RAM is doing weard things and I do not like it

prieter

I would a. recommend Anti-MalwareBytes (You don't need to keep it just run it once or every once in a while)
b. get windows 7
and c.Use SysInternals and find out what is actually taking the ram
(You don't NEED sysinternals but it is a LOT better than the windows 7/8/10 TaskMgr)

I would a. recommend Anti-MalwareBytes (You don't need to keep it just run it once or every once in a while)

b. get windows 7

and c.Use SysInternals and find out what is actually taking the ram

(You don't NEED sysinternals but it is a LOT better than the windows 7/8/10 TaskMgr)

Sadly, sysinternals doesn't show (kernelspace) drivers, so this is likely not very useful. And recommending to get windows 7 is a bit drastic.

Memory Clean is a program that Trim Processes and clear Memory Cache.

http://www.koshyjohn.com/software/

Or Task Manager is being stopid again, have you tried Resource Monitor? 

And do you notice any slow downs or crashes? 

RAM Cleaners are generally detrimental. Windows knows how to handle RAM best.

In the case of a memory leak, especially one in driver space, these tools also won't free the RAM (unless they're overaggressive.)

RAM Cleaners are generally detrimental. Windows knows how to handle RAM best.

In the case of a memory leak, especially one in driver space, these tools also won't free the RAM (unless they're overaggressive.)

Saved me 20% ram soo no Windows does not handle this...

Saved me 20% ram soo no Windows does not handle this...

I'm not questioning whether it can free up RAM, I believe your word on that. The reason I call it detrimental, though, is that using less RAM is not always better.

Windows, especially as of Windows 7, actually never barely have actual free RAM at all. At any given time, windows will spare only a couple of MB of RAM. The rest is divided into Hardware reserved RAM which is usually negligible and necessary for iGPU/BIOS access, In Use RAM which is running processes, drivers, the kernel etc, and standby RAM.

When you start an application, traditionally it would load off a harddisk. This is slow, so newer windows versions cache frequently accessed stuff onto *unused* RAM. This makes accessing things a lot faster. Now when something requests more RAM, let's say a game, windows will automatically free up this cache and give it to the game.

Why most RAM cleaners are bad? They intentionally force windows to "flush" this cache and other inactive memory to the pagefile or to purge it alltogether. Yes, you freed memory. technically, you did. But now when you load something, windows has to first get it in cache again, which is actually slower. Windows would have done this as well, but only when some other program actually needs it.

There are exceptions. Sometimes (such as this case) a program can leak memory. Sometimes that can be a driver, in which case windows is not ay fault, and ram cleaners can barely do anything. This is because those programs or drivers are using the active RAM already. There is no cache RAM left, so there is nothing that a RAM cleaner can flush.

I'm not questioning whether it can free up RAM, I believe your word on that. The reason I call it detrimental, though, is that using less RAM is not always better.

Windows, especially as of Windows 7, actually never barely have actual free RAM at all. At any given time, windows will spare only a couple of MB of RAM. The reat is divided into Hardware reserved RAM which is usually negligible and necessary for iGPU/BIOS access, In Use RAM which is running processes, drivers, the kernel etc, and standby RAM.

When you start an application, traditionally it would load off a harddisk. This is slow, so newer windows versions cache frequently accessed stuff onto *unused* RAM. This makes accessing things a lot faster. Now when something requests more RAM, let's say a game, windows will automatically free up this cache and give it to the game.

Why most RAM cleaners are bad? They intentionally force windows to "flush" this cache and other inactive memory to the pagefile or to purge it alltogether. Yes, you freed memory. technically, you did. But now when you load something, windows has to first get it in cache again, which is actually slower. Windows would have done this as well, but only when some other program actually needs it.

There are exceptions. Sometimes (such as this case) a program can leak memory. Sometimes that can be a driver, in which case windows is not ay fault, and ram cleaners can barely do anything.

I have not seen Windows clearing RAM cache EVER and than i don't kill it instantly just every 5 minutes.

I have not seen Windows clearing RAM cache EVER and than i don't kill it instantly just every 5 minutes.

That's because it's all transparently done by the Kernel's memory management. When you load an application, Windows allocates it the heap and stack memory that it requests. This is done in very small increments, usually just a couple KB to a couple MB at a time. Every time an application requests more RAM from the OS, it takes a certain range of memory and tells the application to use that range.

Since windows barely has any actual free RAM, it has to flush or page away a bit of its cache to the pagefile. The memory that was cache is now ready to be used by the application. It's a continually ongoing mechanism that applies to every running process. If you close an application, memory is freed by it. Windows fills this with cache data to speed up subsequent loads. Somethings needs Memory, windows gets rid of a bit of cache again.

You'll only ever really notice it when you actually hit full RAM usage. Let's say you have 8GB of RAM and a game demands 7GB. Windows will frantically start flushing all your cached data to the pagefile. This is why, as active In Use RAM starts getting close to the actual physical RAM installed, the system gets slow. It's because windows is forced to flush things to the pagefile even though they're frequently used - the same thing RAM cleaners do but on a bigger scale.

Hey there, I have a pair of 4 gb RAM sticks from kingston (1600 DDR 3) It's doing some weard things when the pc is powered on for like 6 hours. It doesn't seem to clear the RAM.  Everything slows down and i have to manually shut down my pc. However, when i opened task manager it basicly told me the pc was at 99% RAM usage, but the source is unknown. This is the second time this happend. I made a picture with my phone from the task manager since screenshot didn't open due to the full RAM.

note: RAM is bought in Oktober 2015

Full specs:

- i7 4790k

- gtx 970

- 256gb Samsung 850EVO

- 1tb WD blue

- gigabyte Z97X gaming 3

- Kingston HyperX 2 X 4 gb 1600 DDR3

- Cooler master seidon V2 cpu cooler

I hope that someone can help me because this is giving me the creeps.

Have you tried putting different RAM in your system because it might be faulty RAM rather than a program

Sadly, sysinternals doesn't show (kernelspace) drivers, so this is likely not very useful. And recommending to get windows 7 is a bit drastic.

I didn't even think of this* And yeah you are right.. I dunno why I recommended it in this situation :mellow:

I didn't even think of this* And yeah you are right.. I dunno why I recommended it in this situation :mellow:

It's all good, not many people know about this since driver leaks are pretty rare.

Allright, i've seen your suggestions. I've deleted chrome first of all. I ran memtest86 and it took 4 hours but my RAM is allright. 0 errors found. It doesn't show up anymore so it could be chrome memory leak.

Allright, i've seen your suggestions. I've deleted chrome first of all. I ran memtest86 and it took 4 hours but my RAM is allright. 0 errors found. It doesn't show up anymore so it could be chrome memory leak.

"deleted" Chrome?!?!  Sounds like you didn't do it right.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

How didn't I do it right ? I just went into system management > delete programms and deleted google Chrome.

From the looks of it prieter is from Germany, English (again guessing here) is not his first language, Im assuming he meant uninstall.

From the looks of it prieter is from Germany, English (again guessing here) is not his first language, Im assuming he meant uninstall.

Firstly, English is not my primair language. Secondly I am from Holland and for the record, I did mean uninstall :P

• 5 weeks later...

And it seems the problem continue's. My ram is constantly at 93%, even when my programms aren't open.

On 22-2-2016 at 4:02 PM, prieter said:

And it seems the problem continue's. My ram is constantly at 93%, even when my programms aren't open.

Have you tried my method yet?