HD600/650's vs o2 amp

Rhizo

So I've been using the k702's paired with a fiio e10 for a fair while now and have decided I'd like to invest into my audio a little bit more.

If I get an o2, I'd be using the e10's line out for it's dac so that's taken care of. I'm just wondering if it's worth getting the o2, or if buying different headphones (such as the hd600/650 which would only cost me about 30% more than the amp) would be a better idea.

My source is a computer 99% of the time.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Current rig: i5 2500k & Gtx 560ti With Filco MJ1 TKL & Neutron Gtx 120gb SSD

Don't think the 600/650's will sound any better, in fact theyhave a less neutral sound signature. And much earlier roll-off on both high and low.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

E10K can't max out the K702's, but it should be enough to be loud.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------( < the bottom line)

Save it for something else.

Don't think the 600/650's will sound any better, in fact theyhave a less neutral sound signature. And much earlier roll-off on both high and low.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD650.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

E10K can't max out the K702's, but it should be enough to be loud.

Having a 'neutral' sound signature doesn't make a headphone sound any 'better'... I'm basically asking if a different flavour of headphone (dark vs bright) would provide a more noticeable difference than buying an o2.

Thanks,

Having a 'neutral' sound signature doesn't make a headphone sound any 'better'... I'm basically asking if a different flavour of headphone (dark vs bright) would provide a more noticeable difference than buying an o2.

Thanks,

But when you're trading in a neutral pair of headphones for another flat pair of cans with more roll-off, it's objectively worse. Neither of those cans has an outspoken "happy" EQ, the K702 is just "better". They are also all open-backed cans. Had you said something like a pair of Philips Fidelio X2's, or Bowers & Wilkins P7's  (cans with outspoken characters/coloration) it would have been different.

And you won't notice a difference with the O2 either on that K702, except for maybe a bit more output volume. That EK has a nice low output impedance and is transparent enough to not cause coloration. It also has decent channel seperation.

But when you're trading in a neutral pair of headphones for another flat pair of cans with more roll-off, it's objectively worse. Neither of those cans has an outspoken "happy" EQ, the K702 is just "better". They are also all open-backed cans. Had you said something like a pair of Philips Fidelio X2's, or Bowers & Wilkins P7's  (cans with outspoken characters/coloration) it would have been different.

And you won't notice a difference with the O2 either on that K702, except for maybe a bit more output volume. That EK has a nice low output impedance and is transparent enough to not cause coloration. It also has decent channel seperation.

This talk is kind of silly. While the K702 has slightly less roll-off, it appears to have marginally worse power handling and a less even treble.

Historically, the HD6x0 has been considered at least as good as the K702, so it could be a side grade. Most likely whether or not is is an improvement would come down to personal preference for sound signature.

I haven't heard the O2, so I don't know if it is better than the E10K. I do know that the Schiit Magni 2 Uber is very slightly better than the original E10. Mostly more control in the sub-bass. Sounds less harsh at high volumes, which could be imagination.

This talk is kind of silly. While the K702 has slightly less roll-off, it appears to have marginally worse power handling and a less even treble

But if you look at the impulse response, you'd say the K702 has a more open soundstage, since it has better coil control and thus less "bleeding" of tones.

K702 has a neutral sound signature but it can come off as dry or boring sounding to some. If you enjoy listening to music by doing critical listening, this headphone is the better one

HD600 and 650 are your warm sounding headphones. The greatest strength of these headphones is the vocal. However, the sub-bass is quite rolled off. If you prefer a richer tone in your music, pick HD600 or 650

Personally, just upgrade to HE-500

But if you look at the impulse response, you'd say the K702 has a more open soundstage, since it has better coil control and thus less "bleeding" of tones.

I have not seen any substantive evidence that impulse response correlates with soundstage. Interesting theory, I guess.

The CSDs I can find do not show significant rining on either headphone in the 5-10kHz band.

Or HE-560.

I have not seen any substantive evidence that impulse response correlates with soundstage. Interesting theory, I guess.

It's the same effect a high output impedance has, less/slower dampening. Thus bass tones that bleed into the mids, etc.

It is a theory though, indeed.

Or HE-560.

So basically, there's no point to side grade or get an amp for the sake of it. Got that sorted!

Now although I'd love a pair of he-500's, I wear my headphones for long period of time so I'd probably want to go for the HE-560's for the headband along, but at that point it gets a bit too expensive for me...

If you include amp and headphones into the cost, what do you think would be the best upgrade for max like 4-500 GBP?

Thanks for the input,

So basically, there's no point to side grade or get an amp for the sake of it. Got that sorted!

Now although I'd love a pair of he-500's, I wear my headphones for long period of time so I'd probably want to go for the HE-560's for the headband along, but at that point it gets a bit too expensive for me...

If you include amp and headphones into the cost, what do you think would be the best upgrade for max like 4-500 GBP?

Thanks for the input,

Sounds like you caught a case of upgraditis. Your current budget is at the awkward point between midfi and summit-fi territory, and I don't think any potential upgrades are worth it compared to what you already have. But if you just want new toys and something different then go ahead, I'd get Fostex Th-x00 or whatever mentioned above.

Thanks for the input,

If you still don't have enough my suggestion is to buckle down and don't upgrade until you have enough. Doing the upgrade half-way will only leave you wanting more.

With a solid on-board audio, you'd only need something like magni 2 (uber).

You could always find used HE-560 in headfi although being located in UK, it might be a tad harder

Sounds like you caught a case of upgraditis. Your current budget is at the awkward point between midfi and summit-fi territory, and I don't think any potential upgrades are worth it compared to what you already have. But if you just want new toys and something different then go ahead, I'd get Fostex Th-x00 or whatever mentioned above.

Yeah pretty much. Although, I found a pair of alpha dogs within my price range, and I'm seriously considering it.

If you still don't have enough my suggestion is to buckle down and don't upgrade until you have enough. Doing the upgrade half-way will only leave you wanting more.

With a solid on-board audio, you'd only need something like magni 2 (uber).

You could always find used HE-560 in headfi although being located in UK, it might be a tad harder

Looking on headfi could be a good idea... I'll probably try to get an o2 at some point, since I'll be upgrading eventually, but for now I'll just save till summit-fi haha.

Thanks,