How to ship my Rig (Moving from UK to USA)

Go to solution Solved by wolfsbane3083,

Box it in the case box and then buy/build a wooden crate to put it in with a least 3 inches of foam/peanuts between the box and crate. Put this way up labels so that the gpu is up and the mobo is on the bottom. If you want to make doubly sure it stays the right way up (everyone ignores up arrows) strap it to a slightly larger pallet. And finally, shipping insurance. It's gonna cost a bomb but at least you'll be covered.

I know this sounds overkill but believe me, shipping is a lot rougher than anyone who hasn't work in the industry can imagine.

Hey guys,

So in the coming months, my wife and I are moving from London, England to Austin, Texas.

While super excited about the move (hurrah for relatively cheaper tech!), I'm more than mildly concerned about the shipping of my current rig.

You can see the pictures of the internals over in the link in my sig, but the crux of it is as such:

• Corsair Air 540 Case

• Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler

• MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr GPU

• x1 WD Green drive, x1 WD Black drive

• x1 Intel 535 SSD, x1 Samsung EVO 850 SSD

My two main thoughts at the moment are to either send this rig over in pieces (I've most of the original components boxes), or to pack the chasis with cardboard and non-conductive padding, and ship it over as is (with the HDDs in some sort of shock proof box separately).

Like I said, I'm at a loss here, and any advice would be amazing!

Cheers all,

Justin

Media Producer & PC Enthusiast

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

Ummm stuff is cheaper here, good luck with that.

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

I say pluck out the HDDs and GPU pack that in something padded, the rest of the computer should be fine as is.

Box it in the case box and then buy/build a wooden crate to put it in with a least 3 inches of foam/peanuts between the box and crate. Put this way up labels so that the gpu is up and the mobo is on the bottom. If you want to make doubly sure it stays the right way up (everyone ignores up arrows) strap it to a slightly larger pallet. And finally, shipping insurance. It's gonna cost a bomb but at least you'll be covered.

I know this sounds overkill but believe me, shipping is a lot rougher than anyone who hasn't work in the industry can imagine.

Styrofoam padding inside.

Spoiler

[CPU] - Intel Core i5-4590  

[Motherboard] - MSI B85-G43 GAMING 

[RAM] - Kingston HyperX Beast (2x4GB) 1866Mhz... CPU only supports 1600Mhz

[SSD] - A-Data SP600 128GB SSD

[HDD]- 1Tb Seagate Barracuda

[GPU] - EVGA GTX 1060 6GB SSC

[Case] - Corsair SPEC-03 White 

[PSU] - Rosewill 450W 80+Bronze

Hey guys,

So in the coming months, my wife and I are moving from London, England to Austin, Texas.

While super excited about the move (hurrah for relatively cheaper tech!), I'm more than mildly concerned about the shipping of my current rig.

You can see the pictures of the internals over in the link in my sig, but the crux of it is as such:

• Corsair Air 540 Case

• Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler

• MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr GPU

• x1 WD Green drive, x1 WD Black drive

• x1 Intel 535 SSD, x1 Samsung EVO 850 SSD

My two main thoughts at the moment are to either send this rig over in pieces (I've most of the original components boxes), or to pack the chasis with cardboard and non-conductive padding, and ship it over as is (with the HDDs in some sort of shock proof box separately).

Like I said, I'm at a loss here, and any advice would be amazing!

Cheers all,

Justin

Tall air coolers, GPUs and HDDs are the three things you will want to take out and pack separately. (I know only two apply, but for reference,,,) 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

If you want the best protection I'd consider building a crate around the cardboard Corsair box, or at least a exo style one to protect the corners from getting crushed.  I ship a lot of high-dollar automotive computer components for my work and IMO it's worth the time and recycling shipping pallets provides free wood.

This guy knows what he's talking about.