RAMDISK benefits on a gaming system?

Gerr

I just upgraded my gaming system to 32GB of RAM.  While I know that is way overkill, it was cheap, so I did it anyway.  I know the 32GB wont give me any gaming benefits over my original 16GB, so I was thinking about maybe implementing a RAMDISK and using that to speed up games, but not sure if it would or how to do that.  Thoughts?

It does nothing for load times. Iv tried it on my system and had no benefit. Also LTT has made a video for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAAHuCshnA

PC: EVGA SR2, 2x Xeon X5690 @ 4.5, 48gb GSkill Trident @ 1810, 2x Evga gtx 980 TI Classy, 6x 850 evo 250gb RAID 0, 2x WD 4tb, Corsair 900D, Custom Loop with Cpus And mobo, 3x Asus VN279q

OTher : EVGA x58 Classified3, Xeon x5679 @ 4.2, 12gb kingston HyperX fury, 2x Evga GTX 670, Adata sp550 120gb, 2x WD 2tb, Corsair Graphite Series 230T, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asus VG236H

what's your motherboard?

if by any chance it's MSI then you can create a RAMDisk in MSI Command Center

otherwise google for Radeon RAM Disk

you can probably dedicate 16~20GB for a RAM Disk

throw your Browser and Temporary folders there and a game or two

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Well i tried Eternal Fate and Infestation Survivor Stories just to get less loading time via RAMDISK and saw no improvement not even in loading times. maybe these games arent that much optimized.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

No benefit, and even if it did have them you'd have to copy the game files over every time you reboot.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Best way to make use of it is have 24 GB renders going in the background while you game, and then editing the 38400x21600 images that result :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

woop... Radeon RAMDisk ain't free no more...

try SoftPerfect RAM Disk

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

No benefit, and even if it did have them you'd have to copy the game files over every time you reboot.

which takes little to no time :|

i know, cuz i got a 24GB RAMDISK specifically for handling heavily modded skyrim to get rid of tex pop

which takes little to no time :|

i know, cuz i got a 24GB RAMDISK specifically for handling heavily modded skyrim to get rid of tex pop

Still a bit of a pain in the butt if it doesn't give you any benefits. Furthermore you have to do it every time you want to play a game that isn't already loaded.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Still a bit of a pain in the butt if it doesn't give you any benefits. Furthermore you have to do it every time you want to play a game that isn't already loaded.

well, for me its no real pain. because ive moved ALL my games onto 850 Evos...

i got a 500GB and a 1TB 850Evo to hold my games. ill get another 1TB 850 Evo the moment i find one on sale again.

Now, tex pop IS an issue RAMDISK help against. but their a pain to "benchmark".... you gotta play a game for quite a while to make sure there is nothing else playing in.

However, when you load up skyrim with 8k textures.... you know there will be tex pop

you know there will be tex pop

id tech 5? is that you?  :ph34r:

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

probably not. Ive used the same nick for 15 years... although there is a few using variations of the name i currently use

No, hahah xD id tech 5 is a game engine, the one used in wolfenstein tno for example - it uses 1 texture for the whole level, meaning you're bound to get pop in if your card's vram isn't up to snuff

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

No, hahah xD id tech 5 is a game engine, the one used in wolfenstein tno for example - it uses 1 texture for the whole level, meaning you're bound to get pop in if your card's vram isn't up to snuff

k

i knew a guy who went under the nick of IDT5 in a shooter game. assumed you knew the same fellow

lol, then you havent used a good program....

What would you recommend then? Because I've had no luck at all with RAMdisk

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What would you recommend then? Because I've had no luck at all with RAMdisk

the ASUS one and DIMMDRIVE is pretty good choices. AMDs can be free (you get only 6GB though with that version), cuz last time i checked, they hadnt completely removed the software from their sites. Usually you can get it by just going to say Gigabyte or ASUSs mobo pages, select any AM3+ or FM2+ board and DL it from there :P

I tried a free one, but that caused so much shit to my games, that i had to uninstall The Witcher 3 and begin anew simply due to it corrupting everything during "loading in" and "loading out".

DIMMDRIVE, although it costs some money, is def the best. It works seamlessly with steam. Like 100% effortlessly. and it DOES allow for easy addition of non-steam games or software.

ASUS one is decent, but require more manual investment

• 1 month later...
On 1/8/2016 at 8:57 PM, WezIax said:

It does nothing for load times. Iv tried it on my system and had no benefit. Also LTT has made a video for this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAAHuCshnA

Use path of exile on a ramdisk. It will load super fast. Other than that, i can't find any use to it. Maybe GTA 5 on a ramdisk so the story mode loads faster but we know how much GB GTA 5 has.