Dolby Atmos, the only audio tech of interest?

Go to solution Solved by Deathstroke,

Yeah, you would have thought so.  Perhaps they are waiting to see which technology comes out on top.  I've just read about a third one called Auro3D.

Apparently the soundbar has 2 upfiring speakers included and you get 2 rear upfiring speakers as well.  So 5.1.4 out of the box (if my maths is correct ;-)  And Dolby Atmos built in.  All sound very interesting.  I'll see if I can find where I read about the Sonos-like multi-room feature...

There's lots of tech like this. Just Dolby and DTS being the biggest names and best reputations.

Ya, that makes 5.1.4 but it's the Atmos that makes it 5.1.4 other wise its technically just 5.1 or a sketchy 9.1 if they use all 9 speakers when not using Atmos.

The Sonos-esk tech comes from the fact that they are wireless probably. But will have to see the range.

Up until this year's CES I was dead cert I would be buying a Sonos speaker setup when I get my own house again next year.  Then I heard about Dolby Atmos.

Is this the only new audio technology out there?  Or does Dolby have any competition we need to keep an ear out for?

From a little investigation Samsung's new Dolby Atmos wireless speakers sound like an ideal alternative, the Samsung HW-K950.  If my understanding is correct, it works in a similar way to Sonos where you can add more speakers to the setup have have them in multiple rooms?  All you need is a Dolby Atmos amp.  Are there many of these out yet?

Kol

I'm pretty sure Dolby Atmos is just extra speakers for more realistic spatial sound effects and stuff, not multiroom audio.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Dolby Atmos = 7.1, 7.2, 5.1, 5.2, etc + additional speakers on or heading toward the ceiling to create what is known as 3D sound

Haven't tried one at the theater, and a good setup is quite expensive so I really don't know how good it is

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

Atmos isn't multi-room, but the receiver powering Atmos, could have multi-room features.

Atmos is the new name of their current surround technology and processing. Theoretically 128 tracks of audio. But in home setups Atmos is just a boosted Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus, whichever your receiver has underlying.

KILLING IS HIS BUSINESS...

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

I'm pretty sure Dolby Atmos is just extra speakers for more realistic spatial sound effects and stuff, not multiroom audio.

From what I understand Dolby Atmos is the technology behind the "3D sound" but Samsung's speakers are also wireless and act like Sonos speakers.  So an all-in-one. :-)

Kol

From what I understand Dolby Atmos is the technology behind the "3D sound" but Samsung's speakers are also wireless and act like Sonos speakers.  So an all-in-one. :-)

Oh, cool!

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Atmos isn't multi-room, but the receiver powering Atmos, could have multi-room features.

Atmos is the new name of their current surround technology and processing. Theoretically 128 tracks of audio. But in home setups Atmos is just a boosted Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus, whichever your receiver has underlying.

No, didn't say Dolby Atmos was multi-room. :-)  But I *think* the Samsung speakers are?

Kol

Atmos is more or less taking control of accurate speaker positions and using that to create the most realistic sound environment within it. So technically yes, 3D sound.

Its not the speakers that have anything to do with it though, it's whats telling the speakers to do it. If those Samsung speakers have a good latency and are somehow wirelessly connected to an Atmos receiver, then you'll be set.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Atmos is more or less taking control of accurate speaker positions and using that to create the most realistic sound environment within it. So technically yes, 3D sound.

Its not the speakers that have anything to do with it though, it's whats telling the speakers to do it. If those Samsung speakers have a good latency and are somehow wirelessly connected to an Atmos receiver, then you'll be set.

Well that's what I mean, I think these Samsung speakers do have something to do with it - apparently they have Dolby Atmos built in.  So I'm guessing you won't need a receiver?

The best article I've found so far is this one:

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/audio-systems/samsung-hw-k950-soundbar-with-dolby-atmos-1312785/review

And I see it mentions a DTS technology so it does seem like there is competition.  I'll look into this too.

Kol

Ok, so what I'm getting from this, and a few other articles is that, the soundbar (which I didn't know it was, lol) has a wireless connection to Samsung 360 speakers which is good, probably not multi-room range, and obviously not with Atmos, but IF you have an Atmos receiver, you can use the soundbar as a hub, for Atmos.

The soundbar is 3.1, with 2 wireless speakers for the back, so 5.1 package, but they almost have calibratable bounce in then, so 5.1.4, and if you add more 360 speakers, that can go to whatever, 9.1.5 would really be more than anyone needs at home using these speakers.

If I'm wrong and the soundbar can process the Atmos on it's own, you obviously don't need an Atmos receiver, which is pretty nice. But should keep an eye on how many speakers they let you add, that can benefit from Atmos.

I'm surprised Sonos didn't do something like this sooner with a new variation of speakers for this purpose.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

It must have Atmos processing built into the bar. 

And you'll need specific 360 speakers to take advantage of the ceiling firing speaker in the unit.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Here is a short comparison of DTS:X and Dolby Atmos:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-v8BQFUSwZI6/learn/dts-x-vs-dolby-atmos.html

DTS:X actually sounds more interesting as it let's you put your speakers anywhere you like and the tech works out the rest::

http://www.techhive.com/article/2999543/home-theater/the-next-big-things-in-home-theater-dolby-atmos-and-dtsx-explained.html

Kol

Ok, so what I'm getting from this, and a few other articles is that, the soundbar (which I didn't know it was, lol) has a wireless connection to Samsung 360 speakers which is good, probably not multi-room range, and obviously not with Atmos, but IF you have an Atmos receiver, you can use the soundbar as a hub, for Atmos.

The soundbar is 3.1, with 2 wireless speakers for the back, so 5.1 package, but they almost have calibratable bounce in then, so 5.1.4, and if you add more 360 speakers, that can go to whatever, 9.1.5 would really be more than anyone needs at home using these speakers.

If I'm wrong and the soundbar can process the Atmos on it's own, you obviously don't need an Atmos receiver, which is pretty nice. But should keep an eye on how many speakers they let you add, that can benefit from Atmos.

I'm surprised Sonos didn't do something like this sooner with a new variation of speakers for this purpose.

Yeah, you would have thought so.  Perhaps they are waiting to see which technology comes out on top.  I've just read about a third one called Auro3D.

Apparently the soundbar has 2 upfiring speakers included and you get 2 rear upfiring speakers as well.  So 5.1.4 out of the box (if my maths is correct ;-)  And Dolby Atmos built in.  All sound very interesting.  I'll see if I can find where I read about the Sonos-like multi-room feature...

Kol

Here is a short comparison of DTS:X and Dolby Atmos:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-v8BQFUSwZI6/learn/dts-x-vs-dolby-atmos.html

Oh ya, forgot to ever mention DTS. 

I personally prefer the sound processed by Dolby. And most receivers have both techs built in. 

DTS:X actually sounds more interesting as it let's you put your speakers anywhere you like and the tech works out the rest::

http://www.techhive.com/article/2999543/home-theater/the-next-big-things-in-home-theater-dolby-atmos-and-dtsx-explained.html

Dolby does the same, that's what I mentioned before where Atmos takes a larger advantage of this technology than before.

Basically you put the speakers where you can, and set up a provided mic, attached to the receiver, and it will calibrate each speakers position. Most receivers do that now anyways. It just depends on how well these processing techs use it.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

There's lots of tech like this. Just Dolby and DTS being the biggest names and best reputations.

Ya, that makes 5.1.4 but it's the Atmos that makes it 5.1.4 other wise its technically just 5.1 or a sketchy 9.1 if they use all 9 speakers when not using Atmos.

The Sonos-esk tech comes from the fact that they are wireless probably. But will have to see the range.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

It must have Atmos processing built into the bar. 

And you'll need specific 360 speakers to take advantage of the ceiling firing speaker in the unit.

OK, I've not seen an article mention 360 speakers as yet.  So you think you'll need extra kit on top of these Samsung.  From what I take from the articles, it's Dolby Atmos out of the box.

Well I hope we find out more soon.  Ta. :-)

Kol

Oh ya, forgot to ever mention DTS. 

I personally prefer the sound processed by Dolby. And most receivers have both techs built in. 

Dolby does the same, that's what I mentioned before where Atmos takes a larger advantage of this technology than before.

Basically you put the speakers where you can, and set up a provided mic, attached to the receiver, and it will calibrate each speakers position. Most receivers do that now anyways. It just depends on how well these processing techs use it.

Ah, thanks for the info.  So it seems all these audio technologies are basically the same but made by different people.

Kol

OK, I can't find any mention of multi-room so perhaps I was mistaken.  Multi-room would be ideal though as I'd only need to buy these and few extra Samsung speakers to do the lot. :-)

Kol

Though I will say, if you're looking to buy an Atmos ready system, and you're on a smaller budget, this "could" be an option.

But an Atmos/DTSX ready receiver and individual speakers will be much better. Those top firing speakers will work, but sound doesn't only travel upwards, it fires early to time right, but could be heard early as well than.

Read the Samsung article through, they mention them more, and look up Atmos Ready Speakers.

http://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-to-reveal-groundbreaking-new-soundbar-at-ces-2016

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Ah, thanks for the info.  So it seems all these audio technologies are basically the same but made by different people.

Exactly.

Theoretically the tech has been around for a while. My Yamaha Receiver has 7.2 + 2 and spacial awareness, though I calibrated myself. What the + 2 is, is just multi room. BUT, they have the ability to process 7.2.2 if you put the speakers on your ceiling in front of you. Not official Atmos or DTSX, and cant say whats coming out is solely sounds mixed above the viewer, but its another angle for the audio to reach my ears and my brain to process height. : P

The Cinema experience is sick. But a WICKED home theater can sometimes be better IMO.

AND BUSINESS

IS GOOD!

Exactly.

Theoretically the tech has been around for a while. My Yamaha Receiver has 7.2 + 2 and spacial awareness, though I calibrated myself. What the + 2 is, is just multi room. BUT, they have the ability to process 7.2.2 if you put the speakers on your ceiling in front of you. Not official Atmos or DTSX, and cant say whats coming out is solely sounds mixed above the viewer, but its another angle for the audio to reach my ears and my brain to process height. : P

The Cinema experience is sick. But a WICKED home theater can sometimes be better IMO.

I'm certainly looking forward to getting my 3D audio + HDR setup in a couple of years. :-)

Oh and VR console and PC gaming to boot. ;-)

Kol