I want a mechanical keyboard, but none of the popular cherry MX keyboards seem very good

iamdarkyoshi

I am open to suggestions, but I really kinda like the IBM Model M (never have used one though), but it is arguably one of the best keyboards to ever exist. However, I use the windows key quite a bit, and the Model M does not have them. 

Are there any popular keyboards out there with the same feel as the buckling springs used in the Model M keyboard?

200px-Bucklingspring-animation-300ms.gif

I also kinda really want red backlighting.

Do you guys know of anything that will not break the bank? I do not need any special macros or lighting effects, just a standard layout with hopefully red backlighting and buckling spring keyswitches.

Cherry MX Greens were meant to replicate the feel of buckling springs, but if you want the actual thing you're pretty much stuck with the model m :P

I quite like cooler master, very good build quality (owned a bunch of their kb's with much happiness!) http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00EM7L600/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452577556&sr=8-2&keywords=cherry+mx+green

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Cherry MX Greens were meant to replicate the feel of buckling springs, but if you want the actual thing you're pretty much stuck with the model m :P

I quite like cooler master, very good build quality (owned a bunch of their kb's with much happiness!) http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-QuickFire-TK-Mechanical/dp/B00EM7L600/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1452577556&sr=8-2&keywords=cherry+mx+green

I thought the MX greens were just a blue with a stiffer spring... 

I thought the MX greens were just a blue with a stiffer spring... 

yes, so that they have very hard actuation force just like the original buckling springs

they're your only option unless you want a model m (btw they're by far my favorite switch, Im so depressed now that I have clear :( )

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

A buckling spring keyboard with a Windows key - http://www.pckeyboard.com/page/product/UNI0P4A

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

You could try and find a keyboard with alps. I think some of the boards on mass drop occasionally have an option for white alps. Still not the same as buckling spring but they feel way nicer then well blues(I haven't really used greens).

Also I don't know what you are talking about with popularity. It shouldn't make a difference. Maybe a 'not' popular keyboard doesn't have a gamer swag case and legends.

Windows 10 likes to spy on you. Protect your Data! Run GNU/Linux!
That One Privacy Guy's VPN Comparison Chart.

Spoiler
Spoiler

|ARCH LINUX| |CPU i5 4690k @ 4.7GHz| |GPU: Asus Strix 390x| |Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mk 2| |RAM: Corsair Veangence Pro 16gb (2x8gb) @2133mhz| |CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i| |PSU: 750w EVGA Supernova 80+ Gold| |Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX(Silver)| |K/B: Pok3r w/ Cherry MX Blues|

Spoiler

|Samsung 250GB 840 EVO: Arch Linux installation.| |Seagate Barracuda 2TB: Mostly Games and stuff related to that. Music and most Media as well.| |Seagate NAS 4TB: Anime and Anime Art-Whoring.| |Seagate 1TB 2.5" SSHD: Arch install on my Thinkpad X220.| |Samsung OEM Lenovo SSD: Windows 8.1 cause I need to play JRPGs some how.|

Spoiler

|Cans: Sennheiser HD 558(Modded)| |Earbuds: Shure SE215| I'm working on expanding this.

You could try and find a keyboard with alps. I think some of the boards on mass drop occasionally have an option for white alps. Still not the same as buckling spring but they feel way nicer then well blues(I haven't really used greens).Also I don't know what you are talking about with popularity. It shouldn't make a difference. Maybe a 'not' popular keyboard doesn't have a gamer swag case and legends.

Popular MX keyswitches is what I meant to say. There are a lot more than reds, blues, and browns, but those three are the most popular and I really do not like them a whole lot