Why I think 120FPS is bullsh**

threadysparrow

I went ahead and deleted my post

Apparently, according to the people on here, I got some bad advice from my psychology professors. Can a moderator just delete this whole thread please?

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Cool story.

Btw you are so wrong about not being able to see above 30fps.

I'll rephrase that, you can tell the difference between different frame rates, 60 is smoother than 30, 120 is smooth than 60 etc.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

how about 90fps? i still cant go below 60 but i do like "120" still 

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

As far as I know, it's not "seeing more FPS" it's the screen refreshing so fast it's crisp and better looking.

However, I'm one of those people who can't tell the difference from games. I can tell in movies and shows though.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Hi everyone. For a long time I have wanted to get some feedback to this idea that I have had for a while. I posted this on overclock.net and was brutally attacked by a gang of PC nerds who decided that I wasn't enough of a PC nerd to be able to talk about things that I have no business talking about. I told them that I had a degree in psychology and I learned a bit about how the human eye worked and some of them told me that trying to throw my degree around is laughable. I figure you people are a lot nicer, so I came over to this forum instead. I am not trying to say that I am a know it all, I am just taking what I have learned and applying it to technology. And I am only mentioning my psychology degree so you don't think I am full of crap and making this stuff up.

Honestly, I think any framerate over 60 is bullsh**. Why? The human eye, on average, can see 30 fps. Anything lower and it gets jittery, anything higher and it becomes invisible. Here is where my education comes in: how the human eye works is that you have a cluster of cells behind your eyeball called photoreceptors. Basically, those cells send information to the back of the brain via the optic nerve and the brain processes what you see and brings it into your awareness. You then perceive motion, color, and brightness. This process takes time, it can only happen about 30 times a second give or take maybe 5 times depending on the person. What I find interesting is that you never see true fluid motion, what you see is a bunch of images and your brain makes it look like things are moving. So in essence, there is absolutely no way that a person can perceive 120 frames per second. It is humanly impossible. Therefore, I do not understand why people would buy a 240hz TV over a 120hz TV. I know that 120hz TVs mitigate motion blur, but can 240hz really do that much better?

I am only somewhat familiar with how TVs process images so if anyone wants to educate me a bit then I am all ears. Again, my psychology degree only made me qualified to talk about how the brain sees things, not about how technology works.

What do you guys think about all this? What do you think about high Hz TVs?

Then human eye can see way over 30 FPS. 24 FPS is the point where the human eye starts to see things as a video instead of pictures in a sequence. The human eye does not see in frames. FPS is just how quickly monitors show images. Anything over 24 FPS is a video to a human.

Do you genuinely think that monitors over 30Hz would exist if the human eye could not see over that!? I can tell the difference between 120FPS, 60FPS and 30PFS.

Maybe you should fix your eyes or something because if you can't tell the difference between 30Hz and 60Hz, your eyes are very, very broken.

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

Hi everyone. For a long time I have wanted to get some feedback to this idea that I have had for a while. I posted this on overclock.net and was brutally attacked by a gang of PC nerds who decided that I wasn't enough of a PC nerd to be able to talk about things that I have no business talking about. I told them that I had a degree in psychology and I learned a bit about how the human eye worked and some of them told me that trying to throw my degree around is laughable. I figure you people are a lot nicer, so I came over to this forum instead. I am not trying to say that I am a know it all, I am just taking what I have learned and applying it to technology. And I am only mentioning my psychology degree so you don't think I am full of crap and making this stuff up.

Honestly, I think any framerate over 60 is bullsh**. Why? The human eye, on average, can see 30 fps. Anything lower and it gets jittery, anything higher and it becomes invisible. Here is where my education comes in: how the human eye works is that you have a cluster of cells behind your eyeball called photoreceptors. Basically, those cells send information to the back of the brain via the optic nerve and the brain processes what you see and brings it into your awareness. You then perceive motion, color, and brightness. This process takes time, it can only happen about 30 times a second give or take maybe 5 times depending on the person. What I find interesting is that you never see true fluid motion, what you see is a bunch of images and your brain makes it look like things are moving. So in essence, there is absolutely no way that a person can perceive 120 frames per second. It is humanly impossible. Therefore, I do not understand why people would buy a 240hz TV over a 120hz TV. I know that 120hz TVs mitigate motion blur, but can 240hz really do that much better?

I am only somewhat familiar with how TVs process images so if anyone wants to educate me a bit then I am all ears. Again, my psychology degree only made me qualified to talk about how the brain sees things, not about how technology works.

What do you guys think about all this? What do you think about high Hz TVs?

You, sir are incredibly wrong. 24 FPS is where the human eye stops being able to tell the difference between a set of images and a fluid movie. If you get 120FPS in a game on a 120Hz monitor, you will be able to feel the difference. Everything will appear smoother, especially when turning round very quickly in games. Think about it. At 60Hz, you waggle your mouse around and you compare that with 120Hz, you will be able to see how much more smooth the movement is. I can't even explain how wrong you are with words. Just try it and then come back and tell me you can't see more than 30 FPS. Please try not to make such bold false statements and make an idiot out of yourself without having the experience of using 120Hz monitors and comparing them to 60Hz monitors. Take a look at what Jackbe said. If you couldn't see over 30 FPS, they wouldnt make 120Hz monitors. 

Feel free to message me if you want to chat!

It's not about seeing the fps. I have a ASUS 144hz monitor and it's very much noticeable how more smooth it is compared to 60 hz. It's a day and night experience.

My System:

CPU: i7 4790k @ stock GPU: EVGA GTX 780 FTW MB: ASUS Z97-PRO (Wi-Fi ac) RAM: CORSAIR Dominator 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 2133 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i SSD: 2 256 GB Samsung 840 Pros in RAID-0 HDD: Western Digital 500 GB Black, Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache PSU: Cooler Master V850 80 Plus Gold Case: Fractal Define R4

I posted this on overclock.net and was brutally attacked by a gang of PC nerds who decided that I wasn't enough of a PC nerd to be able to talk about things that I have no business talking about.

For a good reason, because you don't know what you are talking about.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I am sorry, but in game I can already notice a difference between 60Hz and 75Hz. And also; the human eye does not see in "frames per second".

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

I'm going to go out there and point out that not everything you learn in school can be up to date and accurate to start. 
I also say the there is a HUGE difference between 30, and 60 FPS. Now talking 60 - 120 is where you might get into a big argument. Even I can notice the differance between 30 and 60. Can I see at 60 FPS? maybe not, but I sure can tell the difference when plating a game. 
So really I think the highest a TV should go in Hz is 120, nothing above is needed as far as I know. 

For a good reason, because you don't know what you are talking about.

Trua dat

If you think anything more than 30 fps is invisible you need to go to an ophthalmologist.

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

TROLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. Somebody went full retard and realised :P 

Well done

Fractal Design Define S, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz, Noctua NH-D14, Asus Sabertooth Z77, EVGA 980Ti SC+, 4x8GB Corsair Vengence 1600MHz, EVGA P2 1000W, Creative sound blaster Z, 2xSamsung 850 120GB RAID 0, 2xWestern Digital Caviar Black 1TB Other stuffs: BenQ XL2411t, LG Flatron M2262D, Ducky Shine 3, Logitech G400s, Steelseries QCK Heavy, Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm, Shure SE215, Blue Snowball

Shame. It appears you can't back up your 'facts' that you know from getting your degree.

Abandon_thread.gif

So untrue... When people can see a difference, they obviously can see more then 30fps... There is a reason bf4 is running 60fps 720p instead of 30fps 1080p on console..

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

NO, Linus did a video proving he can see difference between 120hz and 60hz!

It's an ncix video look it up

NO, Linus did a video proving he can see difference between 120hz and 60hz!

It's an ncix video look it up

Stoop with that gif its making me insane so i can only see 30fps!

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

no, this one!

First of all, here's Linus' video of the subject. Human can see the difference between 60 and 120 Hz.

http://youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB

But why is it different than what you have been told? I don't know. Maybe it's like someone already said: 24 fps is when pictures become motion, but motion can still be smoother.

EDIT: Sorry, the link doesn't work since I'm on a phone but someone posted the video already.

no, this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2IF9ZPwgDM

how do you make it a video?

Lol woops :D

What kind of PC and Screen do you have then...

I have a 3570K and GTX 680 SC+ 2GB. I have used a BenQ 120Hz TN monitor and thought it was dumb for it's price. Now I use a 21:9 60Hz LG IPS monitor with low response time.

My TV is 120Hz Samsung Smart TV.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Lol woops :D

how do you make it a video?!?