Windows server 2008 r2 vs Windows 8 performance

I built my PC almost a year ago. My specs amd a10-5800k 8 gigs of ddr3 ram at 1600mhz and the gtx 650 ti boost. Well I ran out of money when it came to the OS so I had dream spark and I thought might as well convert windows server 2008 r2 into a work station because its free. Well a couple months ago my brother bought a PC and it has the a8 in it and is running windows 8. In CPU intensive games like mine craft and planet side 2 he is out performing me with his PC not in graphics just his CPU. I'm thinking its because he has windows 8 and I'm running windows server. Let me know y'all thoughts because I don't want to go dump a bunch of money on a new OS when that's not the problem.

CPU AMD A10-5800k  GPU GTX 960 Gigabyte G1 Motherboard Asrock fm2a75m-dgs Ram G.skill 8gigs ddr3 PSU Corsair HX650 HDD Two 1TB Hitachi 7200 rpm Case Zalman z11

Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire TK with chery mx reds Mouse Logitech m500 Headset Logitech g430 Laptop Lenovo u310 touch Phone HTC one

Windows Server is not meant to be for gaming thats probably why Windows 8 and an A8 is performing better in this instance

dont play game on win server like the name says its made for servers so if you want to game with it get win7 or if you dont mind the metro ui get win8 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Just stay away from server software if the machine is not ment to be running as a server... if it is for gaming, websurfing and office work, go with a regular version of Windows...

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |