LinusChroméTips

mynameajeff

Am I the only one who think it looks like crap?

It looks like it's made from really cheap "chrome" plastic, and the edges seem really rough. 

Yeah, it looks like something you would buy at a thrift store to be quite honest.

Does not look like $1400

I would have liked more of a leather business look 

RyanTheCanadian

Network Administration / Systems Management and Security / White Hat

My computer is the definition of scrapyard wars.

Am I the only one who thinks it looks like crap?

It looks like it's made from really cheap "chrome" plastic, and the edges seem really roughly finished and don't line up properly. A nice brushed aluminium case would look much better IMO. 

When has glossy stuff ever looked premium really?

http://www.lacie.com/gb/en/products/mobile-storage/porsche-design-slim-drive/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

When has glossy stuff ever looked premium really?

The PS4 and XBOX 1

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

RyanTheCanadian

If I was going to splash $1400 on a external drive, I would have expected maybe 2tb at lease of that goodness...and that flap thing completely destroys the looks of that external drive...(but I would have preferred a wooden or leather look...)

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

The PS4 and XBOX 1

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ps4 isn't glossy, it has an accent. 

xbone looks like shit, even microsofts own PR department knows glossy looks like shit because look like how they advertise the elite xbox 

Xbox-One-Elite-Bundle.jpg

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

If I was going to splash $1400 on a external drive, I would have expected maybe 2tb at lease of that goodness...and that flap thing completely destroys the looks of that external drive...(but I would have preferred a wooden or leather look...)

It's 1 TB because of the 

*snort* 

M.2 r/w speeds 

*snort*

RyanTheCanadian

ps4 isn't glossy, it has an accent. 

xbone looks like shit, even microsofts own PR department knows glossy looks like shit because look like how they advertise the elite xbox 

Xbox-One-Elite-Bundle.jpg

What is that?

The non glossy version of that Microsoft VCR?

RyanTheCanadian

What is that?

The non glossy version of that Microsoft VCR?

no, it's the same, just comes with elite controller. They cover up the glossy part with the controller.

and their renders make it look less glossy than it really is. 

0c227779-a487-45c4-b88f-ef90ead29009.jpg

xb1new-41.jpg

Spoiler

The PS4 and XBOX 1

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think Sony got rid of the glossy half of the PS4 :P

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think Sony got rid of the glossy half of the PS4 :P

omg your are actually right. LOL. 

Spoiler

I am no peasant

all I know

Is that the last time I saw a PS4

It was glossy

RyanTheCanadian

no, it's the same, just comes with elite controller. They cover up the glossy part with the controller.

and their renders make it look less glossy than it really is. 

xb1new-41.jpg

Don't remind me of the 

FULL GLOSS XBOX 360 IT WAS SO BAD

RyanTheCanadian

Don't remind me of the 

FULL GLOSS XBOX 360 IT WAS SO BAD

how about a nice beautiful and comfortable full glossy controller?

Spoiler

-snip-

I am no peasant

all I know

Is that the last time I saw a PS4

It was glossy

Someone yesterday shared a picture of his new PS4 and I saw the glossy was gone. A lot better.

Original PS3 was glossy everything, PS3 slim was mostly mat with glossy around the butttons and the Ultra Slim variant got a whole lot of glossy back but also some mat.

Companies know glossy will only look good for about 3 seconds after taking it out of the box, so I can't believe Seagate chose this hideous material

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Someone yesterday shared a picture of his new PS4 and I saw the glossy was gone. A lot better.

Original PS3 was glossy everything, PS3 slim was mostly mat with glossy around the butttons and the Ultra Slim variant got a whole lot of glossy back but also some mat.

Companies know glossy will only look good for about 3 seconds after taking it out of the box, so I can't believe Seagate chose this hideous material

Using glossy surfaces on anything that you need to touch is a bad move. Even things like the front of a case get fingerprints over time. 

Seagate could take some advice from companies like Schiit. Brutally simple design, but looks very clean and actually premium. 

Schiit-Stack-5.png

Using glossy surfaces on anything that you need to touch is a bad move. Even things like the front of a case get fingerprints over time. 

Seagate could take some advice from companies like Schiit. Brutally simple design, but looks very clean and actually premium. 

-snip-

I love Schiit products, I have a asgard 2, simply beautiful. It looks nicer than that segate drive would be sitting on my desk

RyanTheCanadian

3fDcan9.png

WITTTTTH SQUARE SPACE

RyanTheCanadian