Nvidia Beta driver 361.60 might include a fix for the Maxwell memory speed bug in GPGPU

For those of you unaware, the RAM on Maxwell cards is supposed to run at 3505mhz (so 7010mhz effective speed). Yet when running tasks such as Boinc and F@H, many users noticed it was only running at 3001mhz for an effective 6002mhz due to it being in P State 2 instead of P0 (didn't affect games, though). The solution was to just manually "OC" the RAM for it to run at the correct speeds.

However, there's a new Beta driver (current ver is 361.43, the beta is 361.60) which includes a mysterious "Install & clocking related issues". When questioned about what was such fix, an Nvidia representative said "It addresses issue where memory clock speed was not running at full speed with certain apps/games.", which made me think that the clock speed bug might be solved now.

Link to the topic: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/910177/geforce-drivers/announcing-geforce-hotfix-driver-361-60/

If anyone could test this for me, I'd be appreciated, as I long modded my Bios to constantly run at the speed and can't really test if the problem was solved or not.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Does memory speed even affect folding?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Does memory speed even affect folding?

I'm not sure. Most likely no.

Though it does speed up 22million digit prime testing quite a lot, so......

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

One of my OCd cards (a 950) won't clock past 450MHz on 361.43 for the GPU while folding and I had to roll back to the 359 driver to get my OC and boost back to the regular 1514MHz while folding, I also had the 361.43 driver completely fail and corrupt on me yesterday while I was trying to OC one of my other cards more (another 950)  and I had to completely reinstall the driver. Also 361.43 my SLI config (2x 960) won't stay stable overclocked as high as I know it can go on 359. In my experience 361.43 just sucks and it might just be GM206 cards doing it since I have 2 seperate 950s and my dual 960 SLI setup only to test it with. Anyone else have these problems? maybe I should test the beta drivers

CPU: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 3960X | Motherboard: Intel DX79SR "Stormville" | RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series DDR3 PC3-12800 (4x 8GB) Quad-Channel | GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 970 FTW 4GB in SLI (I have Many other builds plus 100+ Macs (don't judge me)... Many specs are listed on my profile)

[PC#1] Log: [Link] [PC#2] Log: [Link] F@H stats: [Link]

One of my OCd cards (a 950) won't clock past 450MHz on 361.43 for the GPU while folding and I had to roll back to the 359 driver to get my OC and boost back to the regular 1514MHz while folding, I also had the 361.43 driver completely fail and corrupt on me yesterday while I was trying to OC one of my other cards more (another 950)  and I had to completely reinstall the driver. Also 361.43 my SLI config (2x 960) won't stay stable overclocked as high as I know it can go on 359. In my experience 361.43 just sucks and it might just be GM206 cards doing it since I have 2 seperate 950s and my dual 960 SLI setup only to test it with. Anyone else have these problems? maybe I should test the beta drivers

Yeah, I also had some issues with the latest driver. Insta crash whenever Media Player was opened while I had any crunching going on (like, every single time). Also having Kernel exception errors when the screen saver would pop up. Unfortunately those are still present in the .60 release; still the main question is about the memory clock speed.

Please guys, don't make me tweak the Bios of my card again....

For the previous 3 drivers, I couldn't even launch a bench at 1600 when I knew that when I first got the card, it could run heaven the whole way through 8 hours stable.

Now, finally, I can do benches at 1600 again :D

It fixed most clock issues it seems.

Best Bench Runs & 24/7 Rig

Spoiler

Best Bench Runs

i5 4670k (XTU) - 4.7GHz Core / 4.5GHz Cache | GTX 980 (FireStrike Extreme) 1620MHz Core / 4000MHz Memory (GPUPI) 1721MHz | G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB - 2200MHz CL10-11-11-24 1T

Spoiler

24/7 Rig & Clocks

i5 4670k 4.5GHz (Swiftech H320) | MSI Z87 MPower Max | ASUS GTX 980 1580MHz 4000MHz (NZXT Kraken X41) | 3x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Corsair Air 540 | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | 120GB Kingston SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda

For the previous 3 drivers, I couldn't even launch a bench at 1600 when I knew that when I first got the card, it could run heaven the whole way through 8 hours stable.

Now, finally, I can do benches at 1600 again :D

It fixed most clock issues it seems.

Did it fix the memory clock bug I stated early? That's what I'm really interested in, not core clock related problems.

I like the maybe part. We might fix the problem, but we´re not sure yet.

I'd imagine they're saying maybe since this is a beta driver.

Okay guys, thx for not being of any use on the subject and forcing me Bios mod again just to test this. And the answer is.....

.... still broken. Wow nvidia. Just wow......

I can confirm this hotfix driver doesn't fix this issue in my case (no pun intended)

I'm unable to increase Mem Clock in MSI AB unless i am running something like 3d Mark at the time. I believe this to be a known problem with not just MSI's AB but PrecisionX etc.

Folding, the mem clock runs @ 3304Mhz

3DMark it's near on 3900Mhz  (with +400 in AB)

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

I can confirm this hotfix driver doesn't fix this issue in my case (no pun intended)

I'm unable to increase Mem Clock in MSI AB unless i am running something like 3d Mark at the time. I believe this to be a known problem with not just MSI's AB but PrecisionX etc.

Folding, the mem clock runs @ 3304Mhz

3DMark it's near on 3900Mhz  (with +400 in AB)

Yes, you won't be able to increase mem clock in MSI AB whilst folding, because MSI AB can only alter P0 state. (The 3D state)

The power state your card goes into when folding cannot be controlled by MSI Afterburner.  If you wish to change it, you'll need to either mod the BIOS, or use Nvidia inspector.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

361.75 official is out now. I'm yet to test but don't imagine there being a difference.

Nothing was mentioned in the release notes.

CPU: i7-5960X @ 4.5Ghz MB: Rampage V Extreme GPU: Titan X (self OC) Mem: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 @ 3000 PSU: Corsair AX1200i With Green/Black Sleeved Cablemod Cables, Case: Corsair 900D KB: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry Red, Mouse: Logitech G502 + Destructor 2 Mat, Sound: Logitech Z623 Speakers, Display: 2x Samsung BX2440's, Cooling: Corsair H100i on CPU. 5x 140mm Intake fans + 1x 140mm Exhaust.

Damn 361.75 is still placing the memory clock @ 3305Mhz in P2 state

Damn 361.75 is still placing the memory clock @ 3305Mhz in P2 state

Yaaaaaay.

I just hope they at least fixed the Media Player Classic insta-crash bug.........