Graphic card running only at X1 speed

I dont want to type a lot so i straight come to the point since i have include all the details in the pics. I have 2x sm951 ssd in raid o and 2 x fury x in crossfire. Gpu z is reporting one my cards only running at x1. Can somebody help me explain why im facing this and why is my ssd read speed are terrible (strip size 16kb). Some people say its lane issue i just dont understand because based on the expansion slot specification gigabyte provide from their website some people said i should be running my card at x8 and x8 natively. (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#sp) And also is my graphic card in the wrong slot should i placed my 2nd card on the 3rd slot ?

post-268860-0-02893500-1452496648.gif

post-268860-0-54351300-1452496654.gif

post-268860-0-18762100-1452496671_thumb.

post-268860-0-91914500-1452496680.jpg

post-268860-0-37262000-1452496696_thumb.

I dont want to type a lot so i straight come to the point since i have include all the details in the pics. I have 2x sm951 ssd in raid o and 2 x fury x in crossfire. Gpu z is reporting one my cards only running at x1. Can somebody help me explain why im facing this and why is my ssd read speed are terrible (strip size 16kb). Some people say its lane issue i just dont understand because based on the expansion slot specification gigabyte provide from their website some people said i should be running my card at x8 and x8 natively. (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#sp)

It runs at lower states when it's not under heavy load for power saving.

Shit so thats it :wacko:. How about my ssd speeds ?

Those SSD speeds are very very fast mate... Nothing to worry about as far as I can see, but I am sure I miss stuff on questions like this!!!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Your picture of the liquid cooled pc... assuming thats yours, you did one thing you never do when watercooling... you crossed the tubes...

I don't think you have enough pcie lanes to run the 2nd gpu at x8 so it's running at x1 for some reason. Maybe that mobo doesn't run cards at x4 in that specific slot. The 6700k has 20 pcie lanes and each ssd takes up 4 when running at max speeds so that leaves 12 for both gpus. Not sure how they prioritize the lanes. X99 might have been better in this situation.

I have the 950 Pro and my speeds are about the same as yours so it's most likely that you need more PCIE lanes.

Tl9BXEq.jpg?1

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

But ur 950 is still ok ur read still reach very close but mind is way too off. Yah going to change to x99 and most bullshit problem im facing now no matter how many times i do clean install with the crimson i just cant freaking get the crossfire working....haiz skylake is crap.

I don't think you have enough pcie lanes to run the 2nd gpu at x8 so it's running at x1 for some reason. Maybe that mobo doesn't run cards at x4 in that specific slot. The 6700k has 20 pcie lanes and each ssd takes up 4 when running at max speeds so that leaves 12 for both gpus. Not sure how they prioritize the lanes. X99 might have been better in this situation.

The 6700K has 16 lanes, like previous generation CPUs. M.2 PCIe SSDs use the Z170 chipset's PCIe lanes, not the CPU's.

Your picture of the liquid cooled pc... assuming thats yours, you did one thing you never do when watercooling... you crossed the tubes...

Care to explain cause i just saw other do it so yah i just follow :o

you want all your tubes to flow in the same direction... or at least be orientated in the same way

you want all your tubes to flow in the same direction... or at least be orientated in the same way

This is a rough outline what Andrew is saying.

I cringed when I saw the GPU loop, you've got the flow all messed up and not flowing in 1 direction.

post-59432-0-44264200-1452502625.jpg

press the Green question mark besides the PCI-E speed

the cards go to a lower power state during idle

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

press the Green question mark besides the PCI-E speed
the cards go to a lower power state during idle

Green button u mean there is a render test right. The thing is i did try render it in full screen and the second graphic card is always not in use (the card that shows x1) and the first card is always on load. I check the software and even easier to notice since the fury x have those usage level led indicators. Btw yah i cant get these cards working in crossfire. I tried installing crimson 5 times clean install and even tried the old catalyst manager there is still no crossfire option appearing in the menu. OMG damn stress to get all those working. Nothing works properly on this motherboard.......

This is a rough outline what Andrew is saying.
I cringed when I saw the GPU loop, you've got the flow all messed up and not flowing in 1 direction.

attachicon.gifpost-268860-0-91914500-1452496680.jpg

Tk for the advice i will redo the loop but ditch the flow meter emm maybe i take pic of the whole rig u guys decide where to put it.

The 6700K has 16 lanes, like previous generation CPUs. M.2 PCIe SSDs use the Z170 chipset's PCIe lanes, not the CPU's.

Which means i shouldn't be having any lanes problem so all should be working as it is right ?. the thing is when i was using the crossfire configuration with 1 nvme ssd all was fine eventhough i didnt fully benchmark everything or literally check anything. All was running fine the crossfire was working as it should the ssd speed was okay. Now when add another nvme ssd and do raid 0 and then all hell break lose...

Will redo the loop suggestion welcomed this just my 3rd time doing custom loops.

Also want to ask if im planning to erase the ssd and reinstall os fresh again wt strip size should i use this time and should i use any program to erase this ssd. Some kind secure erase program to wipe clean these sm951 ssd ?. Better if its a program then i can boot using pendrive cause this ssd are my primary drive since i cant do it within windows now.

post-268860-0-95206000-1452514441_thumb.

Also want to ask if im planning to erase the ssd and reinstall os fresh again wt strip size should i use this time and should i use any program to erase this ssd. Some kind secure erase program to wipe clean these sm951 ssd ?. Better if its a program then i can boot using pendrive cause this ssd are my primary drive since i cant do it within windows now.

Use whatever is the default

You don't need to secure erase anything, just format them

Why exatly do you want to re-install Windows??

as for your slow SSD issue, here's a snip from your motherboards user manual:

o3pLInA.png

so in RAID mode you're running both of them at x2 speeds for a combined of x4 on your raid

Which technically shouldn't be limiting anyhow... but that's the only guess I have for you... You're pretty much getting just under a single 950Pro 512GB NVMe drive speeds

still looking into your crossfire isse though...

btw, what collor are the LED power indicators on both of those cards when you're running at idle and using render test?

EDIT: awww... nevermind, I read the table wrong it applies only if you plug in SATA Express device and it would make only the 2nd SSD run at x2 speed, so with current configuration they both should be running at x4

It is quite unfortunate that Gigabyte does not supply a table of PCI-E lane distribution with different setups in their manual, nor do they provide a Board Explorer in UEFI...

EDIT2: Okay, after a lot of time browsing through the manual I worked it out.

So you have 3 PCI-E x16 physical wich are labeled as follows:

PCIEX16

PCIEX8

PCIEX4

and you have two M.2 slots which are labeled as follows:

M2H_32G

M2D_32G

I have highlighted the ports in this Picture:

1IJBcIL.png

And your configuration looks like this:

lbiCGIJ.png

there is nothing wrong with the configuration and everything should be working as expected:

both of your M.2 have ~ 2GB/s each and ~4GB/s total, there should be no bottlenecking

both of your R9 Fury X's should be running at x8 speed and Crossfire should be aviable

For SSD fix you can try NVMe driver installer from: www.samsung.com/samsungssd/

but it's marked only for 950Pro and for my 950 Pro it did help setting up correct and drivers and settings resulting in a boost from SATA speeds to true NVMe speeds

SM951 is OEM only doesn't have any support from Samsung, but you can try maybe it Works

btw, are your SM951 NVMe or ACHI? You would know by looking at product number

If they are ACHI then you're getting very good performance out of that RAID, if they are NVMe however it not that stellar

but it's still better than a single of those can achieve

150407-165908.jpg

as for GPUs try removing all drivers with DDU and install Crimson 16.1 Hotfix

it should offer to enable crossfire

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

where is you display Cable plugged in?

can you try plugging it in the other card and look at the GPU-Z reports again, do the x8 and x1 switch places?

can you get your other card to flash all power LEDs in that way when under stress?

Do both cards turn on all power LEDs while you are booting?

if nothing helps then you will be left to contacting Gigabyte and asking them about the PCI lane distribution in your set up and how to get the Crossfire working

OK one by one now. First the samsung nvme drive cannot be used for the sm 951 since it says nvme drive missing and i have tried and i found out based on the serial number is both ssd are achi so that means from wt u say im getting good performance out of my raid. The sad thing is even then person who sell this didnt inform me about the nvme and achi version of this ssd its sad cause i did told him im getting another to raid 0 so i expect him know wt is he selling me cause if he told me earlier about this i would have not bought another ssd.

Next the indicators on my gpu are red for both. If im playing games like dota and fallout 4 usually the 1st gpu tachometer goes up and down. The second gpu is always 1 bar of red. I tried installing the crimson 5 times including going to safe mode to use ddu to remove all drivers and i even tried the old catalyst manager. None of them showed the crossfire option. Crimson 16.1 did show both the gpu where you can set individual profile and stuff but still no crossfire option in the advance menu.

Tk for ur time really happy with the explanation u gave me very detail and the pics really tk for the extra mile..sometimes u guys really amaze me

can you try plugging it in the other card and look at the GPU-Z reports again, do the x8 and x1 switch places?
can you get your other card to flash all power LEDs in that way when under stress?

if nothing helps then you will be left to contacting Gigabyte and asking them about the PCI lane distribution in your set up and how to get the Crossfire working

I will try that now

Will redo the loop suggestion welcomed this just my 3rd time doing custom loops.

The loops look fine. I'm assuming the board and CPU are in a separate loop from the GPU's, judging by the picture? And running the GPU's in parallel (current config) is also fine. I think people were misinterpreting the first picture.

Aesthetically I like everything aside from the 90 degree elbows, but 90 deg. bends are no walk in the park :P

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

if nothing helps then you will be left to contacting Gigabyte and asking them about the PCI lane distribution in your set up and how to get the Crossfire workingand

Ok this is real when i went to bios set to pcie slot 2 as my primary display and then restart. The gpuz is now reporting "Disables(Crossfire available) which is a good news and i straight went to crimson and the crossfire option is available in the additional settings this is fantastic news for me buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt find something interesting now since most of u said its x1 because its not under load or power saving mode tadaaaaaa dam u gigabyte its x4 you cheated me u damn machine...

post-268860-0-65626000-1452529766.gif

post-268860-0-30162900-1452529771.gif

Ok this is real when i went to bios set to pcie slot 2 as my primary display and then restart. The gpuz is now reporting "Disables(Crossfire available) which is a good news and i straight went to crimson and the crossfire option is available in the additional settings this is fantastic news for me buttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt find something interesting now since most of u said its x1 because its not under load or power saving mode tadaaaaaa dam u gigabyte its x4 you cheated me u damn machine...

Happy that all resolved,

does it stay in x4 under stress as well?

Either way there shouldn't be any issues even with x4

P.S.

post some GPU benchmark scores, mostly I'm interested in Firestrike

Search for 3DMark Demo on steam.

Here's mine running on Dual Fury (non-X)

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6977314

Short answer is you write nonsense.

Long answer is, have you ever heard of serial and parallel flow setups for GPUs? The temp difference is minimal and cooling won´t suffer at all. Neither will this infuence the OCing potential of the cards. The only reason for going with serial is if you OC performance orientated or if you have due to many rads and coolers a realtively low flow rate.

I´m working with custom watercooling for over ten years already and I´ve built a huge variety of PCs, but this never made a big difference.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The loops look fine. I'm assuming the board and CPU are in a separate loop from the GPU's, judging by the picture? And running the GPU's in parallel (current config) is also fine. I think people were misinterpreting the first picture.

Aesthetically I like everything aside from the 90 degree elbows, but 90 deg. bends are no walk in the park :P

Dont have proper silicon tubes to do the 90 bends and im also out of tubes bitspower petg are expensive and comes packed individually and is short compare to primochill petg that i have used in the past its tubes are long come bundle in a box and also cheap. Also lazy to sand the current silicon tubes order a lot of the 90 degree just dont want it wasted.

Short answer is you write nonsense.

Long answer is, have you ever heard of serial and parallel flow setups for GPUs? The temp difference is minimal and cooling won´t suffer at all. Neither will this infuence the OCing potential of the cards. The only reason for going with serial is if you OC performance orientated or if you have due to many rads and coolers a realtively low flow rate.
I´m working with custom watercooling for over ten years already and I´ve built a huge variety of PCs, but this never made a big difference.

Lol actually i followed jayz two centz so i taught my setup should be ok now that u have verify it.

Actually this thread is going to be very helpfull for me if gigabyte say anything weird i dont understand i just send them link to this thread and say whatever u say doesnt make sense gigabyte.

Thanks for this answer you are correct good sir!

Dont have proper silicon tubes to do the 90 bends and im also out of tubes bitspower petg are expensive and comes packed individually and is short compare to primochill petg that i have used in the past its tubes are long come bundle in a box and also cheap. Also lazy to sand the current silicon tubes order a lot of the 90 degree just dont want it wasted.

No worries your setup is perfectly fine.

Lol actually i followed jayz two centz so i taught my setup should be ok now that u have verify it.

Jay is a good guy he knows his stuff. Parallel isn´t a big deal, you can check out my build log and see I run both of my Titan X in parallel and they have a modded BIOS and in 2 hours Unigine Heaven 4.0 Benchmark they never go over 38° Celsius and that with 180mm fans that spin with 400 RPM. My PC produces around 45 DB noise under load, that´s nothing

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Thanks for this answer you are correct good sir!

No worries your setup is perfectly fine.

lol. I can't help myself correct people without watercooling builds suggesting how to "fix" correctly configured water cooling builds. :mellow: I also like the look of flow meters with opaque liquid.

Really need to get around to re-doing my loop :blush:

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |