PC won't boot with r9 270x

jacobcooley797

I built a new rig for a friend today, but when I try to run it with my r9 270x it won't post. My PUS Should provide enough power (650 watts). When I tried to boot the PC with my old GTX 645 (crappy OEM card) it Posted fine. Do you think it is a dead card? Is there any way to easily check?

NOTE: R9 270x fans do work and the card does get warm.

I built a new rig for a friend today, but when I try to run it with my r9 270x it won't post. My PUS Should provide enough power (650 watts). When I tried to boot the PC with my old GTX 645 (crappy OEM card) it Posted fine. Do you think it is a dead card? Is there any way to easily check?

NOTE: R9 270x fans do work and the card does get warm.

does the card work in another machine? It rather sounds like the card is stuffed ...

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

does the card work in another machine? It rather sounds like the card is stuffed ...

Thats what I'm about to try

The card works fine in my other system (Aside from not having the correct drivers installed)

The card works fine in my other system (Aside from not having the correct drivers installed)

odd, is everything connected properly in your buddy's build? Its odd that it works with the crappy old card but wont work with your card ...

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

odd, is everything connected properly in your buddy's build? Its odd that it works with the crappy old card but wont work with your card ...

Yup, everything is plugged in. Think it might be a bad PSU. Does the card have a high power draw

Yup, everything is plugged in. Think it might be a bad PSU. Does the card have a high power draw

noit hugely big power draw ... and not at boot for sure. Perhaps there is an issue with the power cable from the PSU to the Card?

noit hugely big power draw ... and not at boot for sure. Perhaps there is an issue with the power cable from the PSU to the Card?

I think that might be it, as it is an old power supply. I'm gonna try with my GTX 970 later and see if that works

Here's an update

R9 270x doesn't work in system 1

R9 270x does work in system 2

GTX 970 works in both systems

GTX 645 works in both systems

For some reason the R9 270x doesn't work in system 1, whereas in system 2 I was able to run engine heaven stably on it

Anybody else got any ideas what might be wrong?

Here's an update

R9 270x doesn't work in system 1

R9 270x does work in system 2

GTX 970 works in both systems

GTX 645 works in both systems

For some reason the R9 270x doesn't work in system 1, whereas in system 2 I was able to run engine heaven stably on it

Anybody else got any ideas what might be wrong?

try a different psu, and PCIE slot (Unlikley to work, but iv seen cases of stuff like this in the past)

try a different psu, and PCIE slot (Unlikley to work, but iv seen cases of stuff like this in the past)

Tired a different PSU and it didn't do anything. The motherboard also only has one PCIe slot, because it's a micro-atx motherboard

Tired a different PSU and it didn't do anything. The motherboard also only has one PCIe slot, because it's a micro-atx motherboard

i'm stunned, i have absolutely no clue then.

sorry 

sorry 

Yeah, I might call asus later and see if they can provide any help

sorry 

One thing that I noticed is that the LEDs on my peripherals don't light up with the r9 270x but they do with the other cards 

One thing that I noticed is that the LEDs on my peripherals don't light up with the r9 270x but they do with the other cards 

it must be a power issue for some reason ... but really odd!