What all does the LAN connector do?

Sorry, I'm new to this whole computer building thing.  My mobo's ethernet connector is labeled LAN connector.  Is that port also for ethernet internet connection?

Sorry, I'm new to this whole computer building thing.  My mobo's ethernet connector is labeled LAN connector.  Is that port also for ethernet internet connection?

that is exactly what it's for

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

that is exactly what it's for

I know I sound stupid, but I had a brief panic that I would have to go over budget.  My friend and I are doing a budget build competition with a $100 bet at stake.  If I had to buy a card for internet I was going to lose for sure by going over budget.

Ethernet is the name of the connector, LAN stands for local area network (not something you asked but wlan is wireless ram). lan is a local network kind of like a mini internet. Lan get connected to internet so any thing on the lan has internet.

If I use words like probably or most likely, it is because I dislike certainty. These words can probably be omitted and the sentence read as a certainty.

Ethernet is the name of the connector, LAN stands for local area network (not something you asked but wlan is wireless ram). lan is a local network kind of like a mini internet. Lan get connected to internet so any thing on the lan has internet.

I want wireless ram.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

LAN stands for Local Area Network. If you are hooked up to a LAN with an internet gateway like a modem, then you have an internet connection through the LAN.

LAN stands for Local Area Network. If you are hooked up to a LAN with an internet gateway like a modem, then you have an internet connection through the LAN.

or in civilized countrys you could get a direct connection to internet

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

or in civilized countrys you could get a direct connection to internet

Well, I'm sorry, I only live in sodding America. We only have shitty sociopathic ISPs like Comcast and Time Warner and Verizon and AT&T screwing us over every day of the week... We can't get direct connections to the internet... we're not allowed.

Well, I'm sorry, I only live in sodding America. We only have shitty sociopathic ISPs like Comcast and Time Warner and Verizon and AT&T screwing us over every day of the week... We can't get direct connections to the internet... we're not allowed.

yes, that's what I've heard

you should really consider moving to Europe

I know what LAN means, I just didn't know the exact function of the port

yes, that's what I've heard

you should really consider moving to Europe

Japan's where I'm headed, but Europe has awesome internet too :D

I've heard sweden has gigabit internet....for. Fucking. Free.

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I've heard sweden has gigabit internet....for. Fucking. Free.

Estonia has it as standard.

AS STANDARD.

ESTONIA.

Fuck this country... I hate america sooooooo much...

Estonia has it as standard.

AS STANDARD.

ESTONIA.

Fuck this country... I hate america sooooooo much...

Banned from freedom.

Spoiler

Banned from freedom.

Implying it existed in the first place :P

'Murica. I should be able to tear down my house and build another one if I so choose, but I'm not allowed, even though I may OWN the property outright...

It's called freedom theater. I want fast internet and a basement to live in. I want to live in the backroom of a small store in Akihabara.

Yeah don't go to germany if you want good internet. Sweden or something i guess has good internet :D. Even my grandparents in finnland have 100/100 in some small town in the middle of nowhere

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

Yeah don't go to germany if you want good internet. Sweden or something i guess has good internet :D. Even my grandparents in finnland have 100/100 in some small town in the middle of nowhere

The people I stayed with in Japan - a house with one computer that was last used 6 years ago and two elderly people who never use computers or the internet anyway - Go up to the room after a day in Akihabara, hook up an ethernet cable to the router, turn PC on, do an internet test.

200 down, 70 up.

THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW.

The people I stayed with in Japan - a house with one computer that was last used 6 years ago and two elderly people who never use computers or the internet anyway - Go up to the room after a day in Akihabara, hook up an ethernet cable to the router, turn PC on, do an internet test.

200 down, 70 up.

THEY DON'T EVEN KNOW.

Just chillin here with 16/1 ya know. Yeah my grandparents have one 3 year old laptop as only computer in the house and have 100/100. I guess that's enough for skype 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG