[WIP] Window for Silverstone Sugo SG09

Dovin

This is the first time I have the money, time and tools to do some custom modification to my computer. I wanted to do something that, to my knowledge and google skills, no one have done before. I've seen a SG09 that had a small window on the top side window and never the whole side. 

So I'm calling this a WIP because I need to put some u-channel around the edges to make it look better. I have to acquire it first though, so I will check some local shops in the next few days and will update this post when i have done it.

The only camera I have access to is about 3-4 years old, so the quality is not the best and my camera skills are rusty as well. The pictures of the case with the window was taken at night, so it was somewhat dark. When I have finished I will take the shots in daylight so it looks better. 

There is a lack of progress pictures because I was ashamed of my work and I didn't want to advertise it too much.

Now, why did I get the SG09? In two weeks I'm going to England, from Norway, to get my masters degree. It is in 3D rendering, that's not the title, but it involves a lot of photo realistic rendering. So I wanted to upgrade to a 3930k from a 2500k. So I had to get a new motherboard. So I thought I might make myself a SFF pc since I would have to bring it with me on a plane. The SG09 takes less then half the space of a suitcase, so it will be easy to more around. 

Why was I stupid enough to make a window in my case? As I said this is the first time I have had money and time to do something like this. So naturally I wanted to make something that would look beautiful, something people would look at and this: " Wow, why can't I make something like that".

So why did you do such a piss poor job? This was my first time, I think it will look much better when I get the U-channel on it and when it gets full of hardware it will look even better. What contributed most to the bad looks was bad planning and lack of experience. 

Putting pictures in a spoiler, they might be a little big, sorry if it fucks your browser up.

[spoiler=WIP 03.09]

This is a rough idea of the size I wanted the window to be.

post-2678-0-39497600-1378176863.jpg

post-2678-0-45120000-1378176893.jpg

Now this is a picture of my first cut, the jigsaw pulled to the right, I only discovered this after I made the bad cut. I'm using a square to show how bad it acutely was. I did make a new cut closer to the edge afterwards.

post-2678-0-77115900-1378176917.jpg

Finished cutting the lower side panel.

post-2678-0-64857800-1378177010.jpg

This is how it looks now, with the window. As you can see I need to put a U-channel on the edges. I did create some problems for myself. There is only about 6-7 mm of spaces at the back to attach the window, this is something that happened because I had to redo my first cut. I did not cover the whole side with glass, simply because I wanted the PSU to exhaust out of the case and not in it. I also left about 10 cm of the overlapping metal, where you would screw the upper and lower side panels together, where you can see the white piece in the picture below. It is double sided tape that's going to hold the two side panels together when I'm finishing the build. The window Is attached to the lower side panel and will be attached to the upper side panel when I'm ready to finish the build. It will be a rather permanent solution, but I won't open it too often. I will be able to open it, but then I would probably need to add new double sided tape again.

post-2678-0-15051900-1378177049.jpg

post-2678-0-18917000-1378177067.jpg

post-2678-0-68381800-1378177086.jpg

post-2678-0-91207500-1378177106.jpg

post-2678-0-99098000-1378177126.jpg

post-2678-0-87726400-1378177146.jpg

post-2678-0-96438800-1378177165.jpg

post-2678-0-89611500-1378177184.jpg

Not sure how I'm going to cover up the bottom part of the lower side panel, where you can see the punch out for the fans, but I have some ideas.

Now I know you probably want to criticize my work, but you can save it, I already know it :\

Lastly I'm terribly sorry if my English is appalling to read, writing is the weakest form of my English skills.

Have a nice day.

-Dovin

• 4 months later...

Hey, have you finished the mod yet?

And just a question, will you gpu(s) be a bit air deprived? (Since there's now no more side vent)

Looks pretty ok for first time btw

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Hey, have you finished the mod yet?

And just a question, will you gpu(s) be a bit air deprived? (Since there's now no more side vent)

Looks pretty ok for first time btw

Sorry for the late reply, I haven't had the time to browse forums lately. I finished the build some time ago link: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/68745-uni-render-box-sugo-sg09/ If you look through my pictures you can see I made some vent holes at the front so that it can exhaust some of the air out the front and not recycle too much of the hot air. When I'm running it on full I usually put the top fan on High so that the GPU gets more air. When on max load (folding or rendering) it will be at around 90 degrees, which to me is perfectly acceptable, if I turn the top fan to high it will lower it a few degrees.