[Ubuntu] Minecraft Launcher Issue

I used plain Ubuntu with Unity for years, and I decided to try something new. I installed Gnome 3 and downloaded a theme I like, however, when I try to launch Minecraft with any theme but Ambiance (Unity default) it freezes before fully launching the launcher. Does anyone know a fix for this? Even the default gnome theme will not work with the launcher. I can change the theme back after the fact without any problems.

Frozen Launcher (Sometimes it just crashes)

Screenshot%20from%202016-01-16%2013-27-3

Launcher working with Ambiance Theme (Unity Default)

Screenshot%20from%202016-01-16%2013-34-2

Edit: This is the only program I have issues with, everything else works just fine with both my installed theme, and the defaults for both unity and gnome.

Lord of Helium.

I used plain Ubuntu with Unity for years, and I decided to try something new. I installed Gnome 3 and downloaded a theme I like, however, when I try to launch Minecraft with any theme but Ambiance (Unity default) it freezes before fully launching the launcher. Does anyone know a fix for this? Even the default gnome theme will not work with the launcher. I can change the theme back after the fact without any problems.

Frozen Launcher (Sometimes it just crashes)

Screenshot%20from%202016-01-16%2013-27-3

Launcher working with Ambiance Theme (Unity Default)

Screenshot%20from%202016-01-16%2013-34-2

Edit: This is the only program I have issues with, everything else works just fine with both my installed theme, and the defaults for both unity and gnome.

w-w-w-wait you can get themes? :o wot r dey?

GTK themes, surprisingly simple to get if you install your DE's tweak tool.

Lord of Helium.

Should create a crash log somewhere, I believe they are stored under /home/USER/Documents/Minecraft/crash-reports ?

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

Should create a crash log somewhere, I believe they are stored under /home/USER/Documents/Minecraft/crash-reports ?

No crash logs there. Usually it doesn't crash, just sits forever doing nothing.

Lord of Helium.

Do these themes require any outside dependencies, are they tested and confirmed to work with Gnome 3? 

Are you using openJDK or Proprietary? 

Do these themes require any outside dependencies, are they tested and confirmed to work with Gnome 3? 

Are you using openJDK or Proprietary? 

OpenJDK, The default theme did not work, and the one I installed was tested and confirmed to work with gnome 3. The only theme that seems to work is unity's default (ambiance).

Lord of Helium.

Try launching it from the CLI. See what it outputs when it crashes.

Mate don't quote the OP, I don't need to scroll past the exact same thing twice.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

Try launching it from the CLI. See what it outputs when it crashes.

Mate don't quote the OP, I don't need to scroll past the exact same thing twice.

How would I go about launching it from the CLI (command line?)? It's probably one of many things I have never done despite using linux for years xD

Lord of Helium.

How would I go about launching it from the CLI (command line?)? It's probably one of many things I have never done despite using linux for years xD

I find it hard to believe that you haven't used the CLI if you have used linux for years.

But anyways, I don't have java installed so I can't check but I think its something like

java -jar /path/to/minecraft.jar
If that doesn't work check the manual pages for it. Probably 'man openJDK', 'man java', or 'man jre{versionnumber}'

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

I find it hard to believe that you haven't used the CLI if you have used linux for years.

But anyways, I don't have java installed so I can't check but I think its something like

java -jar /path/to/minecraft.jar
If that doesn't work check the manual pages for it. Probably 'man openJDK', 'man java', or 'man jre{versionnumber}'

I've used the command line for a variety of things, just not running a program.

Java: Fatal IO error 11 (resource temporarily unavailable) on X server:0.

Lord of Helium.

I've used the command line for a variety of things, just not running a program.

Java: Fatal IO error 11 (resource temporarily unavailable) on X server:0.

you need to cd to the minecraft directory and type java -jar minecraft.jar

you need to cd to the minecraft directory and type java -jar minecraft.jar

Ah, okay that worked. The launcher didn't launch fully like earlier, except this time it got nowhere at all.

Screenshot%20from%202016-01-17%2009-49-3

It never crashed either.

Lord of Helium.

So uh... nobody has a solution to this?

Oh crap. I think I just realized what it is. I didn't notice before but you are using a dark theme. One that turns the font colour of all your applications that don't set the colour themselves to white. So what is happening is that the background color of the minecraft launcher is remaining white but now the font is also white so you can't read it. I would imagine that you should still be able to launch the game if you are logged into the application and click the now invisible start button.

This would seem to be a problem with the minecraft launcher application itself and not a theme problem. I would get in contact with the devs (I don't know the procedure for reporting bugs with them) and explain to them what I just said. And tell them that they should have application set the font color itself instead of letting the system set it.

Of course I haven't used that new launcher... well at all, so I could totally be wrong.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

-snip-

My first screenshot shows the launcher trying to launch with the new theme, with text showing up. All of this shows up in the terminal if it launches correctly. So it's not that, although I went back and enabled the global dark theme, and it seems to have a higher success rate.

Screenshot%20from%202016-01-17%2009-58-0

Lord of Helium.

Well I've narrowed it down to being a problem with Java and not the themes or launcher at all. Java will just crash at startup and leave the launcher hanging. When it does load it will load just fine on any theme. I guess It as just a coincident that it would load every-time i tried with Ambiance.

Lord of Helium.