Does a 10 meters CAT-5e ethernet cable slow down my internet?

Go to solution Solved by Godlygamer23,

Thanks! So there's no need for me to buy a shorter cable, if I want full preformance?

Nope. You're good. The specification allows for 100 meters to get full performance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable#Maximum_cable_segment_length

So, I have a router/modem in my house. From that router, there is a 10 meter long ethernet cable going to my first floor (I know, the cable is way too long for that). At my first floor it's connected to a wireless access point. I actually use the wireless access point as a switch, since it has multiple ethernet ports. So here's my question, how does that 10 meter long cable affect my internet speed?

(I have knowledge about networking TCP/IP and stuff, just not so much on the hardware level)

Thanks!

It doesn't. My NAS is using a 30m cable and it works fine. Over 100MB/s of throughput.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

no it does not

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So, I have a router/modem in my house. From that router, there is a 10 meter long ethernet cable going to my first floor (I know, the cable is way too long for that). At my first floor it's connected to a wireless access point. I actually use the wireless access point as a switch, since it has multiple ethernet ports. So here's my question, how does that 10 meter long cable affect my internet speed?

(I have knowledge about networking TCP/IP and stuff, just not so much on the hardware level)

Thanks!

One of the things that  a switch does is the job of a repeater. That is refreshing the signal, so you shouldn't have a problem there.

It doesn't. My NAS is using a 30m cable and it works fine. Over 100MB/s of throughput.

Thanks! So there's no need for me to buy a shorter cable, if I want full preformance?

Nope. You're good. The specification allows for 100 meters to get full performance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable#Maximum_cable_segment_length

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thanks!

The electrical signal would travel the entire length of that cable in 0.05ms or 50 nanoseconds.

So no.

You can get 10gbit to work on a 10m Cat5e cable. Ethernet cables are generally extremely reliable, unless its been subject of some serious physical abuse it will be fine. There is actually a minimum length in the Ethernet spec of around 1 meter. You can in theory get a bunch of specific electrical problems on very short cables.

the reliability of wireless on the other hand...