RAM is doing weard things and I do not like it

prieter

Hey there, I have a pair of 4 gb RAM sticks from kingston (1600 DDR 3) It's doing some weard things when the pc is powered on for like 6 hours. It doesn't seem to clear the RAM.  Everything slows down and i have to manually shut down my pc. However, when i opened task manager it basicly told me the pc was at 99% RAM usage, but the source is unknown. This is the second time this happend. I made a picture with my phone from the task manager since screenshot didn't open due to the full RAM.

note: RAM is bought in Oktober 2015

Full specs:

- i7 4790k
- gtx 970
- 256gb Samsung 850EVO
- 1tb WD blue

- gigabyte Z97X gaming 3
- Kingston HyperX 2 X 4 gb 1600 DDR3
- Cooler master seidon V2 cpu cooler

I hope that someone can help me because this is giving me the creeps.

post-228683-0-80620700-1453154414_thumb.

Hey there, I have a pair of 4 gb RAM sticks from kingston (1600 DDR 3) It's doing some weard things when the pc is powered on for like 6 hours. It doesn't seem to clear the RAM.  Everything slows down and i have to manually shut down my pc. However, when i opened task manager it basicly told me the pc was at 99% RAM usage, but the source is unknown. This is the second time this happend. I made a picture with my phone from the task manager since screenshot didn't open due to the full RAM.

Full specs:

- i7 4790k

- gtx 970

- 256gb Samsung 850EVO

- 1tb WD blue

- gigabyte Z97X gaming 3

uninstall chrome.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Hey there, I have a pair of 4 GB RAM sticks from Kingston (1600 DDR3) It's doing some weird things when the pc is powered on for like 6 hours. It doesn't seem to clear the RAM.  Everything slows down and I have to manually shut down my pc. However, when I opened task manager it basically told me the pc was at 99% RAM usage, but the source is unknown. This is the second time this happened. I made a picture with my phone from the task manager since screen shot didn't open due to the full RAM.

note: RAM is bought in October 2015

Windows update? check if any are stuck

It's two tasks, one of them is "System" and the other is "System and Compressed Memory". Windows 10 sucks fucking ass at clearing RAM so it just gets messy.

So how can i resolve this? 

And checked for updates, which tells me everything is installed.

Short answer: you can't.

Long answer: I genuinely don't know. I think it's an issue mostly associated with upgrade copies of Windows 10.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

This was a windows 10 install from the start. I've never ubgraded from windows 8.1. Furthermore, does uninstalling chrome help like the guy told ? 

Full specs:

- i7 4790k

- gtx 970

- 256gb Samsung 850EVO

- 1tb WD blue

- gigabyte Z97X gaming 3

Im not sure is your system infected or its Windows 10

-snip-

Edited by Blade of Grass
Removed advertising link

I have a great virusscanner, so i will run a large test this night. Hope that it get's resolved. 

Ty for your help, since I know RAM problems can be really hard do diagnose properly.

It will tell you what is using up your RAM. If you're using chrome I can almost guarantee its Chrome,

CPU - i7-4790k | CPU Cooler - NZXT Kraken X53 | Motherboard -  Asus Gyphon Z97 Armour Edition | RAM - Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | Graphics Card - MSI GTX 1070 | Power Supply - Corsair CS750M | Storage - Seagate 1TB HDD | Samsung 500GB 850 Evo | Case - Fractal Design ARC Mini R2 | Colour Theme - Generic Red & Black

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals - Corsair RGB Mechanical K70 Keyboard/Corsair M65 Mouse

Click here to give a damn

But it wasn't my chrome, the program which used my RAM wasn't shown.

I have a great virusscanner, so i will run a large test this night. Hope that it get's resolved. 

Ty for your help, since I know RAM problems can be really hard do diagnose properly.

can you quote please? its hard to know if you have responded :P

and get CPU-Z and see what that says about the ram

https://gyazo.com/a07e8f55e00ee7f5f554cf0f05b8fc7d

https://gyazo.com/5f467344a003f79fb13ea38aef5dbb53 This is the same for slot 2 and 4

I recommend trying Process Explorer, and see if this gives you anymore indication as to what's using the memory

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

My pc doesn't want to open it because it thinks it's malware.

oh hmm idk anymore ive ran out of ideas xD give me 10 mins or so please :3

oh hmm idk anymore ive ran out of ideas xD give me 10 mins or so please :3

Mannaged to open it anywayz. It tells me that i missed a wifi driver, but that is not the problem I can assure you :P

It happend again when i opened my pc in the morning. The whole pc was as slow as a turtle and Nicolas Cage.

It happend again when i opened my pc in the morning. The whole pc was as slow as a turtle and Nicolas Cage.

Sorry I was like 10 years xD I had to go but anyways so your PC was extremely slow? Btw I'm gonna have to go to school in a bit so I don't have long xD

Try increasing the pagefile size by x3. This will most likely give your ram, enough room to flush itself out.

Could be a memory leak in some program you are using.

Linus explains it here on techquickie:

Yes my pc was very slow. I am running memtest86 now so let's hope that gives a result.

My pc doesn't want to open it because it thinks it's malware.

You might be on to something there. Most virus scanners don't actually check and remove Malware, but just viruses. Download Malwarebytes and do a scan. I once had an issue with malware on my system that I resolved that way, although it wasn't associated with RAM.

Otherwise, you could try to buy a cheap set of the same RAM and see if that stuff works instead. If you buy from amazon, you might even be able to return the RAM sticks, and thus only pay amazon fees and a small price for unpack aging the product. If it is used, it might be even cheaper. You can try different RAM too, but I just think that Kingston is good because it is the cheapest. If you have a dedicated graphics card, just go ahead and buy two 1333mhz slots.

Note however that I do not know the exact amazon policies where you live. It could be that you don't even have to pay the extra amazon tax where you live.

​good luck!

Yes my pc was very slow. I am running memtest86 now so let's hope that gives a result.

By the way: before you go and do what I said in my last post, maybe try to just take out the ram and put it back in. I don't think it will help, but it's better to actually just try that than to not try it at all. Maybe even try to start the computer after doing that, then shut down and put them in again.

​Again, I don't think it will help, but it might. Getting the other two sticks of RAM will eliminate the possibility of the problem actually being with the ram if the issue still persists. If your MOBO supports up to 4 ram slots you will just have more ram in the worst-case scenario (although then I would recommend getting a pair of 1600mhz sticks.)

@prieter You've got a memory leak somewhere.

Memory Leaks

Someone already posted a video here from AFAP; it has good info.

If there isn't any process in the task manager using excessive amounts of RAM, it's a kernel driver issue.

Kernel drivers don't show up in the task manager and most other tools. I've got your back.

Getting PoolMon

Poolmon is a tool that you can use in windows to find out various details about kernel-space driver memory usage.

To get poolmon, install http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=526733 The Windows Driver Kit. Beware though that this is a pretty big installation!

Using Poolmon

Open a CMD and punch in this command - you may need admin rights:

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Tools\x64"poolmon /p

Note that the directory where poolmon resides may be slightly different depending on the version that you have. Just look in the near vicinity of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits" for Poolmon

Finding the culprit

In Poolmon, press B - it sorts from high to low, counting the size in bytes of the memory usage in the pool.
For the top entry (there might be multiple big entries), get the tag (For example, my highest entry is NDbf.) and locate the actual driver name. Punch these two in another CMD prompt(Replacing NDbf with your tag):

cd C:\windows\system32\driversfindstr /m /l NDbf *.sys

results in "SamsungRapidDiskFltr.sys" for me. This makes sense since Samsung's RAPID mode is enabled and caches stuff into my RAM.

Now what

You should now know which driver is eating your RAM. Update it, find an alternative or remove it. Maybe lodge a support ticket with the responsible company.