Hey guys! So, anyway, I've been using Ubuntu for the past 2 weeks or so as my daily driver (because Windows won't let me do schoolwork without overheating the laptop every 30 min; explanation here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/491750-laptop-heating-up-at-idle/ )

I am considering deleting Windows altogether and pushing that space to Ubuntu. If I ever need to use Windows, it will be in a VM and that case shouldn't be too frequent (I have a backup laptop with 4GB DDR2 and MSX, so I'm good).

Needless to say, should I take the plunge?

EDIT: Please do NOT start a Linux distro flame war. All of the desktop environments are nice, guys, but you don't have to argue each DE's case; each person has different needs and each DE matches certain peoples.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Linux OSes don't require as much space for the operating system. How much space do you have for your OS?

Ehhh... how's the driver support on your laptop with Ubuntu?

Absolutely perfect, actually... which surprised me initially but yeah.

Linux OSes don't require as much space for the operating system. How much space do you have for your OS?

Well, right now, I have 50GB allocated to Ubuntu and the rest of my 256GB SSD to WIndows. But I can't shrink the MSX partition through GParted, and I can't even get through to Disk Management without freezing. Besides, I'm comfy with Ubuntu.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 HYBRID | 32GB DDR4-3600

Hey guys! So, anyway, I've been using Ubuntu for the past 2 weeks or so as my daily driver (because Windows won't let me do schoolwork without overheating the laptop every 30 min; explanation here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/491750-laptop-heating-up-at-idle/ )

I am considering deleting Windows altogether and pushing that space to Ubuntu. If I ever need to use Windows, it will be in a VM and that case shouldn't be too frequent (I have a backup laptop with 4GB DDR2 and MSX, so I'm good).

Needless to say, should I take the plunge?

If you can't use Windows and have another Windows PC, then yeah why not. OpenOffice gets the job done.

Ehhh... how's the driver support on your laptop with Ubuntu?

Probably fine, assuming his schoolwork isn't particularly GPU intensive. Even so, it's not like a laptop's packing much heat

Almost as cool as my temps  

Absolutely perfect, actually... which surprised me initially but yeah.

Well, right now, I have 50GB allocated to Ubuntu and the rest of my 256GB SSD to WIndows. But I can't shrink the MSX partition through GParted, and I can't even get through to Disk Management without freezing. Besides, I'm comfy with Ubuntu.

I'd say it's up to you. If you were to ask me personally, I use too many Windows-exclusive programs to switch permanently to Ubuntu. But if you're comfortable with using Ubuntu only, then I'd do so.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

You should be able to delete the partition and then extend your Ubuntu partition into the empty space

Push it all aside.

Install Xubuntu, or Lubuntu.

You'll be more use to those OSes.

You should be able to delete the partition and then extend your Ubuntu partition into the empty space

That's my plan. My original plan was to allocate just some extra space to Ubuntu, and leave MSX as-is, but since NTFS is so goddamn picky, I don't have a choice

I'd say it's up to you. If you were to ask me personally, I use too many Windows-exclusive programs to switch permanently to Ubuntu. But if you're comfortable with using Ubuntu only, then I'd do so.

Well, I'm not THAT Windows-dependent, so I guess I'm covered.

Push it all aside.

Install Xubuntu, or Lubuntu.

You'll be more use to those OSes.

I'll be more use to them, or they'll be more use to me?

Although LXDE and Xfce are nice, I enjoy Unity. It actually lets me use my media keys with media players. KDE is a close second tho.

Although LXDE and Xfce are nice, I enjoy Unity. It actually lets me use my media keys with media players. KDE is a close second tho.

You my friend, are about to go down a VERY, VERY rocky road.

post-217715-0-71791400-1452554995.jpeg

I think he meant you'll find the UI more familiar as a Windows user.

You can switch betwen desktop environments just by logging out once you have them installed mind you.

Do it. I did for my laptop and I have no complaints.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

You my friend, are about to go down a VERY, VERY rocky road.

attachicon.gifbrace yourself.jpeg

How so?

You can switch betwen desktop environments just by logging out once you have them installed mind you.

I know that. I had KDE alongside Unity once. But KDE was acting a bit strange (nothing major), which shows that you should just fresh install Kubuntu or whichever *ubuntu suits you the most, instead of multiple DEs

Well, the Windows users completely afraid of ANY DE should just install Zorin. It's Ubuntu-based, uses the same PPAs, and behaves very similarly to MS7.

P.S. Zorin's DE is a customized version of GNOME 2, which explains why you can switch the GNOME 2 look whenever you please.

Off-topic: does anyone know how to upload an image to the forum for posting?

EDIT: I wanna upload some snapshots!

Open Source is a great direction to go in, so I feel I would be going a disservice if were to discourage anyone from using Linux. I personally still dual-boot Linux and Windows for games.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

Open Source is a great direction to go in, so I feel I would be going a disservice if were to discourage anyone from using Linux. I personally still dual-boot Linux and Windows for games.

Well, since I DON'T HAVE A RIG CAPABLE OF THAT(i cri evrytiem), I'm good for now.

P.S. You meant that you feel that you would be commiting a disservice, not going a disservice; just thought it was worth mentioning :D  

Why would you even want to?

To switch, you mean? Even though I LOVE MSX (I'm an Insider and all), you have to read the post I mentioned in the OP. Windows is not liking that situation, so I will be putting it away for now. I never meant that I'd be leaving the Windows ecosystem; I'm just switching completely for some time (a.k.a until I can build myself a good gaming rig).

Why would you even want to?

because Windows won't let me do schoolwork without overheating the laptop every 30 min; explanation here: http://linustechtips...ing-up-at-idle/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

because Windows won't let me do schoolwork without overheating the laptop every 30 min; explanation here: http://linustechtips...ing-up-at-idle/

Thank you!

Well, since I DON'T HAVE A RIG CAPABLE OF THAT(i cri evrytiem), I'm good for now.

P.S. You meant that you feel that you would be commiting a disservice, not going a disservice; just thought it was worth mentioning :D  

Yes, I meant "I would be doing a disservice". I am horrendous at spotting my own typos.

Paragon [ Intel i7 4770k @ 4.2GHz | 16GB @ 1866MHz Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 | ASUS Z87-Pro | Zotac AMP GTX 1080 Ti | Corsair H100i GTX | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD | 2 x Crucial M500 240GB SSDs | Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD | EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G2 | Corsair Carbide 300R ] (Backup Storage: Seagate Expansion 5TB USB3.0 HDD)

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q }

Yes, I meant "I would be doing a disservice". I am horrendous at spotting my own typos.

It's OK. As a studied English speaker (I studied English during middle school), I forgive you

How So?

Canonical is about to release Unity 8. It will be a very rocky road. Unity is going to be the Firefox of the Desktop Environment world.