Win10 Updater - No Connection

Go to solution Solved by Bubblez,

I found a solution. I was told that my ISP (Telus) has only recently began using IPv6 with its customers. As a result they are still "ironing out all the kinks" in the system.

This solution might work for you, as it worked for me. Go into your Router/Modems control panel and disable your IPv6. 

This wont effect your internet speed at all, but I have been told that IPv4 is more stable then IPv6.

Hope this helps anybody with this issue.

Hello LTT people.

I had an issue with my Windows 10 (corrupt or deleted system files) and my OS wouldn't boot up. So I did a complete clean install of windows 10, went to Microsoft's website, downloaded the windows 10 and created a bootable USB. I deleted the previous partitions of the old OS, and installed the new Windows 10 without problems.

I finally get into the new windows 10 that I installed, BUT the Windows Updater isn't working. This is the message I keep getting

There were some problems installing updates, but we'll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: (0x824401c)

Searching Microsoft's website reveals that particular error code means that "your PC couldn't connect to the Windows Update Servers"

I've ran the windows Troubleshooter -- Every time it tells me "Windows update components must be repaired" and then it tells me that it "fixed" the problem... but every time I run the trouble shoot the same message comes up. So this may or may not be related.

I've spent a total of 6 hours and 34 minutes on the phone at various times today with Microsoft Support - which kept getting sent to India or the Philippines which added major language barriers to my issue - but they basically told me by the end of the day that they have exhausted all of there options and that it will cost me $150 USD to be sent to the Tier 2 support - unacceptable!!

I don't know what else to try, I'm pulling my hair out here trying to fix the problem, and have been doing research online and trying various found solutions for the past 24 hours... nothing works.

I have clean installed the Win10 OS THREE times at the direction of Microsoft, and that never worked. I checked my Firewalls, but since its a clean install the only firewall is Windows Defender, which shouldn't be blocking Microsoft Windows Updater anyways. My internet works perfectly fine and is running.

It may be a hardware problem, I dont know, but just in case here is my hardware

CPU                           Intel i7-4790K

Motherboard           Asus Maximus VII Hero

GPU                          MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G

Storage (C Drive)   Samsung 512GB SSD

REALLY REALLY hope somebody can help me out... I'm going crazy trying to solve this.

Is this solely a windows 10 problem? Because if it was a connection issue between you and the update services it would probably persist with any microsoft OS in that case. My guess is there's some driver conflictions, have you updated all those (Especially any network drivers)

I have the exact same issue you do. Also went through the exact same experience with Windows Support, even let them remote into my PC so they could run tests to see if any malware was on the system and check the integrity of the OS files.......everything checked out, no fix.... offered me the "premium support service". I am sorry I can't be much help, we are stuck in the same boat.... but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. I'll also post if I figure out any solutions.

My PC Spec

CPU: i5 6500

Mobo: Asus z170m-plus

GPU: GTX 960 SSC

Storage: Samsung 120 GB SSD

CPU: i5 6500 | GPU: GTX 960 SSC | MOBO: Asus Z170m-Plus | RAM: 16GB DDR4 G.Skill | Case: Fractal Designs Node 804 | PSU: EVGA 750w

Is this solely a windows 10 problem? Because if it was a connection issue between you and the update services it would probably persist with any microsoft OS in that case. My guess is there's some driver conflictions, have you updated all those (Especially any network drivers)

Hi KraftDinner. I'll admit that this was something I didn't think of doing after my Clean install. I updated my Intel drivers, My graphics card drivers, and the went to my motherboard drivers website (located here: http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/MAXIMUS_VII_HERO/HelpDesk_Download/ )

On the motherboard driver site I downloaded the latest intel Ethernet driver for my motherboard.

This solved another minor problem I was having, but unfortunately it didn't solve the main problem that I described in my post.

Any more suggestions??? Are there any drivers on that mobo site that you would recommend I try out? (OS is Win10 64-bit)

Does anybody else have any ideas???? I really need help.

I have the exact same issue you do. Also went through the exact same experience with Windows Support, even let them remote into my PC so they could run tests to see if any malware was on the system and check the integrity of the OS files.......everything checked out, no fix.... offered me the "premium support service". I am sorry I can't be much help, we are stuck in the same boat.... but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this thread. I'll also post if I figure out any solutions.

WOW, I can't believe we had the exact same experience... yea, they remote into my PC for 3 hours today too... I also got the line of "nothing we can do except send you to Tier 2 support (premium support).... oh btw, it costs $150 USD" -- Screw you microsoft. 

Is there a way to manually install windows updates and completely bypass the windows updater in windows 10????

I found a solution. I was told that my ISP (Telus) has only recently began using IPv6 with its customers. As a result they are still "ironing out all the kinks" in the system.

This solution might work for you, as it worked for me. Go into your Router/Modems control panel and disable your IPv6. 

This wont effect your internet speed at all, but I have been told that IPv4 is more stable then IPv6.

Hope this helps anybody with this issue.