Issues with 5-way optimization - 6600k

Go to solution Solved by Fattigstudent,

It's supposed to do this. The way the automatic overclock works is by stressing your CPU to determine if the overclock is applied correctly, which is why you'll see a 100% utilization after rebooting. It's also supposed to reboot 3-4 times during this process. If you get a BSOD, that is also completely normal, it just means that the attempted overclock has failed, in which case your system will reboot step down the overclock slightly.

Honestly, the program (AI suite) tells you all of this before it starts, if you would just read all the warning messages and information this wouldn't be a problem.

I've used the automatic overclock myself on my 6600k, which easily got to 4.7ghz, without any issues, with the same motherboard, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I thought the test was supposed to run for about 15 secs per restart, it was this unresponsive for about 30 minutes :/ did that happen to you as well? maybe i'm too eager?

Auto overclocking is never worth it. No program can do it well enough. Even with a 1 ghz oc, you might not be able to notice a difference, especially if you play on a 60 hz monitor

The good ol' fashion way is the only way :P

AISuite is trash, seriously, and this is coming from someone with 4 ASUS boards actively being used, all with OC's.

Asus Software is buggy. Deinstall that crap, and overclock by yourself...

Quite honestly thinking about that (manually clocking that is) just need to do some research i guess :)

I also have a 6600k and got 4.4Ghz without any problems. For the things I am doing i could see noticable improvements.

- Audio, Photo and Video-Editing

- Gaming (higher fps in CPU bound games)

I would recommend you to OC somewhere near 4.4 where you shouldn't have to increase voltages very much and keep controllable temps.

I e.g. keep my CPU under 65°C @4.4 Ghz under full load, air cooling it with a rather weak cooler.

Those are some promising results!

Bought and built a new computer this holiday season, just now had the time to try overclocking my CPU.

The specs are:

----------------------------------------------

I5 - 6600k with hyper 212 evo.

16bg ddr4 hyper x 2133mhz

Asus z170a

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 750W PSU

MSI r9 390x

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5

Used the 5-way optimization to try and overclock. the settings are as follows: http://imgur.com/a/1Hd2f

The 5 way optimization starts just fine and then restarts my computer, once the computer is rebooted into windows i run in to problems.

The whole computer is running super slow, nothing can be opened (programs, start), opened task manager after 5 minutes of loading and found that CPU is running at 100% and can't even reboot using windows, has to press the power button.

After reboot into windows again still slow, i have to boot into BIOS and change to default settings (see picture). http://imgur.com/KACyigW

Once i restart with default settings and boot up Asus AI3 i get this screen. http://imgur.com/wPZzd3P

I know that ya'll will probably laugh about even using 5 way optimization, but does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

Thankful for any tips and tricks.

AISuite commonly has issues, bug and the sorts, my advice is to stay away from it, you even need a clean uninstall utility to remove it from yours system, cause the default uninstaller leaves a service or 2 running.

You'll see alot of people on the internet having various issues and sometimes BSODS.

System specs
  • Graphics card: Asus GTX 980 Ti (Temp target: 60c, fan speed: slow as hell)
  • CPU: Intel 6700k @ 4.2Ghz
  • CPU Heatsink: ThermalRight Silver Arrow Extreme
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus Viii Gene
  • Ram: 8GB of DDR4 @ 3000Mhz
  • Headphone source: O2 + Odac 
  • Mic input: Creative X-Fi Titanium HD
  • Case: Fractal Design Arc midi R2
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB 
  • Storage: Seagate SSHD 2TB
  • PSU: Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 550w

Peripherals

• Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q
  • Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma (16.5 inch/360)
  • Mouse surface: Mionix Sargas 900
  • Tablet: Wacom Intuos Pen
  • Keyboard: Filco Majestouch Ninja, MX Brown, Ten Keyless 
  • Headphones: AKG K7xx
  • IEMs: BrainWavs S1

AISuite commonly has issues, bug and the sorts, my advice is to stay away from it, you even need a clean uninstall utility to remove it from yours system, cause the default uninstaller leaves a service or 2 running.

You'll see alot of people on the internet having various issues and sometimes BSODS.

Thought so, guessing the way to go in manually? :P

Automatic overclocking usually puts to more voltage than needed. Manual is the best, but may take time loads of time, so don't rush it and make it right.

I haven't encountered something like this with AI suite, but IMO it's only good for controlling fans, etc.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Automatic overclocking usually puts to more voltage than needed. Manual is the best, but may take time loads of time, so don't rush it and make it right.

I haven't encountered something like this with AI suite, but IMO it's only good for controlling fans, etc.

The two times I've used Asus' auto overclocking stuff, it's used too little voltage somewhere on both counts.

System specs

Peripherals

I don't really even bother overclocking modern Intel stuff, the gains a smaller than they used to be. For instance, the 4790k came in at 4.4GHz stock, and most people got it to 4.6-4.7GHz on average.

By comparision, I got my old q8300 to 2.8 from 2.5 stock with little effort.

Alot of AAA games don't even see that much gain from a CPU overclock anyway, so that 10% cpu overclock turns into like 2.5% actual fps gain. On top of that CPU overclocks mean more power usage, heat and noise (albiet not much in alot of case) and things can still crash even though you thought everything was stable (I got a CPU prime 95 24 hour stable, only to crash 40 minutes into rendering a video)

My stance on GPU overclocking is completely opposite though, GPU overclocking is hard to fuck up and very predictable, you can do a quick and dirty overclock in 10-15 minutes and be fairly certain nothing will fuck up, but at the same time, you almost get 1:1 fps gains with clock speed.

Just my person views on stuff at least.

System specs

Peripherals

I don't really even bother overclocking modern Intel stuff, the gains a smaller than they used to be. For instance, the 4790k came in at 4.4GHz stock, and most people got it to 4.6-4.7GHz on average.

By comparision, I got my old q8300 to 2.8 from 2.5 stock with little effort.

Alot of AAA games don't even see that much gain from a CPU overclock anyway, so that 10% cpu overclock turns into like 2.5% actual fps gain. On top of that CPU overclocks mean more power usage, heat and noise (albiet not much in alot of case) and things can still crash even though you thought everything was stable (I got a CPU prime 95 24 hour stable, only to crash 40 minutes into rendering a video)

My stance on GPU overclocking is completely opposite though, GPU overclocking is hard to fuck up and very predictable, you can do a quick and dirty overclock in 10-15 minutes and be fairly certain nothing will fuck up, but at the same time, you almost get 1:1 fps gains with clock speed.

Just my person views on stuff at least.

My base clock is 3.5ghz, heard of people getting 4.6 - 4.8 overclocking, im thinking that this must be getting me a bit better performance. Ima call asus today and if this does not pan out i guess ill try it the good 'ol fashion way.

The two times I've used Asus' auto overclocking stuff, it's used too little voltage somewhere on both counts.

I had that issue at 4.6Ghz, my CPU needed 1.45, but it applied 1.37 or so.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb

My base clock is 3.5ghz, heard of people getting 4.6 - 4.8 overclocking, im thinking that this must be getting me a bit better performance. Ima call asus today and if this does not pan out i guess ill try it the good 'ol fashion way.

You'd have to wait for some time for those frequencies giving actual gains, that you can see.

I also have a 6600k and got 4.4Ghz without any problems. For the things I am doing i could see noticable improvements.

I would recommend you to OC somewhere near 4.4 where you shouldn't have to increase voltages very much and keep controllable temps.

I e.g. keep my CPU under 65°C @4.4 Ghz under full load, air cooling it with a rather weak cooler.

UI/UX Designer
CPU:
Intel i5 6600k @ 4.4GHz, Noctua NH D-15, GPU: MSI GTX 970, RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4, MoBo: AsRock Z170 extreme4 ATX, Storage: 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 128GB Toshiba M.2 SSD + 1TB WD Blue, PSU: Antec 650W, Fractal Design Define S

Bought and built a new computer this holiday season, just now had the time to try overclocking my CPU.

The specs are:

I5 - 6600k with hyper 212 evo.

16bg ddr4 hyper x 2133mhz

Asus z170a

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, 750W PSU

MSI r9 390x

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5

Used the 5-way optimization to try and overclock. the settings are as follows: http://imgur.com/a/1Hd2f

The 5 way optimization starts just fine and then restarts my computer, once the computer is rebooted into windows i run in to problems.

The whole computer is running super slow, nothing can be opened (programs, start), opened task manager after 5 minutes of loading and found that CPU is running at 100% and can't even reboot using windows, has to press the power button.

After reboot into windows again still slow, i have to boot into BIOS and change to default settings (see picture). http://imgur.com/KACyigW

Once i restart with default settings and boot up Asus AI3 i get this screen. http://imgur.com/wPZzd3P

I know that ya'll will probably laugh about even using 5 way optimization, but does anyone have any ideas as to why this happens?

Thankful for any tips and tricks.

It's supposed to do this. The way the automatic overclock works is by stressing your CPU to determine if the overclock is applied correctly, which is why you'll see a 100% utilization after rebooting. It's also supposed to reboot 3-4 times during this process. If you get a BSOD, that is also completely normal, it just means that the attempted overclock has failed, in which case your system will reboot step down the overclock slightly.

Honestly, the program (AI suite) tells you all of this before it starts, if you would just read all the warning messages and information this wouldn't be a problem.

I've used the automatic overclock myself on my 6600k, which easily got to 4.7ghz, without any issues, with the same motherboard, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Auto overclocking is never worth it. No program can do it well enough. Even with a 1 ghz oc, you might not be able to notice a difference, especially if you play on a 60 hz monitor

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

AISuite is trash, seriously, and this is coming from someone with 4 ASUS boards actively being used, all with OC's.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

I thought the test was supposed to run for about 15 secs per restart, it was this unresponsive for about 30 minutes :/ did that happen to you as well? maybe i'm too eager?

Asus Software is buggy. Deinstall that crap, and overclock by yourself...

Quite honestly thinking about that (manually clocking that is) just need to do some research i guess :)

Those are some promising results!

Oh, if it's unresponsive for that long, then something probably went wrong - sorry. In my case it would take a few minutes, then AI suite would start back up with a visual indicator of the stress testing. Have you tried the in-BIOS automatic overclock instead?

Oh, if it's unresponsive for that long, then something probably went wrong - sorry. In my case it would take a few minutes, then AI suite would start back up with a visual indicator of the stress testing. Have you tried the in-BIOS automatic overclock instead?

I did not even know about it! Lemme investigate!

I did not even know about it! Lemme investigate!

It's called EZ Tuning or something, you should be able to find a button for it quite easily.