3D printer fillament cost

blu4
Go to solution Solved by Guest,

Depends how you print the mug - the thicker, larger and more complex the design means more material. 1KG of plastic is using $50-$60.

Hi guys,

I got a job at a new place and they have 2x 3D printers :> I want to use them at some point but there is a possibility of paying for the filament. Can anyone tell me how much does it cost? I'm not saying the entire spool but let say... a printout of a normal size coffee mug?

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Depends how you print the mug - the thicker, larger and more complex the design means more material. 1KG of plastic is using $50-$60.

I've heard some 3D printed stuff is actually not safe to be in contact with things you eat/drink, so I would look into that first...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Thanks. That is the answer I saw looking for.

I've heard some 3D printed stuff is actually not safe to be in contact with things you eat/drink, so I would look into that first...

Yea, the acidity of food can break down plastic- yuck... I wasn't planning on using it, just as an example :)

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

I wasn't planning on using it, just as an example :)

Ok good :)  My friend told me of a mechanical engineering final year project someone he knew did where they designed and built a machine to 3D print chocolate, but due to time constraints they had to 3D print the nozzle for the printer itself, and so none of it was edible :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 9 months later...
On 1/6/2016 at 0:37 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can get food safe materials, I think PETG is food safe, usually the issue is bacteria getting trapped between layers on the print. 

ASU