Is my CPU bottlenecking my GPU?

I have a i5 650 @ 3.20GHz and R9 280X. I am getting really bad stuttering and low frames in games such as GTA V. I would think this card shouldn't have much of a problem running this game. 

I have a i5 650 @ 3.20GHz and R9 280X. I am getting really bad stuttering and low frames in games such as GTA V. I would think this card shouldn't have much of a problem running this game. 

It's because of the dual core CPU.  GTA and most modern AAA games don't fare too well on dual core CPUs.  

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

It's because of the dual core CPU.  GTA and most modern AAA games don't fare too well on dual core CPUs.  

OK thank you. I was under the impression that my CPU was a quad core

Isn't it also possible that his hard drive is dieing?

Spoiler

Intel G3258 (Corsair H60, OC'd to 4.5 GHz) | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1x8) | Gtx 750Ti | Corsair CX500M | WD Black 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD | Cooler Master Elite 335U (donated by friend)

I would not be surprised if it was dying. Its a WD Blue 500gb that has gone through some tough times  

OK thank you. I was under the impression that my CPU was a quad core

Actually, it's hyperthreaded too so there shouldn't be a problem.  When you play a game, does your CPU hit 100% usage while your GPU is around 40-50%?

It could be but a dying HDD wouldn't cause low framerates.

I would not be surprised if it was dying. Its a WD Blue 500gb that has gone through some tough times  

What's your GPU and CPU clock speeds as well?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

Not really... Hard drive only effect loading time... 

Magical Pineapples

Actually, it's hyperthreaded too so there shouldn't be a problem.  When you play a game, does your CPU hit 100% usage while your GPU is around 40-50%?

I ran the unigine valley benchmark and it didnt cap my CPU. Might try the hard drive replacement and see if that works. I am running a low end 500w power supply. My system has fully crashed when the GPU ramps. Could that be the issue? (yes my system is a mess right now and in the process of upgrading)

Not really... Hard drive only effect loading time... 

If he hard drive is dieing, it takes longer to pull data off of, and therefore causes lag spikes, I experienced issues in the past and ended up replacing my hard drive

Spoiler

Intel G3258 (Corsair H60, OC'd to 4.5 GHz) | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB (1x8) | Gtx 750Ti | Corsair CX500M | WD Black 750 GB 7200 RPM HDD | Cooler Master Elite 335U (donated by friend)

If he hard drive is dieing, it takes longer to pull data off of, and therefore causes lag spikes, I experienced issues in the past and ended up replacing my hard drive

Still it shouldn't cause too much lag spikes only occasionally when it load a new area, the CPU is much bigger bottleneck. 

Magical Pineapples

Still it shouldn't cause too much lag spikes only occasionally when it load a new area, the CPU is much bigger bottleneck. 

it took 15 seconds to get data off the hard drive

Spoiler

it took 15 seconds to get data off the hard drive

Remember the OP didn't mention anything wrong with HDD... he didnt list his spec. From what we could know he could be running off a SSD or M.2. The CPU is much bigger bottleneck as GTA 5 is CPU intensive not HHD intensive . 

Magical Pineapples

I ran the unigine valley benchmark and it didnt cap my CPU. Might try the hard drive replacement and see if that works. I am running a low end 500w power supply. My system has fully crashed when the GPU ramps. Could that be the issue? (yes my system is a mess right now and in the process of upgrading)

It could just be bad power delivery.

It could just be bad power delivery.

OK. I do plan on buying a 600w PSU so hopefully that fixes the problem. Thank you very much for all your help 

OK. I do plan on buying a 600w PSU so hopefully that fixes the problem. Thank you very much for all your help 

What PSU is it?  Some are very bad.

What PSU is it?  Some are very bad.

i was looking at a Rosewill Glacier 600m because its semi-modular. Any good?

It could be but a dying HDD wouldn't cause low framerates.

What's your GPU and CPU clock speeds as well?

My GPU is running at stock (its an MSI R9 280X OC). And hyperthreading is not the same as two extra cores and GTA recommends at least a quad core Intel CPU or an 8 core AMD CPU such as the fx 8350 so im guessing that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. I will end up upgrading all my components in my system. In doing so do you recommend something more then a 600w PSU (note i would like to get a skylake based system)?

i was looking at a Rosewill Glacier 600m because its semi-modular. Any good?

Never heard.  Get one from this list http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/404921-strmfrmxmns-psu-whitelist/.  Seasonic S12II and XFX TS are really good for a cheap price.

My GPU is running at stock (its an MSI R9 280X OC). And hyperthreading is not the same as two extra cores and GTA recommends at least a quad core Intel CPU or an 8 core AMD CPU such as the fx 8350 so im guessing that my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU. I will end up upgrading all my components in my system. In doing so do you recommend something more then a 600w PSU (note i would like to get a skylake based system)?

i3's (2 cores and 4 threads just like your i5) run GTA smoothly so it's not your core count.