mini, but I *really* want that clean aesthetic like the R5 has, where the entire case looks incredibly plain and sleek, and then BAM! In the window, in all its glory, is gonna be my build. Like I said before, I'm a huge sucker for aesthetics. :P

+1 on the Fractal however after 18 months it is showing its age

after 18 months it is showing its age

What do you mean by this?

The Evolv case is really nice as well. I had no idea about the rear-mounted optical bay! That's really weird, though, haha~

I've also considered the Arc Mini, but I *really* want that clean aesthetic like the R5 has, where the entire case looks incredibly plain and sleek, and then BAM! In the window, in all its glory, is gonna be my build. Like I said before, I'm a huge sucker for aesthetics. :P

Custom mods can perhaps make it how you like on the ARC Mini. For example this build

2cff93b2e0dfc36dbcefecff54f85880.jpg

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

What do you mean by this?

The plastic is beginning to look old, filters full of dust that's difficult to remove etc.

The plastic is beginning to look old, filters full of dust that's difficult to remove etc.

Hmm.

I own a Xigmatek Aquila which sounds like it could be right up your alley except that it doesn't have a PSU Cover or a front bay door. It's very well build and building in it is easy enough albeit not the most convenient thing ever. There are other cases which feature the same or a very similar internal layout like the Aerocool DS Cube for example. Personnally I'm very happy with it.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Even when you run the filter underwater?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Even when you run the filter underwater?

Yep :(

I think it depends more on the kind of dust consistency and buildup you have in your room rather than the quality of the case. Smoking indoors makes cleaning up dust extremely difficult for example but there can be other factors as well. I myself have my living room combined with my kitchen and my PC is also in the same room. That means that the dust in the room is brownish and super sticky simply because of the evaporating fumes which are saturated with fat when cooking. I actually had to take apart my intake filter and give it a handwash with a laundry detergent to clean it up completely.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit