New Laptop

Maodun_Kross

All,

I am in the market for a new laptop. Think along the lines of a desktop replacement that can play games, watch movies and music mixing/dubbing/recording. I have a solid budget to work with, looking at 8k or so fully setup with all the bells and whistles that go with it. Prefer something that does not require an external box with GPU inside.

Any suggestions here would be appreciated.

Thanks

$8000 for a laptop?

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Check out all the laptops with desktop 980s inside from ASUS, MSI, AORUS...

Man, are they beautiful

Leave a like if you breathed oxygen today

$8000 for a laptop?

He's rich probably

Why do you have "contradiction" as your name and profile picture?

All,

I am in the market for a new laptop. Think along the lines of a desktop replacement that can play games, watch movies and music mixing/dubbing/recording. I have a solid budget to work with, looking at 8k or so fully setup with all the bells and whistles that go with it. Prefer something that does not require an external box with GPU inside.

Thanks

Holy Sh!t. 8K? $4000 is more than enough for those needs. 

MSI: http://www.amazon.com/MSI-18-4-Inch-GT80-TITAN-SLI-263/dp/B00YPAVIX4/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452681959&sr=1-1&keywords=MSI+GT80

Your requirement falls within like $3k to $4k.

$8k is overkill.

Get this.

Or this

http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM090006013/A18486

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Get Lenovo Thinkpad p70

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

https://www.originpc.com/gaming/desktops/genesis/

Screw laptops, you should be getting this.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

8k may sound like a lot, and I am sure that it is. But my wife and I decided that we wanted to make sure we budgeted enough to get everything that he would need for this machine, this will also include any service plans and additional software etc.

And yes it says contradiction.

8k may sound like a lot, and I am sure that it is. But my wife and I decided that we wanted to make sure we budgeted enough to get everything that he would need for this machine, this will also include any service plans and additional software etc.

And yes it says contradiction.

Okay then

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP9870-S.html

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

You can get a laptop thats watercooled for that money with a desktop 980 in it.

I don't get why you would want a laptop when you can get a desktop thats much much more powerful than any laptop.

If I where you I would use 2k max on the laptop and get a desktop for 2-4k.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

You can get a laptop thats watercooled for that money with a desktop 980 in it.

I don't get why you would want a laptop when you can get a desktop thats much much more powerful than any laptop.

If I where you I would use 2k max on the laptop and get a desktop for 2-4k.

desktop does not work. Limited living space and mobility requirements.

I apologize for listing the budget that we had settled on I did not realize that it would be such an issue. My wife and I looked at several high end laptops and decided that we would double the total cost. We wanted to make sure we covered sales tax, multi-year service plans, accessories, additional software etc. etc etc.

I realize that 8k is more than enough to cover this, we just wanted to give ourselves enough of a budget to where we would not have to compromise on anything for the purchase

desktop does not work. Limited living space and mobility requirements.

I apologize for listing the budget that we had settled on I did not realize that it would be such an issue. My wife and I looked at several high end laptops and decided that we would double the total cost. We wanted to make sure we covered sales tax, multi-year service plans, accessories, additional software etc. etc etc.

I realize that 8k is more than enough to cover this, we just wanted to give ourselves enough of a budget to where we would not have to compromise on anything for the purchase

Well you can get a beast of a All in one, just look through linus new videos, but you can make a really small desktop. 

A laptop has a little screen and it will get really hot and not that great of a keyboard so yeah there's that.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

We have been talking to my son about some of the things pointed out here. One question that has come up is "up time". Are there issues with a laptop if it is left on for extended periods of time? Unsure why this would be done as it does not make sense to me for a laptop...

So what is the downside or issues with leaving a laptop running like you would a typical desktop?

Thanks

We have been talking to my son about some of the things pointed out here. One question that has come up is "up time". Are there issues with a laptop if it is left on for extended periods of time? Unsure why this would be done as it does not make sense to me for a laptop...

So what is the downside or issues with leaving a laptop running like you would a typical desktop?

Thanks

The battery killing itself?

Thanks

The hardware will get worn down faster, runs alot hotter, It's not made to run for 6hours+ like you can make a desktop do and the battery will be so bad after a short time. You will have to invest in some kind of stand that can lift the laptop a bit up. The laptop will be louder, your cpu and gpu will not be even close to what you can get in a desktop for the same money. A laptop is a really really bad idea just all around. You can gek full desktop class systems in screens now or you can build a mini-ITX system.

The battery killing itself?

why can't you take a 5820k and a 980ti since the 6700k and the 5820k are the same price?

why can't you take a 5820k and a 980ti since the 6700k and the 5820k are the same price?

The tech prices in Singapore are fucked to the core. Skylake Haswell-E is actually more expensive here from local stores.

(my mistake lel)

The tech prices in Singapore are fucked to the core. Skylake is actually more expensive here from local stores.

well if you are only going to game get a 980 ti and 6700k, but if you are going to game and edit get the 5820k and a fury or 980, the fury is better at 1440p and 4k and the 980 is sometimes alittle better than a fury in 1080p.

All,

Thanks

id check the nw one from aurous with the gtx 980 desktop in it and g sync

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply