soldering iec cable

Luke32800

so, i would need to write 5 pages to explain my reasoning for this, but long story short i am trying to make a compact fanless computer. i found a way to make it work, but one of the possibilities of things i would need to do is solder 3 wires from a 3 pin male iec cable to a 3 pin female iec cable. all wire ports going to the corresponding one on the other cable of course. Is this safe? viable? would it even work?

so, i would need to write 5 pages to explain my reasoning for this, but long story short i am trying to make a compact fanless computer. i found a way to make it work, but one of the possibilities of things i would need to do is solder 3 wires from a 3 pin male iec cable to a 3 pin female iec cable. all wire ports going to the corresponding one on the other cable of course. Is this safe? viable? would it even work?

Yes you can as long as you wire it correctly and insulate the connections with the proper heatshrink. There are also ones that allow for spade connectors instead of soldering:

VET-SP-IEC-JACK-1.jpg

Yes you can as long as you wire it correctly and insulate the connections with the proper heatshrink. There are also ones that allow for spade connectors instead of soldering:

VET-SP-IEC-JACK-1.jpg

where can i find an inverted version of this?

where can i find an inverted version of this?

ebay

its called IEC-13 connector

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

okay i just wanted to clarify, i wanted to attach 3 wires to each prong in the power socket of a power supply, and attach those three wires to the corresponding holes on the other side. just making sure we are on the same page.

okay i just wanted to clarify, i wanted to attach 3 wires to each prong in the power socket of a power supply, and attach those three wires to the corresponding holes on the other side. just making sure we are on the same page.

Basically something like this correct?

Where like in sme SFF builds the PSU connector is extended into the case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370846155227

Basically something like this correct?

Where like in sme SFF builds the PSU connector is extended into the case:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370846155227

yes, but the problem is i cannot have sockets on the beginning and end of the cable, as the problem is my case has a power supply mounted on the bottom with the iec cable slot facing downwards, with a mounted 90 degree extension cable that leads to the back of the case where it can be plugged in. The problem is i had to make a modification to my case, but now when the computer is in its normal position the 90 degree iec cable hits the desk interfering with the power supply and case.

yes, but the problem is i cannot have sockets on the beginning and end of the cable, as the problem is my case has a power supply mounted on the bottom with the iec cable slot facing downwards, with a mounted 90 degree extension cable that leads to the back of the case where it can be plugged in. The problem is i had to make a modification to my case, but now when the computer is in its normal position the 90 degree iec cable hits the desk interfering with the power supply and case.

Ok so you need to make it as you install it into the case, then why not get a cable like this with a 90 connector into the PSU to save space and then cut off the wall plug end and get a solder or bolt on connector to install outside the case to go into a regular cord to plug into the wall.

Cable with 90 degree:

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Universal-Right-IEC320/dp/B006VZI4QA/ref=pd_sim_23_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oLzPkOJPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=02XM1X144GDSCZ8GXHCP

Solder or bolt on Male C13:

http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Power-Inlet-Sockets-Connectors/dp/B00843KZP0/ref=pd_sim_328_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=31%2B1keojTnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1MF30YQ93T4X120JSQQD

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1085

Ok so you need to make it as you install it into the case, then why not get a cable like this with a 90 connector into the PSU to save space and then cut off the wall plug end and get a solder or bolt on connector to install outside the case to go into a regular cord to plug into the wall.

Cable with 90 degree:

http://www.amazon.com/SF-Cable-Universal-Right-IEC320/dp/B006VZI4QA/ref=pd_sim_23_9?ie=UTF8&dpID=41oLzPkOJPL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=02XM1X144GDSCZ8GXHCP

Solder or bolt on Male C13:

http://www.amazon.com/Panel-Power-Inlet-Sockets-Connectors/dp/B00843KZP0/ref=pd_sim_328_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=31%2B1keojTnL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1MF30YQ93T4X120JSQQD

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1085

its hard to explain...

so this is my case:

metis-9b.jpg

so right above the fan are the pci slots with the graphics card that i want and the psu that i want, they would not fit in the case together. but i did find a way, if you look at the psu slot, there is a riser bracket to make room for cooling (and apparently the extender cord but i didnt realize that at the time). if i were to remove the bracket, both would fit. and i did, and it is working so far and will more because room for a fan is no worry with a fanless psu. but the problem is that the end of the extender cord is pushing the power supply up. my solution is attaching wires to the three iec pins on the psu, and run the three wired to an area of the case where the computer can be plugged in.

its hard to explain...

so this is my case:

metis-9b.jpg

so right above the fan are the pci slots. but with the graphics card that i want and the psu that i want, they would not fit in the case together. but i did find a way, if you look at the psu slot, there is a riser bracket to make room for cooling (and apparently the extender cord but i didnt realize that at the time). if i were to remove the bracket, both would fit. and i did, and it is working so far and will more because room for a fan is no worry with a fanless psu. but the problem is that the end of the extender cord is pushing the power supply up. my solution is attaching wires to the three iec pins on the psu, and run the three wired to an area of the case where the computer can be plugged in.

-SNIP-

If your wanting to modify the PSU by opening it up and rewiring it so it doesn't use the original connector and has a cable coming out of it directly that can be done. Of course it would void the warranty and the basic safety stuff of opening a PSU letting it sit for 30-60 mins unplugged beforehand before opening and be mindful of the contacts of the capacitors. 

I get you want to have a silent system being fanless but in a SFF from the previous post but that's just not practical I find especially since your in a case that isn't very open air. not to mention the hardware you would be using may thermal throttle pretty heavy. 

If your wanting to modify the PSU by opening it up and rewiring it so it doesn't use the original connector and has a cable coming out of it directly that can be done. Of course it would void the warranty and the basic safety stuff of opening a PSU letting it sit for 30-60 mins unplugged beforehand before opening and be mindful of the contacts of the capacitors. 

I get you want to have a silent system being fanless but in a SFF from the previous post but that's just not practical I find especially since your in a case that isn't very open air. not to mention the hardware you would be using may thermal throttle pretty heavy. 

okay, so is there a document that you can point me to that would explain how to do this? and in many of linus's videos, he says not to take apart power supplies because the exposed components can harm or kill you. is this true?

okay, so is there a document that you can point me to that would explain how to do this? and in many of linus's videos, he says not to take apart power supplies because the exposed components can harm or kill you. is this true?

Yes note the safety point, the capacitors can hold enough charge to kill someone if it was to pass through their heart. There is no guide for something like this since I haven't seen anyone do it before to directly hookup a connection to a PSU, you would disconnect the socket plug and have a power cable directly connected instead of using that socket and route the cable out of the unit.

I would suggest you to look into different options if your aren't comfortable doing this since it is fairly high voltage and can be dangerous if not done correctly. 

Yes note the safety point, the capacitors can hold enough charge to kill someone if it was to pass through their heart. There is no guide for something like this since I haven't seen anyone do it before to directly hookup a connection to a PSU, you would disconnect the socket plug and have a power cable directly connected instead of using that socket and route the cable out of the unit.

I would suggest you to look into different options if your aren't comfortable doing this since it is fairly high voltage and can be dangerous if not done correctly. 

i would be more comfortable soldering the wires to the pins, so i dont have to take apart the power supply. is this an option?

i would be more comfortable soldering the wires to the pins, so i dont have to take apart the power supply. is this an option?

It would still have the cable coming out the bottom, kind of defeating the purpose of it, and it's possible but I wouldn't recommend it and require insulating each pin/connection. Just as an option can you rotate the PSU that may resolve that issue. As I suggested previously I would go with an SFX PSU or change the case it would make it much easier to build and have less issues with heat. 

It would still have the cable coming out the bottom, kind of defeating the purpose of it, and it's possible but I wouldn't recommend it and require insulating each pin/connection. Just as an option can you rotate the PSU that may resolve that issue. As I suggested previously I would go with an SFX PSU or change the case it would make it much easier to build and have less issues with heat. 

just thought of the simplest solution. i will get larger rubber feet to replace the current ones so it lifts the case up higher.