What is this SSD in my laptop used for?

WatsOnTV
Go to solution Solved by WatsOnTV,

I don't think cache is displayed in the task manager, but it will display all disk drives that are set up.  If the drive setup has not been changed then that drive is for system cache as noted by the manufacturer.

Disregard my last post, the 32GB SSD is used for cache only and cannot be used as a normal drive. The mSATA SSD has it's own connection however the laptop is designed to use it as cache, although it may become a normal drive if you reinstall window 10 but I'm not 100% sure.

Guess its a cache then. Thanks for your help!

Hi there, I recently got a new laptop and I found that it has an SSD along with the HDD. What is the SSD used for? It's not larg enough to be a boot device, so is it a cache for the HDD? Or is there something I am missing? Refer to the picture. Thanks in advance :)

PS - If this is in the wrong section, please move it.

post-292056-0-63076100-1452864386.png

Does your laptop have an SSHD? If so thats the SSD part :D.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Probably cache for the HDD

Does your laptop have an SSHD? If so thats the SSD part :D.

Cache doesn't appear on the task manager screen like that.

It joins with the HDD to show only one page.

Guess I have an SSHD then?

That is probably a bug in the system.

Go to disk manager and see whether the partition actually exists, or is just some OEM remnant.

Guess I have an SSHD then?

You could always check by heading to the device manager and telling us the disk drive part number.

That is probably a bug in the system.

Go to disk manager and see whether the partition actually exists, or is just some OEM remnant.

Shows as a partition.

You could always check by heading to the device manager and telling us the disk drive part number.

Litterally all it says is SAMSUNG SAMSUNG, but the HDD is a HGST HTS545050A, if this is helpful.

Shows as a partition.

Litterally all it says is SAMSUNG SAMSUNG, but the HDD is a HGST HTS545050A, if this is helpful.

Sir do you have a 12 GB samsung flash drive plugged into your computer right now?

Cause that HDD is hitachi.

Sir do you have a 12 GB samsung flash drive plugged into your computer right now?

Cause that HDD is hitachi.

No flash drives at all, I dont even own a Samsung flash drive so one has never been in this system :P

No flash drives at all, I dont even own a Samsung flash drive so one has never been in this system :P

Then i have no idea what on earth is that xD.

Since it;s a DISK 1 with no letter i would guess that it is a partition that has not been activated.

-snip-

Flash drives don't show up in task manager.

-snip-

Your HDD isn't a SSHD, maybe your laptop has a SSD built-in or something.

Flash drives don't show up in task manager.

Your HDD isn't a SSHD, maybe your laptop has a SSD built-in.

Just in task manager, saw the active time percentage jump from 0% to 1% then back to 0%. What would it be used for?

Just in task manager, saw the active time percentage jump from 0% to 1% then back to 0%. What would it be used for?

Maybe it does act as cache, what is the model of your laptop?

If nothing is on it and the use is always at 0, then it's not being used for anything.  Could it possibly be in a raid array? 

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Maybe it does act as cache, what is the model of your laptop?

It is a Toshiba Satelite 940U.

Not the first time that I've seen this jump in percentage happen, noticed it every couple of minutes now that I'm looking.

If nothing is on it and the use is always at 0, then it's not being used for anything.  Could it possibly be in a raid array? 

There is a raid controller in this system, so maybe yes.

It's for system cache use only and the drive is not accessible. Jester is right though, I don't see any models that aren't a 32GB SSD and Windows would only take up around 6GB.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Your laptop is supposed to have a 32GB SSD so unless you reinstalled windows to the 500GB HDD it should be on that SSD.

No, haven't touched the Windows install location... This was the display laptop at my local store (last one left), so maybe they did it.

It's for system cache use only and the drive is not accessible. 

But..

Is someone wrong?

I don't think cache is displayed in the task manager, but it will display all disk drives that are set up.  If the drive setup has not been changed then that drive is for system cache as noted by the manufacturer.

-snip-

Disregard my last post, the 32GB SSD is used for cache only and cannot be used as a normal drive. The mSATA SSD has it's own connection however the laptop is designed to use it as cache, although it may become a normal drive if you reinstall window 10 but I'm not 100% sure.

Guess its a cache then. Thanks for your help!