Intel Components (clarification) For New Server

Hi there, fantastic looking person.

I am researching parts for a planned server build (primary usage is hosting game servers, i.e., minecraft, etc...) and am running into some confusing obstacles.

Disclaimer: I know I can get by just fine with a Pentium and non-ECC RAM, but that's not the point. I am trying to get server-grade parts for a server-grade build.

The CPU, Motherboard, and RAM choices are all throwing me for a loop. I am fairly well versed in typical desktop components, but differences in server components have caught me somewhat off guard. I am currently looking to use an Intel Xeon E3-1245 V5 for a single-CPU setup on the Intel Server Board S1200SPS, which appear to be compatible without a hitch. I like the E3s because they are similar to some i7s I like but are server-oriented with ECC support and such. I am far less familiar with server boards than CPUs and maybe need to look somewhere else for one of the motherboards. (Though it seems Intel is the only vendor right now because of how new the E3 V5s are, is that correct or am I missing something?) The problem with these two parts is the RAM. For whatever reason, the official specs sheet linked here says that it supports DDR4 ECC UDIMMs. DDR4 is perfect. ECC is fantastic. But why UDIMMs? I'd imagine the difference between UDIMMs and their RDIMM counterparts is not very large, but I also had the impression that RDIMM is more "server-y" than UDIMM because of its more stable memory controller. I'd prefer to use RDIMMs if possible, and would be surprised if they didn't work on a Xeon, but maybe I'm just an idiot, who knows...

I guess I am just looking for some guidance. If anyone has an opinion on this, including any alternative parts you think would perform more appropriately, I would be grateful to hear it.

This is my makeshift parts list thus far. It is not complete, so don't treat it as something i've settled on. (PCPartPicker is not whining about compatibility between the RDIMMs and CPU I have listed, but I don't know if they know either)

Edited by Godlygamer23
Removed post sign-off.

-Sneeep-

Is there a specific reason you are getting new?

I go used, and it works just fine. Not to mention you can get the same grade of components for cheaper.

Like for E5-2680 (My chip) I managed to get everything for $475 (Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU). 

You can buy 32 GB of 1333 GHz for $64-70. For minecraft servers, 32 GB should be enough, and timing shouldn't be a huge issue. 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

You're using it for a server. Although having newer hardware is nice and all, people still use older server hardware because it usually costs a lot. Considering that's just server grade entry level i7, I'd rather go with the Xeon E3 1251 v5 simply because it's cheaper. Also server boards are usually picky with RAM, like super picky. This is the first time hearing UDIMM RAM, but with the E3 1251, you could run it with regular RAM, despite it being DDR3.

You're using it for a server. Although having newer hardware is nice and all, people still use older server hardware because it usually costs a lot. Considering that's just server grade entry level i7, I'd rather go with the Xeon E3 1251 v5 simply because it's cheaper. Also server boards are usually picky with RAM, like super picky. This is the first time hearing UDIMM RAM, but with the E3 1251, you could run it with regular RAM, despite it being DDR3.

Depends on the board. I've never had a problem with picky RAM, but that might just be the only thing I am ever lucky with.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Depends on the board. I've never had a problem with picky RAM, but that might just be the only thing I am ever lucky with.

Server grade stuff is always picky since the RAM can affect how the server runs. I've never been a fan of server grade hardware, it's too complicated to go through. I've always liked enthusiast and consumer grade. Also the E3 1251 v3 is kind of a mix of consumer and server grade since the options it has to go with

Is there a specific reason you are getting new?

I go used, and it works just fine. Not to mention you can get the same grade of components for cheaper.

Like for E5-2680 (My chip) I managed to get everything for $475 (Mobo, CPU, RAM, PSU). 

You can buy 32 GB of 1333 GHz for $64-70. For minecraft servers, 32 GB should be enough, and timing shouldn't be a huge issue. 

I definitely haven't ruled out used parts, if reasonable, but whether new or used I still need to figure out what works well together before I get out my wallet.

Server grade stuff is always picky since the RAM can affect how the server runs. I've never been a fan of server grade hardware, it's too complicated to go through. I've always liked enthusiast and consumer grade. Also the E3 1251 v3 is kind of a mix of consumer and server grade since the options it has to go with

I run server stuff...

I even made a guide for it...

I've built a couple systems using server hardware...

I'm running generic Kingston consumer RAM 1333 GHz, on an Intel S2600CP4, with an E5-2680, 700w TR2, and an r9 290x, with hard drives just stacked around.

I definitely haven't ruled out used parts, if reasonable, but whether new or used I still need to figure out what works well together before I get out my wallet.

I'll continue to talk to you tomorrow, I have to leave for a while.

I run server stuff...

I even made a guide for it...

I've built a couple systems using server hardware...

I'm running generic Kingston consumer RAM 1333 GHz, on an Intel S2600CP4, with an E5-2680, 700w TR2, and an r9 290x, with hard drives just stacked around.

Well it's more or less personal opinion. I'm not a person who would need my own server for whatever. If I was making my own server and ran it off of my own hardware, I'd probably try to use cheap consumer grade crap until I'd get a host cause I'd probably be only hosting a minecraft server. It's also in terms of price as well.

I'll continue to talk to you tomorrow, I have to leave for a while.

Okay, thank you for the input.

Well it's more or less personal opinion. I'm not a person who would need my own server for whatever. If I was making my own server and ran it off of my own hardware, I'd probably try to use cheap consumer grade crap until I'd get a host cause I'd probably be only hosting a minecraft server. It's also in terms of price as well.

That's a fair opinion. I've gotten by using an enthusiast desktop for my servers, which shouldn't surprise anyone, but I thought it was about time I built a new dedicated machine with more appropriate server components- but I totally understand where you are coming from.

If I had to do something, and had the option of going cloud-based, I'd go cloud. It's way cheaper up front, and generally decent regardless (Not paying for electricity), and way more reliable. Also, if something goes wrong, you just yell at them and they do it! It's like MAGIC! Also, if they break something, you're not responsible. And if you break something, wait, you cant!

Cloud is fantastic.

Okay, thank you for the input.

That's a fair opinion. I've gotten by using an enthusiast desktop for my servers, which shouldn't surprise anyone, but I thought it was about time I built a new dedicated machine with more appropriate server components- but I totally understand where you are coming from.

Alright, so let me know EXACTLY what you are planning for the server. People, mods, etc.

Alright, so let me know EXACTLY what you are planning for the server. People, mods, etc.

I want it to have some versatility and breathing room, but here are my primary intentions....

Minecraft (Vanilla)

• 1-25 players with some leg room in case...
  • Some plugins but nothing crazy demanding...

Minecraft (Modded)

• 1-40 players, again with leg room considering resource intensiveness...
  • Many mods (100+) and plugins (30+), likely to be resource intensive but still reasonable...
  • Note: I ran a cloud-hosted server on an E5 Xeon and 6GB of ram with same mods and plugins for 10 players without issues. I can easily expand RAM up to 64GB but want to ensure the proper choice in CPU. See additional details below.

Team Fortress 2

• 32 players, normal server environment, nothing too special.

It will be very rare for any more than one of these to be running at a time.

The relevant hardware used by the cloud house is as follows...

• CPUs: Intel Xeon E5-1650v3
  • RAM: ECC DDR3
  • HD: RAID SATA III

I am looking to use a higher end E3 or lower end E5 if really necessary, and up to 64GB of DDR4 ECC RAM, along with a single 256 or 512GB M.2 Samsung 950 SSD to minimize hard drive wait times (I would consider a RAID 10 setup if you believe it to be better to use multiple 850 Pros instead of one 950 Pro M.2). I still need to find a good server board, should I wait for the new C232s to roll out?

-Sneep-

I have one question that will decide where to go with this. 

Do you plan to do all that at the same time?