Do 3.5 inch SSD's exist?

MeDownYou

So We have two standard form factors 2.5in and 3.5in but I was thinking, "hey wouldn't it be cool if you could get an ssd that was 3.5in; it might be as large as a mechanical drive, but it could be either cheaper to produce because they could use more of the cheaper chips or could have massive capacity" Then i thought about it...I can't think of any SSD's that fit this bill and really wonder...why not? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

Not much point. The components for SSDs are small, so there's not really a need for large enclosures for them. 

EDIT: And a lot of companies are obsessed with making things as thin as possible. 

No also there are adapters if you need it.

Well, yes there are adapters...but I am referring to actual drives.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Not much point. The components for SSDs are small, so there's not really a need for large enclosures for them. 

EDIT: And a lot of companies are obsessed with making things as thin as possible. 

They don't even take much of the 2.5" enclosure itself!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

My dad has a very old OCZ SSD that is 3.5", but it's not as thick as an HDD. No, not a 2.5" SSD in an enclosure, a 3.5" SSD.

I used to be quite active here.

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you fit twice or more the amount of lower end chips in a larger form factor? Sure the I/o would be the same but it would yield more space right? 

I mean I've never seen the inside of an ssd to see how much space is taken up, but maybe there is a limit that I'm missing?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

My dad has a very old OCZ SSD that is 3.5", but it's not as thick as an HDD. No, not a 2.5" SSD in an enclosure, a 3.5" SSD.

The OCZ bigfoot right?

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

They don't even take much of the 2.5" enclosure itself!

Oh...they don't interesting

The Vinyl Decal guy.

3d nand barely (and by barely i mean it takes up like 20% of the total height of the drive) hits the top of a 2.5inch drive enclosure. when we figure out how to stack more storage, then these might exist. (probably not though)

Maybe I'm missing something, but couldn't you fit twice or more the amount of lower end chips in a larger form factor? Sure the I/o would be the same but it would yield more space right? 

I mean I've never seen the inside of an ssd to see how much space is taken up, but maybe there is a limit that I'm missing?

There's plenty of room for more components inside SSDs. You could put lower end chips on larger PCBs, but the speeds would decrease, and it's not necessarily cheaper to produce. 

With Samsung progressing in 3D NAND, larger drives (physically) aren't needed. 

If anything, slightly thicker 2.5" drives could help with NAND stacking. But in a normal 2.5" enclosure (I think. It may be thicker), Samsung are already managing to fit 16TB of storage. 

The OCZ bigfoot right?

I could go get it, but it's inside of his computer.

I used to be quite active here.

6861_13_samsung_850_evo_250gb_3d_v_nand_

250GB 850 EVO

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

3d nand barely (and by barely i mean it takes up like 20% of the total height of the drive) hits the top of a 2.5inch drive enclosure. when we figure out how to stack more storage, then these might exist. (probably not though)

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like we may be seeing slightly thicker drives with 3D stacked NAND. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/212203-samsung-unveils-massive-16tb-ssd-built-with-new-3d-nand

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like we may be seeing slightly thicker drives with 3D stacked NAND. 

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/212203-samsung-unveils-massive-16tb-ssd-built-with-new-3d-nand

well we still arent even close to filling a 2.5 inch enclosure so either way MOAR STORAGE!!!

There's a tech news thread right now about a 10 and 13 TB 2.5" SSD though they are thicker than normal.

That said you can't just "fill it with lower end memory" because nobody makes the lower end stuff anymore. It's like how DDR2 prices have gone up, sure it was stupid cheap for a bit after DDR3 came out but now nobody makes it anymore.

well we still arent even close to filling a 2.5 inch enclosure so either way MOAR STORAGE!!!

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a new form factor instead, as the space requirements become more for height than length and width. Like, a 1.5" cube or something. 

Well i actually checked and there a couple ones who exist but they are severely overpriced.

Were talking 2 dollars per GB up to 18 $ per gb its not because its good its just redudant technology so they cant sell them.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see a new form factor instead, as the space requirements become more for height than length and width. Like, a 1.5" cube or something. 

yeah, but setting a new standard is hard, and i think is really unnecessary for a long time 

we are

New_Samsung_XS1715_SSD_Main_photo.jpg

Pic of internals ples?

There's a tech news thread right now about a 10 and 13 TB 2.5" SSD though they are thicker than normal.

That said you can't just "fill it with lower end memory" because nobody makes the lower end stuff anymore. It's like how DDR2 prices have gone up, sure it was stupid cheap for a bit after DDR3 came out but now nobody makes it anymore.

samsung PM1725 is love samsung PM1725 is life...

6.4 TB at 6GB/s :)